PDA

View Full Version : Ridley Scott to make The Forever War

Puguglybonehead
10-21-2008, 05:11 PM
One of my all time favorite sci-fi novels is finally going to be made into a feature film, and by one of my favorite directors, no less! Ridley Scott has finally acquired the movie rights to Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War".

here (http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/10/13/the-forever-war-ridley-scott-returns-to-sci-fi/)

Netvudu
10-21-2008, 05:48 PM
I donīt get why you have to make a case of this, just because my favourite filmmaker ever is going to make a movie on one of the best scifi novels...:p

Nangleator
10-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Wow, one of the best doing one of my childhood favorites.

Been a while since I read it. A bit dark, no?

Pretty damned good thing it's Scott and not Verhoeven. If that bastard ever craps out something stinky and calls it Stranger in a Strange Land or Ringworld I may have to melon ball my eyes out. Or his.

jin choung
10-22-2008, 12:18 AM
man i love this book so much!

finally a space war that takes relativity into account!!! awesome that they gotta watch out for time dilation and speed and not being sure what "era" their opponents might end up being from. (plot point also featured in a surprisingly cool anime series called "gunbusters" which sounds stupid as f but good series!)

man, i hope they don't blow production design though. not that rs isn't a consummate designer but it's so easy for oldsters to just regurgitate what they've already done and not try for something really innovative.

jin

Red_Oddity
10-22-2008, 02:27 AM
Man, this is one of the comics i read as a kid and i still remember most imagery.
Hope Scott hasn't kitty-fied (can't say female cat appearantly) as much as Spielberg and Lucas so we can expect the raw version we'd all expect it to be.

Netvudu
10-22-2008, 04:54 AM
is there a comic on Haldemanīs "The Forever war"?

Bog
10-22-2008, 05:02 AM
Mmmph. I'm really looking forward to this.

I've got a good feeling about this drop ;)

gerry_g
10-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Last I read about Mr Scott he was signed to do Aldous Huxley's Brave New World through Leonardo De Caprio's production company and had got serious backing, who knows what this mans up to but he sure seems to be on a SF bender right now, besides isn't The Forever War a trilogy, I don't see Ridley don't trilogies

jin choung
10-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Last I read about Mr Scott he was signed to do Aldous Huxley's Brave New World through Leonardo De Caprio's production company and had got serious backing, who knows what this mans up to but he sure seems to be on a SF bender right now, besides isn't The Forever War a trilogy, I don't see Ridley don't trilogies

well he can do the first one.

and then repeating history, james cameron can do forever peace! the opening scene in that's got jc's name all over it!

jin

p.s. oh yeah and forever war became a comic?

Red_Oddity
10-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Yes, there is a comic book version (or atleast, a european comic book, so i guess that would be a graphic novel for the americans), 3 books in total done by Marvano, i can recommend it, really nice old skool european ligne claire comic style.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Forever_War_(comics)

I'm lucky enough to live in Holland, and you can still get it in the comicbook stores here, no problem, only it's in dutch offcourse.

JeffrySG
10-22-2008, 08:55 PM
I haven't read the book but it sounds interesting! The Ender series (Enders Game), especially the 2nd and 3rd books really take time dilation/relativity into account as well and it makes the stories very interesting.

Red_Oddity
10-23-2008, 02:09 PM
I haven't read the book but it sounds interesting! The Ender series (Enders Game), especially the 2nd and 3rd books really take time dilation/relativity into account as well and it makes the stories very interesting.

Yes, but in these books they take the time relativity to a far greater length, the coordination of the battles is a much bigger task in FW since they have no ansible (or Ender for that matter) to be able to coordinate battles (in real time) that take place lightyears away.

frantbk
10-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Was the point of the Forever war book more about how society changes over decades/centuries? The war wasn't really the point of the book, not when I read the book.

Jarno
10-26-2008, 04:34 AM
The book is actually more a commentary on a soldier's lot during the Vietnam war and the alienation faced when returning from it. My guess is that Ridley Scott would tweak it to make more obvious connections with the Iraq war. He seems to have a bit of a thing about Americans and war.

---JvdL---

frantbk
10-26-2008, 07:58 AM
The book is actually more a commentary on a soldier's lot during the Vietnam war and the alienation faced when returning from it. My guess is that Ridley Scott would tweak it to make more obvious connections with the Iraq war. He seems to have a bit of a thing about Americans and war.

---JvdL---

Really? I think that is too simple of an explanation. While I do agree that Vietnam had more than its effect on the book. You are not taking into count the way the war ends. The war doesn't end until Cloned soldier are introduced which leads to dialog with the enemy who are clones. That would say the the writer is a believer in zero individual identity for the good of society.

jin choung
10-26-2008, 01:19 PM
Really? I think that is too simple of an explanation. While I do agree that Vietnam had more than its effect on the book. You are not taking into count the way the war ends. The war doesn't end until Cloned soldier are introduced which leads to dialog with the enemy who are clones. That would say the the writer is a believer in zero individual identity for the good of society.

haldeman is a veteran of the vietnam war so i'm pretty sure everything he does has an infusion of that experience. he's spec fic's oliver stone.

jin

frantbk
10-26-2008, 04:24 PM
haldeman is a veteran of the vietnam war so i'm pretty sure everything he does has an infusion of that experience. he's spec fic's oliver stone. jin

Maybe to you and the others, but he's not spec fic oliver stone - whatever that means - to all.

virtualcomposer
10-26-2008, 06:49 PM
funny, when I saw this thread, I was thinking it was about the war in Iraq. LOL

jin choung
10-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Maybe to you and the others, but he's not spec fic oliver stone - whatever that means - to all.

whatever man... i don't even know what you're trying to say there but... whatever.

jin

frantbk
10-26-2008, 07:59 PM
You said in your post he is spec fic's oliver stone. whatever that means? what does spec fic's oliver stone mean? :question:

jin choung
10-26-2008, 08:01 PM
if you don't know what it means, what the f are you disagreeing with in the first place?!

don't you think it would behoove you to understand something before you disagree with it?

ugh....

jin

frantbk
10-26-2008, 08:37 PM
if you don't know what it means, what the f are you disagreeing with in the first place?!

don't you think it would behoove you to understand something before you disagree with it?

ugh.... jin

Stand there mister pissy. Just because many of you like to type crap instead of speaking English doesn't give you the right to crap-a-snit. Your claiming the writer the be something equal to oliver stone. Just because I don't know what spastic thing spec fic is suppose to stand for doesn't give you the right to act like an ***-clown.

jin choung
10-26-2008, 11:41 PM
dude.

you DISAGREED with something YOU DIDN'T UNDERSTAND!

that doesn't strike you as ludicrous?

i've said it before, i'll say it again:

whatever...

ugh...

jin

frantbk
10-27-2008, 07:48 AM
dude.

you DISAGREED with something YOU DIDN'T UNDERSTAND!

that doesn't strike you as ludicrous?

i've said it before, i'll say it again:

whatever...

ugh...

jin

Dud you're equating the writer to Oliver Stone - I understand your lowering him to the level of a nut-job director. It's ludicrous to think everyone shares your view on Oliver Stone regardless of the meaning spec fic -which by the way you've yet to explain. then again it doesn't really matter what spec fic means because I was referring to Oliver Stone not "spec fic" in my original post. Dud, No DUD! ;D :argue: ;D

jin choung
10-27-2008, 12:42 PM
sigh... really?

google "spec fic" - it's the first thing that pops up.

jin

Nangleator
10-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Jin, frantbk showed up in this thread (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88126), on page 2, like an angry school teacher trying to get the kids back in order. I'm glad to say we didn't behave.

Take his comments for what they're worth.

frantbk
10-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Jin, frantbk showed up in this thread (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88126), on page 2, like an angry school teacher trying to get the kids back in order. I'm glad to say we didn't behave.

Take his comments for what they're worth.

Or maybe there is more than one way to look at the book "forever war" than to read a synopsis of the writers life. He is a Vietnam vet and that is the only reason he wrote the book to purge Vietnam from his soul. Even when I read it, it is to simplistic of an explanation.

Puguglybonehead
10-27-2008, 06:33 PM
The Forever War is also a very bitter and ironic satire of Heinlein's, Starship Troopers. It takes every bit of fantastic technology (power suits, interstellar travel, etc) and holds every concept from that book up to a microscope. Held to account against the laws of physics, space-operas begin to look pretty juvenile. Heinlein wrote a very simplistic, pro-war, gung-ho space-opera (one of my least favorite of Heinlein's books). Joe Haldeman, after his experience in Vietnam, did a retake on this sci-fi "classic". I definitely like Haldeman's version much better than Heinlein's, but I always thought Heinlein was an extremely over-rated author.

The best way to read The Forever War, is to read Starship Troopers first, then Forever War. Then it makes sense.

frantbk
10-27-2008, 07:23 PM
The Forever War is also a very bitter and ironic satire of Heinlein's, Starship Troopers. It takes every bit of fantastic technology (power suits, interstellar travel, etc) and holds every concept from that book up to a microscope. Held to account against the laws of physics, space-operas begin to look pretty juvenile. Heinlein wrote a very simplistic, pro-war, gung-ho space-opera (one of my least favorite of Heinlein's books). Joe Haldeman, after his experience in Vietnam, did a retake on this sci-fi "classic". I definitely like Haldeman's version much better than Heinlein's, but I always thought Heinlein was an extremely over-rated author.

The best way to read The Forever War, is to read Starship Troopers first, then Forever War. Then it makes sense.

Now that I can agree with. You forgot on point, Heinlein book also preaches the paramilitary state (also known as a police state) of control of the masses subservient to the needs of the military.

Netvudu
10-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Actually I enjoyed some of Oliver Stoneīs movies whatever his political ideals might be. Being fanatically anti-militarism sounds to me as stupid as being fanatically pro-militarism, "fanatically" being the key word here.

Now stop ruining anything related to Ridley God...I mean, Ridley Scott with your personal agendas. Letīs talk about how cool this film might be if it ever gets done...who do you think would make the FX for this? Whoīs making FX for the lastest Scott movies? The kingdom of Heaven was MPC, right?