PDA

View Full Version : Animating objects along a spline

larkis
10-22-2008, 12:14 AM
I'm trying to animate an object (think Chinese dragon) to come from the side of the frame and go into a corkscrew around another object and then fly out of the frame. What i have tried is the bone chain trick where i morph the object along a bone chain to get a roller coaster type of effect. I have also tried meta linking the object to a cloth simulated ribbon.
The simulation approach waves around to much and i'm not sure how i can have it lock to the path without any secondary motion happening around the turns.
The bone chain approach is the closest to what i want but the path is not easily editable in layout after 100 or so bones get created. I need to be able to easily tweak the path as i'm working. Does anyone have any other ideas ? Can the inertia plugin do this without distorting my model ? I know if works well with tubes but the dragon has hands and horns that can't drag behind and distort.

Any help would be great.

Surrealist.
10-22-2008, 12:29 AM
Do yo have a screen shot of the object?

And is it all one piece?

larkis
10-22-2008, 12:37 AM
Do yo have a screen shot of the object?

And is it all one piece?

I can't show the object due to NDA, but it's all in one piece. It's a thin long chinese dragon.

SplineGod
10-22-2008, 07:22 AM
Easiest way would be to use DStorms trailer plugin. After that you could try LWs serpent plugin, curve conform. Other 3rd party tools that might also work....FIs Bezier bend or Shift Spline Transform.
Dr Snake Maker in relativity might also work.

larkis
10-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Easiest way would be to use DStorms trailer plugin. After that you could try LWs serpent plugin, curve conform. Other 3rd party tools that might also work....FIs Bezier bend or Shift Spline Transform.
Dr Snake Maker in relativity might also work.

Do you know if there is a UB version compile of the plugin (trailer) floating around somewhere ? It does not want to get added to my UB lightwave (the plugin has a .p extension.

SplineGod
10-22-2008, 01:09 PM
I have no idea. I dont know if Dstorm has a UB version or not. Some of the others come with LW or may be lscripts.