PDA

View Full Version : Dropped Frames

Lew
02-24-2003, 08:23 AM
All of a sudden I'm getting dropped frames when I capture. Happens approx. every 6 seconds. (5:27 to 6:04) Noticed glitches in captured video, then set it to stop on dropped frames. Happens like clockwork.

Timed and time laps are turned off. Checked preferences and don't see anything that is set different. Reran autoconfig, no change. Editor only so no BOB, hooked up different input decks, no change.

Any words of wisdom appreciated.
Lew

Rich Deustachio
02-24-2003, 08:49 AM
Have you installed any new software recently? If not you might want to run a test on your video array, you might have a bad hard drive.

Lew
02-24-2003, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the reply Rich,
Just formated the stripe set, it says healthy (at risk). I'm thinking that means a slow or bad drive, but haven't seen that message before. How would you issolate the bad drive?
Lew

Lew
02-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Just a fast update, tried different drives and had the same problem. Downloaded the latest patch 3890, and after install the problem seems to be gone. Have no idea what kink of software glitch would cause that 6 second limit to happen. Still worried about that (at risk) message on my video drives, but I'm working at the moment.
Lew

Paul Lara
02-24-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Lew
Still worried about that (at risk) message on my video drives, but I'm working at the moment.

...and you should be worried, Lew. That's a clear indication that the indicated drive is 'listing heavily to starboard'.

Lew
02-25-2003, 08:46 AM
Thanks Paul, I was afraid that was the case. Hope to keep them going until I finish the current project!

Any good advice on how to issolate the bad drive? It's 4 18gig SCSI's, 10,000/rpm Seagates. Just moved to a new location, any chance it's just loose connections? Don't want to jiggle with it until I get this project out, if possible.

Lew

Lew
02-26-2003, 06:56 AM
One last update. Scandisk found 9 bad clusters, no more "at risk" message. Probably would pay to run scandisk on the video array everyonce in awhile. Just a fast format won't find and mark bad clusters.
Sometimes we forget the basics.
Lew