PDA

View Full Version : Exporting .LWS file for use in LW8.5

Litebright
10-21-2008, 04:25 PM
I've noticed in LW9.5, there are only export options for LW 4.0, 5.6, 6.0 and 9.2. They seem to skip right over both version 7 and 8. I am wanting to export a .lws file from 9.5 so I can open it in 8.5. LW8.5 cannot read the 9.2 export, but it CAN read the 6.0 export. I have not thoroughly checked the 6.0 exported file, but am wondering if I am losing info exporting to such an older version? Seems strange they would have an export for 4, 5 and 6, yet nothing for 7 or 8.. Who would be wanting to export to 4 anyway, that version is over 11 years old!

Hopefully the 6.0 export will work without losing anything critical when opening it in 8.5

pixelranger
10-21-2008, 04:32 PM
I don't think the lws format had any significant changes between 6 and 9.2. Thats probably the reason they skipped those export options.

biliousfrog
10-22-2008, 04:22 AM
Unless you're using only 'legacy' elements in the scenes you're going to lose something anyway so there's a pretty good chance that you'll have to check everything and do some tests. The only way that you can guarentee compatability is to create the scene in the older version, although I haven't tested the legacy exports yet so they might do a great job?

My LW history is a bit sketchy, it's been so long. I think that v.6 introduced radiosity and rendering sub-D's but I'm beginning to wonder whether radiosity was introduced in 6.5? I remember the point-5 update being a major thing at the time.

BeeVee
10-22-2008, 08:01 AM
LightWave 6 introduced Monte Carlo radiosity and HDRI. The details are in the LightWave history (http://www.lightwiki.com/LightWave_History).

B

safarifx
10-23-2008, 05:44 AM
options I am wanting to export a .lws file from 9.5 so I can open it in 8.5.

play a little bit mc giver my friend....open the lightwave 9.5 scene with a texteditor and change the LWSC 5 (in the first line) to LWSC 3.
save the file and load the scene in lw 8.5
than save the loaded scene with 8.5.
downgrading ready....

snip safx