PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge#11

parm
10-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Speed Modelling Challenge#11
Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Subject - Bugs, Insects and Creepy Crawlies

Can be real or imaginary. Anything from Bacteria or Nano-tech to Butterflies and Moths.

geothefaust
10-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Awesome... I'm going to have to come up with something good for this one. Thanks for shooting this one off Parm!

COBRASoft
10-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Parm, you forgot the time limit :)

IMI
10-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Here we go - a lone Bacillus bacterium.
Modeling time - maybe 4 seconds.

Nah, just kidding. :D

I suspect this category is going to get alot of really cool entries. :)

Hopper
10-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Is that your fancy name for rat poop? If it is .. man, that's a good one. :D

IMI
10-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Is that your fancy name for rat poop? If it is .. man, that's a good one. :D

Yeah - bacillus = rat poop
Don't be such a plebian. ;)

parm
10-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Parm, you forgot the time limit :)

Oh yes! whoops:)

Copied and pasted week ten, without reading it. Silly me. The time limit is one hour and the deadline 22:00 GMT 29 Oct 2008.

Nice start IMI.

I know that you guys will come up with some very cool models this week.

geothefaust
10-22-2008, 11:58 PM
...And looking forward to it. Just need to think of something cool first.

Korvar
10-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Here's what I'm currently working on. Approximately 60 minutes - I forgot to set my timer or check the time when I started, so I may be a minute or two either way. Currently finding out how little I know about rigging - my skelegons have turned out to be all strange when turned into bones - 180 and 90 degree banking angles turning up everywhere.

IMI
10-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Looks good so far Korvar.
As for your skelegon troubles, what you describe is what happens when you begin a chain in one viewport and continue it in other viewports, IIRC. You need to draw all your skelegons in one vierwport then drag them into position when you're finished creating them.

Better to do it in Layout with bones though, IMO.

Korvar
10-23-2008, 10:38 AM
I think you may be right :)

Having moved on from discovering I don't know how to rig, I am currently finding out how little I know about surfacing :) I have also decided weightmaps don't count as modelling, so will add them for surfacing and Fiber FX purposes.

JeffrySG
10-23-2008, 10:45 AM

Nah, just kidding. :D

This is probably the deadliest entry we'll see though! :thumbsup:

cresshead
10-23-2008, 10:49 AM
...the black death is on my 'to do list'...

parm
10-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Nice going Korvar.

You're right, surfacing doesn't count in the modelling time. Be interesting to see what happens with your Fibre FX explorations.

I've got some reference. So I think I'll start mine after my tea. :)

Korvar
10-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Here he is, covered in poison hairs to protect him from birds. Rigged by vaguely following the excellent Inch Worm rigging tutorial (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90280) by the inimitable William Vaughan.

Things I will try and remember to do next time:

pre-bend the critter to make IK work better
recognise faster when I need to model a bit separately & combine later (the legs, in this case)
either avoid skelegons, or learn how the darn things work

parm
10-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Using bones is probably a bit too time consuming in a speed modeling challenge Korvar. But adding the pose to the model does give it much more character.

Here's my first effort, an Ant. I used the full 60min. Spent the last fifteen minutes or so, tweaking sloppy modeling and almost forgot the antennae.

Korvar
10-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Well, the bones and stuff all takes part after the modelling (or so I have told myself), and it's all good practice - which I definitely need!

Nice ant :)

Pamela G. Juust
10-23-2008, 04:24 PM
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/366/putulutunv1.jpg

full 60 minutes. could have used an extra 10 minutes for legs.
very nice ant parm.

Korvar
10-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Impressive!

parm
10-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Terrific model there Pamela :thumbsup:

Pamela G. Juust
10-23-2008, 04:57 PM
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6439/kilucopyae5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

IMI
10-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Those look great, Parm and Pamela!
I'm seriously jealous of you guy's talent.

I'm going to go ahead and post a screenie what I've been working on. I already reached the one hour limit and got only this - the beginnings of a butterfly. My idea was to model one half then mirror it.
I'm afraid I'm just no good at complex organic subpatch modeling. After a full hour all I have is a pair of wings and a rough body shape.
Oh well, I'm not complaining - it's actually been fun, really, and although however this turns out will be disqualified, I want to finish it. I'm really looking forward to getting to the painting part - another reason why I'm only making one half. I'll mirror it all after I UV it, and then the texture will be identical on each side, like a real butterfly. A fresh one that hasn't gotten injured, scraped or dirty yet, that is. ;)

When I finish it I'll show a wireframe too. Right now it's not so great - hopefully I can fix it up some, but there's no way I'd be able to finish this in probably even a few more hours.

RollerJesus
10-23-2008, 10:30 PM
A little under an hour for the model, needs a lot of work. Fun choice though on the category.

That's a nice looking bug there Pamela.

art
10-23-2008, 11:51 PM
I can only envy the talent as well. Here is my spider. Modeling took me about 35 minutes.

parm
10-24-2008, 12:20 AM
That's a pretty nice spider Art.

I'm afraid I'm just no good at complex organic subpatch modeling. After a full hour all I have is a pair of wings and a rough body shape.
Oh well, I'm not complaining - it's actually been fun, really, and although however this turns out will be disqualified, I want to finish it.

You could always start the clock again. Using what you've learned and perhaps changing your approach slightly, to get a more complete model in under an hour.

Tip: Keep all the forms as simple sample as possible, (ie boxy, tweak and refine last). Use copy and paste to re-use segments. Also, it's quicker to connect sections using the Bridge tool, than to try and 'sculpt' a complex shape like a leg from one long tube.

OlaHaldor
10-24-2008, 04:22 AM
Nice spider, art. Even those little fangs.. Dang, those creep me out. It's not the total size with their legs and all spread out - but the way they behave and move so.... odd? Even on vertical surfaces - no matter what surface. *eek* And the fact that they MAY lose a leg to save their life, if I pick them up by one.. *gosh*

great model - would be cool with some FiberFX! :thumbsup:

Kuzey
10-24-2008, 06:31 AM
Oooooh....this challenge is on to a great start :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Here's a dragon fly, I stop keeping track at about 1 hour and 40mins. I didn't have a good reference for the head and spent most of the time changing it back and forth. I'm still going to redo the head.

ps. this is going to be another robot :hey:

Kuzey

JeffrySG
10-24-2008, 06:45 AM
really great entries so far, everyone! some fabulous work going on!

parm
10-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Very cool Dragonfly Kuzey, lots of detail. I like how you've done the wings, that's a good solution.

grn
10-24-2008, 10:03 AM
http://3d-output.com/spAce/images/challenge_11_larva.jpg

I used the free GENE plugin for the "hair".

grn
10-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Here's the missing wire:
http://3d-output.com/spAce/images/challenge_11_larva_fw.jpg

geothefaust
10-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Wow, everyone, GREAT submissions already. Fantastic stuff. Who ever the judge is on this one is going to have a hard time. :)

parm
10-24-2008, 11:22 AM
A fairly liberal interpretation of Bumble Bee, to add to the collection. I used the full 60 minutes for this. Would have liked to connect the legs and wings to the main mesh though.

I'm going to have a look at Fibre Fx over the weekend. See if I can get a decent render of it.

Korvar
10-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Very nice indeed!

IMI
10-24-2008, 01:03 PM
You could always start the clock again. Using what you've learned and perhaps changing your approach slightly, to get a more complete model in under an hour.

Tip: Keep all the forms as simple sample as possible, (ie boxy, tweak and refine last). Use copy and paste to re-use segments. Also, it's quicker to connect sections using the Bridge tool, than to try and 'sculpt' a complex shape like a leg from one long tube.

Great advice, thanks. :)

Iain
10-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Great topic, Parm, and great entries!

Well done on all of the entries so far. Very high quality throughout!

Pamela G. Juust
10-25-2008, 04:16 PM
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7539/leemurhj1.th.jpg (http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=leemurhj1.jpg)

always loved these little buggers crawling around.

Tiger
10-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Sorry..can`t stay away from LW..nice to see all the activities here!
Makes me wanna model again..and oh..nice buggs ;^)

dwburman
10-26-2008, 12:48 AM
The bugs look good. I was just thinking that the next contest (or the one after that) should be Halloween related. You're probably way ahead of me on that one. If it were specifically jack-o-lanterns we could see how different people approach modeling the same thing as well as see all the different designs on the pumpkins.

Of course, that's just a suggestion. Feel free to ignore it. :D

Iain
10-27-2008, 05:00 AM
A Stag Beetle.
Modelling time was about 40 minutes.

I really need to work on my organic modelling-I only use about 3 tools.:)

art
10-27-2008, 07:24 AM
In that case I really really really really need to work on my organic modeling.
This beetle looks great.

Pamela, very nice model, these bugs always creep me out.

Nangleator
10-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Stag beetle! Awesome!

First time I saw one of those, I thought it heralded Satan's approach. Turns out they're harmless.

JCG
10-28-2008, 05:01 AM
It's a lady-like butterfleetle!
A little bit butterfly, a little bit beetle.

If we fail to notice that there's actually no bug inside of the bug and that she has six middle legs >_<;; you could almost say that I almost finished.

geothefaust
10-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Man great work everyone, seriously. This is the best turn out for killer work IMHO on any of these. :thumbsup:

Looks like I wont have time to really make an entry. I'm working on learning Lscript and how to properly use expressions. :o

Weepul
10-29-2008, 04:46 AM
More like 90 minutes. :thumbsdow

It's a ladybug larva. I'd seen these things around when I was young but only recently found out what the heck these ugly but nifty guys are! :)

Korvar
10-29-2008, 04:50 AM
Very nice!

colkai
10-29-2008, 04:50 AM
Some cracking work here guys! :)
:(

IMI
10-29-2008, 05:53 AM
Yeah, these entries here are all really good!
I especially like the stag beetle and the ladybug larva, for a couple of reasons - 1, great modeling, but 2, I've always loved those insects. I used to keep the stag beetles I found when I was a kid, and I used to watch the ladybug larvae feast upon the aphids in my mom's garden. Fun stuff in a really geeky way. Well, I was a geeky kid. ;)
( I would have loved to have seen a praying mantis or a dobson fly adult or larva - other favorites of mine)

I never did get to finish my butterfly, because Far Cry 2 came out in the middle of this challenge, and... well, not a great excuse, but it's the sad, sorry truth. ;)

EXCELLENT work everybody has done here!

BlueApple
10-29-2008, 06:54 AM
6 minute insect model... woo hoo.

ANS
10-29-2008, 07:03 AM
Here's my bug come :)

ANS
10-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Color version....

cagey5
10-29-2008, 01:19 PM
My first go at this style of organic modelling.

I've attached the image I based it on, found on the web.

JeffrySG
10-29-2008, 01:22 PM
love all of these! :D

TripD
10-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Simply can't compete with this stuff! Kudos everyone!

Iain
10-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks to Parm for starting this one off. Great subject too. He'll post the winner when ready.

Nr 12 is up (15 minutes early but we'll need it)...........

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=773836#post773836

Great topic suggested by Geothefaust.

parm
10-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Oh dear, I've got to choose.

Not going to be easy, there's so much to like about all of them.:thumbsup:

Let you know tomorrow.

parm
10-30-2008, 05:19 AM
Ok. Here it is:

The winner of Speed modelling challenge number 11 is: Cagey5 with his cartoon Ant.

Needless to say. That due to the high standard of entries, it was a very difficult choice to make. But I felt Cagey clinched it, by including his reference material. Which I think he matched really well, bringing the character to life with very economical modelling.

Very hot on his heels were Pamela G. Juust, and her bug with long elegant Antennae. And ANS with his incredibly highly defined Beetle.

I thoroughly enjoyed all the models. So thanks to everyone who participated. Good luck with Numer 12:thumbsup:

Korvar
10-30-2008, 05:24 AM
Congrats to Cagey5 :)

BlueApple
10-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Well deserved congratulations, Cagey5. Everyone had great pieces, especially ANS (love the leg design on the beetle.)

This was a great topic, I just wish I'd had time this week to submit a real model :(

cagey5
10-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Wow! I never saw that coming. I thought there were some excellent entries this time and feel somewhat flattered to have sneaked this one, first time I've won anything to do with 3D. Cheers Parm. :D

Now to go and think of something for next weeks challenge... Hmmm I'll p.m. Iain when I have something.

Iain
10-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Congratulations Cagey! As Parm said it was a very efficient bit of modelling.

geothefaust
10-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Congrats cagey. :thumbsup: Killer model. I really loved this weeks challenge, everyone did such a great job, and participation was top notch.

JeffrySG
10-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Congrats cagey5! :)

parm
10-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Cheers Parm. :D

My pleasure. It was well deserved.

I did end up playing a bit with FFX on my Bumble Bee, and I'm just about to pop the result up in the 9.5 Gallery. If anyone cares to take a look.

Pamela G. Juust
11-01-2008, 06:26 AM
grats cagey