PDA

View Full Version : Run video in reverse in speedit

billyr1949
10-21-2008, 09:44 AM
I am editing a clock and the hands move clockwise. I want the hands of the clock to move counter clockwise. I am editing in speedit in the Tricaster Pro.
How do I do this function?

billyr1949
10-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Yes, how do you reverse clips on the timeline in Tricaster Pro/Speededit???

SBowie
10-21-2008, 10:48 AM
SpeedEDIT has a Reverse checkbox in Clip Properties ... I think it's in TC's Edit Media tab too, but can't check just this minute, sorry.

Kurt_Henning
02-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Hey Steve.

If someone had TCP, and cannot run a clip in reverse, but they had SpeedEDIT, could they make a preset to make a clip play in reverse in SE, and then save the preset, copy the preset to the user created ones in TCP, or is that impossible?

Is this ill-advised?

Someone asked me this a long time ago, and I never responded, because I don't know, but I figured that you might...........

SBowie
02-25-2009, 03:36 PM
I wouldn't be surprised at all if it worked, Kurt. Given that this is not something you'd do during a Live production, it's probably safe. I see TC doesn't have the Reverse switch, but another workaround would be to run a DDR backwards and record the output.

Quiet1onTheSet
02-25-2009, 05:25 PM
:bump:

Yes, how do you reverse clips on the timeline in [EDIT Media, on] Tricaster Pro... ???
Anyone got a firm answer on this? I was *just* looking for a "reverse" function in EDIT MEDIA (selected a clip and clicked the CONTROL tab), on TriCaster STUDIO 2.0 the other day, and couldn't find it!

Hmmmmm.... now let's see if its under here...
:stumped:

Kurt_Henning
02-27-2009, 11:50 AM
I only have TCP v2, but I know it is NOT in the feature set.

It's in SE 1.55 or VT5.2b SE, but not in the tricaster.

Do you have access to a VT or Speed Edit Standalone?

If not, I could try the "create a preset" that Steve B and I were discussing above. As long as this does not break and "rules" about sharing a preset, I am willing to give it a shot. I have until 5:30 PM CST in the studio today, and have (2) VT5.2b rigs, 2 copies of Speed Edit 1.55, and a TCPv2.

So, unless a newtekker chimes in and says

a) this won't work or
b) I am breaking part of my agreement for using the software

then I will try to make a preset from SE and see if it will take.

Your "Edit Media" is more advanced that the TCPv2 version, but I think they chose to leave reverse clip out.

If you want to plea your case you can e-mail [email protected]

or if you want to go to the head of the class, you can contact Dr. Andrew Cross at
Across AT Newtek dot COM
or John Perkins
Jperkins AT Newtek dot COM

Steve Bowie is already on this thread, but corresponding with Steve is worth your time. He has many clever solutions for production and post production issues.

These guys make decisions on what features are in and out, and then they have to do the work to add or subtract a feature (programming).

Or, they may have a teknique to do what you are trying to achieve through a clever idea of theirs.

The :newtek: products are different. The whole ball of wax is in the :vticon: VT, but it is also too much for a lot of users, where the :tcicon: Tricaster is a good fit for nearly anyone, from beginner to pro.

I can use a VT or TCP for live events. If it's small, I use the TCP. For big shows, I use a VT.

But, if you have the :tcicon: Studio model, you have already made a sizeable investment in your rig.

SBowie
02-27-2009, 06:30 PM
These guys make decisions on what features are in and out, and then they have to do the work to add or subtract a feature (programming).Actually, I just sharpen pencils and fetch coffee for the guys who make decisions - oh, and I nag for more/bigger/better features constantly (ask anyone). ;)

animlab
02-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Kurt,
If you have SpeedEdit standlone, you can load a clip, set "reverse" in the properties panel, then save the clip as a .VTD file. You should able to load that VTD file in TCPro's Edit Media and see it play back backward.

But if you have SpeedEdit by hand, why you want to edit in EditMedia?

Also, I can not find the user spline preset file of SpeedEDIT's ToolShed. I don't have chance to test whether SpeedEdit ToolShed preset can be used in EditMedia or not.

Quiet1onTheSet
02-28-2009, 01:07 PM
*Anybody* have *any* round-about way to REVERSE a video clip in the EDIT MEDIA panel in TriCaster PRO or TriCaster STUDIO?

'Would love to hear it!

This, my friends, would make for a nifty addition to the TriCaster Update, don't you think?

Strange, that I don't recall having missed this before...

joseburgos
02-28-2009, 03:35 PM
*I DON'T HAVE A TriCaster*
So can you see if in TC SpeedEdit or whatever it is called in TC, control tree, layer settings and see if there is Playback Speed?

If there is, then stretch the clip double it's length (if it's 2 sec.'s then drag the out to be 4 sec.'s). This should give you zebra stripes where you stretched since the clip you have dragged the length longer than the original clip is.
Now make a keyframe at the start of the clip of the 100 value that is default. Move to the end of the original clip length (in my example 2 sec mark) and make another keyframe of 100.
Now press the right arrow key on the key board once or twice until the keyframe white circle goes away (sometimes you are on half of it and not until you get to whole new frame, will the keyframe circle go away).
Now change the value to -100. Move the end of the clips stretched time and make another -100 key frame.
Play the clip and you will see it go in reverse right at the first -100 keyframe mark.
Now move the timeline to the start where the clip starts to go in reverse.
Press the c key to cut the clip and select the left, original portion.
Delete it leaving you with the portion you stretch in zebra stripes.
Now place this new reverse clip anywhere in your project.

Take care and hope TC SpeedEdit has the Playback Speed in the control tree.

Kurt_Henning
03-01-2009, 08:56 AM
I have not delved into Jose's idea.

But Chen's idea works. He typed saved as .vtd. but I did not see that option, but I did see VTP. I think that's what he meant.

This experiment starts in SE 155

I took a single clip (a countdown clock), went to EP and selected reverse, and saved the vtp project. I moved the project over the network to the TCP, loaded it, and now I have a clip playing in reverse in TCP.

I tried to make a preset in SE 155 called reverse, but even after making it in SE and applying it to other clips, the "reverse" checkbox did not come on.

I tried to make a "scale" preset, start from beginning and start from end. No dice for me. :thumbsdow

So, I did not have success with creating a custom preset. I have made many in the past, so I don't really know why this is not working like I had expected.

But there are many ways to do the same thing in SE.

The project method does work.

If someone wants it, I can send the project, but the preset solution does not see to work -- for me. Perhaps this is user error, but I don't think so.

My e-mail address is above in the thread, and any TC only folks are welcome to it, because I don't mind collaborating and trying to come up with solutions for colleagues. I also have TC only clients in this situation.

I tried to take the clip in TCP and make a preset called "reverse." Also no dice. :thumbsdow I cloned the clip and took another from the media bin and inherited. The clip plays in reverse. So, I hope this solution will make everyone happy and reverse clip playback in TC is certainly possible. :thumbsup:

Stevie B's idea to run the clip in reverse and recapture would also work. That was a clever solution.

I am off to a Sunday deal, so I will try Jose's idea to get his question addressed, unless someone beats me to it.

It's March....... :beerchug:

Be well

ted
03-01-2009, 10:29 AM
I keep seeing this and INTENDING to look into it whan I'm at the studio. Furtunately our business is ramping up so much that I keep forgeting to. (But that's a good thing). :hey:

So in short, I have a great idea. How about NewTek give us this option! :thumbsup:
Probably not the top on my priority list, but I wonder if it's easily doable?

Kurt_Henning
03-01-2009, 11:01 AM
The feature is already a part of SpeedEDIT.

Newtek engineering left it out on purpose to delineate between products. If you want that feature that this time, you need to use a different product that they have already created, or one of your choice.

Edit Media is a scaled down SpeedEDIT. There are many things that I miss in Edit Media on the occasion I have to use it (subprojects for me). I also find it odd that I cannot easily make a section of video a specific duration without dragging. This is a main funtion of an editor IMO.

I have brought this up, but the answer seems to be that this is why there is a difference between SE and Edit Media. They are not the same, and were not intended to be.

If I have spoken out of turn, I imagine an engineer will correct my error.

Even though there is no "reverse" button, the effect can be achieved, and that is the point of creating the .vtp.

Of my TC clients, only one relies on Edit Media. Most have their "editor" of choice. Most of these folks are Final Cut editors, and their complaint was the TC format capture. But, I forked out the $20 to get the plugin for the MAC that allows the capture to be read natively. Re-rendering the file from TC ties up the machine for a purpose that is better suited by a codec or a utility also IMO.

If this statement is in error, please realize this is just my opinionation running away with me.

joseburgos
03-01-2009, 12:10 PM
I have brought this up, but the answer seems to be that this is why there is a difference between SE and Edit Media. They are not the same, and were not intended to be.

Even though there is no "reverse" button, the effect can be achieved, and that is the point of creating the .vtp.

But that would still require SpeedEdit not Edit Media as is in TC.
So the question remains, is the Playback Speed available in the Control Tree of Edit Media?
If you have SpeeEdit, why even bother with Edit Media ;)
I believe Billy only has Edit Media with his TC.

SBowie
03-01-2009, 03:06 PM
So the question remains, is the Playback Speed available in the Control Tree of Edit Media?Nope.

animlab
03-01-2009, 08:21 PM
I have not delved into Jose's idea.

But Chen's idea works. He typed saved as .vtd. but I did not see that option, but I did see VTP. I think that's what he meant.

Well, when you drag a clip from timeline into filebin, it will be saved as .VTD file. It is a easy way to save clip's properties (only) into a file. :)

animlab
03-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Here is a dirty way to add Properties Panel to TC's EditMedia and you can have Reverse feature at once. :devil:

Please note that you do this with your own risk.

You need SpeedEdit's skin files.

Here are the steps:

1. Copy EditPanel directory from SpeedEDIT (C:\Program Files\NewTek\SpeedEDIT\Skins\VideoEditor\) into TriCaster (C:\TriCaster\SkinsPro3\VideoEditor\).

2. Use NotePad.exe or any text editor to edit C:\TriCaster\SkinsPro3\BlackBoxDesktop\MediaEdit_T ab\MainWindow\Main\Common Support\Kbd.ToasterScript.

3. Add following line at the bottom of that ToasterScript.
CreateShortCut("F8", code(ToggleEdit()), "OrderedFocus", KbdPriority)

4. Save script file.

That is. Launch your TriCaster, goto EditMedia, drag a clip into timeline, select that clip, PRESS F8 key, and you will have properties panel pop out. Check the Revsrse feature in the panel and you have the clip play backward at once.

Again, you do this with your own risk.

Kurt_Henning
03-02-2009, 06:56 AM
Jose,

I don't see playback speed anywhere in TCP Edit Media.

I am trying to achieve clip reverse for a client who does NOT have SE or a VT. They want to do this on the machine, and not import/export/reimport the clip.

I can do the trick anywhere with a newtek product, except Edit media, and that is by design. I am really surprised that the project method that Chen suggestted actually worked. Why do you think saving a preset won't work? That would be most simple.

animlab
03-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Kurt,

Since there is no playback speed feature in EditMedia in TC, a preset of -100% speed will not work. Also, reverse function in properties panel never show in ToolShed-user preset.

The reverse playback feature is in EditMedia but was hidden by NewTek. Both my medthod can let you get the reverse feature in TC. VTD method (thread #9,17) need to work with SpeedEDIT. The skin patch method (thread #18 above) can let you use reverse playback anytime.

Quiet1onTheSet
03-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Well, apart from my own desire for REVERSE CLIP on the TriCaster STUDIO (older version 1.0 w/update 2) -- another associate/owner needs me to tell him how to effect REVERSE CLIP in his Version 2.0 TriCaster STUDIO.

Why? He doesn't want to go outside his fantastic Black Box, fearing that would force him to further dumb down the image quality of his clean, 4:2:0 MPEG-2 Intra clip, with which he wants to perform some compositing, via chroma keying in post!

I honestly suspect that REVERSE CLIP is a function that's not too far from basic, for a modern NLE. Anybody think otherwise?

Quiet1onTheSet
03-02-2009, 06:42 PM
So in short [re: REVERSE CLIP capability], I have a great idea. How about NewTek give us this option! :thumbsup:
Probably not the top on my priority list, but I wonder if it's easily doable?

Hmmmm. It'd be awfully nice, if it *is* quite easy to enable REVERSE function, before the Update hits the Downloads area. After all, the utter *depth* that EDIT MEDIA in TriCaster STUDIO (versions 1.0 update 2, and also 2.0) does currently offer the user, so as to alter many, many parameters of your audio and video clips (via both the CONTROL panel, and ToolShed), REVERSE CLIP functionality enabled, would be appropriate indeed. JMHO.

jcupp
03-03-2009, 02:52 PM
I like this!

Here is a dirty way to add Properties Panel to TC's EditMedia and you can have Reverse feature at once. :devil:

Please note that you do this with your own risk.

You need SpeedEdit's skin files.

Here are the steps:

1. Copy EditPanel directory from SpeedEDIT (C:\Program Files\NewTek\SpeedEDIT\Skins\VideoEditor\) into TriCaster (C:\TriCaster\SkinsPro3\VideoEditor\).

2. Use NotePad.exe or any text editor to edit C:\TriCaster\SkinsPro3\BlackBoxDesktop\MediaEdit_T ab\MainWindow\Main\Common Support\Kbd.ToasterScript.

3. Add following line at the bottom of that ToasterScript.
CreateShortCut("F8", code(ToggleEdit()), "OrderedFocus", KbdPriority)

4. Save script file.

That is. Launch your TriCaster, goto EditMedia, drag a clip into timeline, select that clip, PRESS F8 key, and you will have properties panel pop out. Check the Revsrse feature in the panel and you have the clip play backward at once.

Again, you do this with your own risk.

animlab
03-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Jeff,

Did you try it on your TC?
I dug that feature out on my TriCaster Studio demo unit. It works great for me, not only reverse, but also playback speed and other properties features. I even find out how to add spline into Edit Media....

I don't know if it works on other models or not but I guess it should work.

Billy, Steve, Kurt, Jose and Q1, did you try it or not?
IMHO, NewTek will not add those features back. TC, VT and SE are shareing program codes or core. NewTek just change or remove some features on some products and they become different. It is marketing issues to leave rooms on different version of products. NewTek will ask customer to purchase SpeedEDIT or choose VT if they need reverse playback feature. As a dealer, I will help TC users to restore reverse playback feature in TC at one condition that they buy a copy of SpeedEDIT.

Kurt_Henning
03-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Wow Chen.

This is huge. What a great thing to find out. I can follow the directions, but are we breaking our license? Steve has joined this thread, but does this violate any part of our software agreement? All of my TC posse would be thrilled with this feature.

I know that Newtek left it out on purpose, and I wish they had decided otherwise. I have time in the studio today, so I plan on giving it a shot. I have the TCP v2.

I also have 2 VT 5.2b installs, and 3 SpeedEDITs at StudioK (the smallest of the Avalon edit suites, in KansASS)

When I am not using the TC, I use EditProp all day long in an edit.

I will give you a response after I follow your instructions.

Thanks for sharing Chen, and thanks to Jef for leading me to the revisitation of the topic.

joseburgos
03-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Jeff,
Billy, Steve, Kurt, Jose and Q1, did you try it or not?

Sorry Chen but I do not own a TriCaster.

Nice work on your part Chen to find this :thumbsup:

Take care,

SBowie
03-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Sorry Chen but I do not own a TriCasterAnd while I'm adventurous enough, I try to keep my Studio system more or less pristine for a variety of reasons. I've no reason to doubt your testing, of course.

(That said, I'm not about to suggest it's generally a good idea to start hacking about in the TC software - not everyone who might attempt this has your skills, and some could run into difficulties that would not be easy to resolve).

Quiet1onTheSet
03-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Sorry Chen but I do not own a TriCaster.

Nice work on your part Chen to find this :thumbsup:

Take care,Mine will be making a visit to the Mothership after the weekend -- before I get to try that cool Clip Properties Panel creation method you suggested, Chen.

So I'll have to let you know my results a bit later down the road...
:)

animlab
03-04-2009, 11:55 PM
If you want to restore back to your original status of TC after playing properties panel, you can just delete the "EditPanel" and the line we added to the Kbd.ToasterScript.
Remember to close "Properties" panel and quit TC before you delete them. Or you will run into trouble when TC launch, it will looking for the EditPanel skins and result a error message.

It is not like hacking a program. The festure is just there. It come with TC that you paid for. Adding skins and scripts should be allowed or all third parties should out of business. Well, we borrow the skins from SE which we paid already. If you feel not comfortable on borrow skins from SE or worried about the legal issues, you can make the skins yourself or hiring someone familiar with skins to create them for you.

However, I have warn that you doing this modification at your own risk. It just like buying third party addons. They might add the features your are looking for and help your productions, or affect your system stabilities if they are buggy. It is your choose to improve system when you can or stay there and hoping NewTek change their marketing decisions.

jcupp
03-05-2009, 08:25 AM
If one prefers not to modify any TC script files you can add the keyboard shortcut to a userscript.

Create a folder called User Scripts in c:\TriCasater\Skins250\BlackboxDesktop\MediaEdit_T ab\Main Window <= ProFX, your path may be slightly different.

Create a text file called EditPanel.ToasterScript that contains these four lines:

// Support ToasterScript
KbdPriority = 100
#include "Functions.ToasterScript"
CreateShortCut ("F8". code(ToggleEdit()), "OrderedFocus", KbdPriority)

Copy the Folder from SpeedEDIT as per Chen above.

I whipped up a new skin that matches the TriCaster a little better and removed a tab that crashes. If anyone is interested email me at [email protected] and I'll send it to you.

SBowie
03-05-2009, 11:15 AM
It is not like hacking a program. The festure is just there. It come with TC that you paid for."Hacking" may not quite be the correct word, though one could argue that skins changes do 'hack the design and functionality' - but I didn't mean the term in a pejorative way and hope you didn't take it as such. You can call it 'augmenting' the design if that feels more comfortable. Nor did I questioning legality or propriety.

That said, I'm not sure NewTek's position on TC is really to encourage 'augmentation', and it certainly isn't my place to do so. Broadly, some interventions might be benign, even benevolent, while some others could prove ill-advised. Some are almost completely un-intrusive, while others are more so. That's why your disclaimer ("modification at your own risk") is one I simply echo.

Paul Lara
03-05-2009, 03:45 PM
How often does one need video to run in reverse?
Is it really worth jeopardizing your NewTek warranty?

UnCommonGrafx
03-05-2009, 04:09 PM
There go two methodologies for explanation: wordy and to the point.

:)

I like them both.

SBowie
03-05-2009, 04:14 PM
I'd prefer to think of one as authoritative, and the other as tactful. :)

(It's not my place to say yay or nay about such things. If I hadn't been directly asked I'd not have said anything at all.)

That said, sometimes I can be wordy, oh yeah ....

UnCommonGrafx
03-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Said colloquially,
"You be dancin' wit'ur words, man, doing the tango to a swing beat"

Dunno why that came to mind. It's not the case.

As one of the wordy ones, I concur. Soon to be lmao at this lil conversation.

Chuckle, thinking of the little gnawing dog at the thought that you could "go for the authoratative message." haha

Gotta get back to my homework. Thanks for the chuckle.

SBowie
03-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the chuckle.I live to amuse my friends. :dance:

jcupp
03-05-2009, 04:47 PM

I use this (reverse video) all the time. One of the things I use my TriCaster for is recording 8mm film transfers. You'd be surprised at how many reels of film I see that are wound the wrong way, it's a heck of lot easier to just play the file backwards and/or flip it upside right rather then sort it out on the reel.

billmi
03-05-2009, 05:01 PM

Is there a clear line of what's OK/not OK in terms of soft modification to the Tricaster?

Specifically with regard to:

Third Party DVEs
Editing DveDatabase.cfg to recognize a newly installed DVE
Third Party LiveSets
Third Party ToasterScripts/Skins loaded via UserSkins directories

Obviously I would expect that modifying the original Tricaster code as Chen suggested would not be recommended. JCupp's recommendation of dropping the launch script in a UserScripts folder would seem in line with previous posts I've seen from at least one NewTek employee recommending running added in scripts from UserScripts folders.

Please note, I'm not trying to place *any* judgement here on what's right or wrong. IMHO it's well within NewTek's rights to say that ANY modification blows the warranty. I'm just asking what the official line is, as I'm concerned about the validity of recommendations I make to folks buying DVEs or LiveSets from me.

billmi
03-05-2009, 05:02 PM
That said, sometimes I can be wordy, oh yeah ....

Little can be worse for a writer than a cap on the number of words they may use.

PIZAZZ
03-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Well poo. There goes my idea for a hot pink TriCaster skin....

SBowie
03-05-2009, 05:14 PM
JCupp's recommendation of dropping the launch script in a UserScripts folder would seem in line with previous posts I've seen from at least one NewTek employee recommending running added in scripts from UserScripts folders.I wonder if that might not have been in connection with VT, which is a bit more of an open system than TC?

I would expect that that adding LiveSets and DVE's is supported, with the usual caveats. Those seem to be well within TC design parameters. Something that involves adding (or removing) base functionality gets into a more gray area (for me personally), from the standpoint of potential effect on performance (I realize that the editor is not used live, I'm speaking generally here). What I might do to my own system and what I would suggest publicly are two very different things.

Jim_C
03-05-2009, 05:41 PM

Reverse is like anti-diarrhea medicine. You don't need it very often but when you do, you need it NOW and nothing else will suffice.

billmi
03-05-2009, 09:13 PM
I wonder if that might not have been in connection with VT, which is a bit more of an open system than TC?

I just hunted for the post I was thinking of, and you may well be right. It was in the Ticaster forum, in answer to a Tricaster question, but the address paths Aussie gave are for VT4. It's not clear if he was talking about Tricaster and gave the other paths out of habit, or thought it was a VT4 question.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42084

Either way, a techie explaining how something can work isn't the same as an a policy of whether it should be done and supported, hence my question.

ted
03-05-2009, 10:47 PM

It seems that it's needed enough that people are finding ways to hack it. :D

Personally for me, no. Every job we do is too important to roll the dice. Unless it's Vegas baby, then it's HARD 8 all the way! :)

animlab
03-06-2009, 06:12 AM

Paul, I take this as NewTek don't encourage to do that.

I am a NewTek dealer/distributor since NewTek begin their Amiga VideoToaster beta. NewTek always said they are listen to the users but there are always many simple features left behind to fullfill user's expect.
I am happy that finally someone in NewTek take a look on this thread. Now, do NewTek consider adding a little check box to the EditMedia to enable the "reverse" feature (a little minor feature in your words: "How often does one need video to run in reverse?") on next release? This will not take hundreds manpower from TriCaster team. Just few line of code and little change in skins. It take just a few minute and users get satisfied.

I hope I can heard NewTek response as "Yes, we are listen. Your request might be added to next build and solve your problems." and make users such as billyr1949, Q1 and many others feel NewTek are answering their questions.

joseburgos
03-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Is there a clear line of what's OK/not OK in terms of soft modification to the Tricaster?

Specifically with regard to:

Third Party DVEs
Editing DveDatabase.cfg to recognize a newly installed DVE
Third Party LiveSets
Third Party ToasterScripts/Skins loaded via UserSkins directories

Obviously I would expect that modifying the original Tricaster code as Chen suggested would not be recommended. JCupp's recommendation of dropping the launch script in a UserScripts folder would seem in line with previous posts I've seen from at least one NewTek employee recommending running added in scripts from UserScripts folders.

Please note, I'm not trying to place *any* judgement here on what's right or wrong. IMHO it's well within NewTek's rights to say that ANY modification blows the warranty. I'm just asking what the official line is, as I'm concerned about the validity of recommendations I make to folks buying DVEs or LiveSets from me.

So now I'm curious as to this as well.
Are we talking only 3rd party plug-ins here free or for sale?
I don't program but that would be scary if I could not sell a plug-in that gave a TC user more functions.
Does that also mean that if I had a TC, a third party plug-in would need to be Newtek approved safe?

Curious,

SBowie
03-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Does that also mean that if I had a TC, a third party plug-in would need to be Newtek approved safe?I'm not speaking for NewTek when I say this, but really - with the exception of the odd formal partnership or 'certification/approval process' - isn't it pretty much always the case that reliability and performance of third-party add-ons for any product is between the third-party and the end-user? In my experience, that would certainly be the most common case.

SBowie
03-06-2009, 09:13 AM
I hope I can heard NewTek response as "Yes, we are listen. Your request might be added to next build and solve your problems." and make users such as billyr1949, Q1 and many others feel NewTek are answering their questions.Not to speak for Paul, but I respectfully suggest this is a bit of an oversimplification. The same argument could, and no doubt would, be made for a countless list of other items (more advanced colour correction, more Toolshed features, more Control Tree parameters, a spline editor, etc., etc., etc.)

I'd certainly say NewTek does listen. They read threads such as this one with interest. They listen to end-users, and dealers such as yourself have private channels for feedback as well - and they are definitely encouraged to use them.

Looking at one item like this in isolation may seem to make things simple, but in reality changes of any sort are ... significant. In the end, decisions are taken and implemented with many, many factors considered.

billmi
03-06-2009, 11:50 AM
In the end, decisions are taken and implemented with many, many factors considered.

Yes, there's a lot more than "will it work" to consider. "Is it right for the product" is key. If we look at Tricaster as a streamlined, simplified, turn-key version of VT, it only makes sense to have less complex features in the editor - even if the underlying support code for them is there. That keeps Tricaster closer too it's target of a system that is fast, simple to use, and simple to train people to use.

It also makes a lot of sense, if the feature is missing for that reason, that it would only have its control on the skin removed, rather than the function removed from the core code. That way the core code can be shared between SE, VT and Tricaster (much fewer support and development headaches) and only the skin must be changed for each product. That hearkens back the the idea we've heard before that Tricaster developments benefit SE and VT, and vise-versa. Common core code components can make that a reality.

Adam_LightPlay
03-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Um, Steve gave a really simple solution back on Page one.
Play the clip(s) in reverse in a DDR, and record live output.
That seems much quicker and easier than fretting over voiding warranties.

bob anderson
03-18-2009, 07:18 PM
I liked Steve B's idea at the start of this thread. Load the clip in the DDR, play it backwards while recording the main out. Simple, and elegant if you ask me.

Bob Anderson

billyr1949
03-31-2009, 10:17 AM
Capture the video you what to run in reverse in the DDR in Live Production.
Play the video in Live Production and click on the reverse button on video clip playback. Go to Capture media and name capture clip in the record/stream. Play clip in reverse and capture it.
Look for the new clip name in the Edit Media and drag it to timeline. The video will run in reverse and you can control the speed by stretching the clip.

Quiet1onTheSet
05-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Yes, there's a lot more than "will it work" to consider. "Is it right for the product" is key. If we look at Tricaster as a streamlined, simplified, turn-key version of VT, it only makes sense to have less complex features in the editor - even if the underlying support code for them is there. That keeps Tricaster closer too it's target of a system that is fast, simple to use, and simple to train people to use...True, but I'd like to humbly request that NewTek made reverse clip simple in TriCaster EDIT Media -- at least in TriCaster PRO and upward in the line.
:bowdown:

Quiet1onTheSet
05-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Um, Steve gave a really simple solution back on Page one.
Play the clip(s) in reverse in a DDR, and record live output.
That seems much quicker and easier than fretting over voiding warranties.Of course that doesn't allow one to keep at least a minimum of "generational artifacting" out of the equation, right?

SBowie
05-04-2009, 10:00 AM
It's a workaround, and as such works reasonably well ... not really a substitute for a direct approach.

imho, in the case of a lot of today's codecs, adding a generation is somewhat exaggerated as a real issue, though .... sometimes significant when converting between different types of compression, but less so otherwise.

Daniel Davis
06-24-2009, 02:15 AM
I have both Tricaster Pro and VT5. Somehow I am missing the "Reverse" check box in the DDR. :help:

SBowie
06-24-2009, 06:42 AM
I have both Tricaster Pro and VT5. Somehow I am missing the "Reverse" check box in the DDR. :help:As you have VT[5], you can use it's full version of SE to reverse (and render) the clip. Use the Reverse switch in Clip Properties.

You could use Aura to do it (that's what was used to make those countdown clips) but it's not all that happy dealing with long files. In the TC DDR, click the second 'LED' between the wheel and the File I/O area.

animlab
06-26-2009, 02:57 AM
I have both Tricaster Pro and VT5. Somehow I am missing the "Reverse" check box in the DDR. :help:

The "Reverse" function is there in DDR if you dare to dig it out. I believe it is a VT3 tricks that you can add a button or keyboard short cut to bring out the EditProperties panel. DDR is a mini version of VTEdit/SpeedEdit

You can do not only "Reverse" but seting in/out point, slow/fast motion, resize... with EditProperties panel.

This is an unsupported feature. Use with your own risk. NewTek will said it is a "reliability" matters. I have test it without too much trouble. Only the ControlTree features in EditProperties seemd not update automatically and need to click at some place to make it happen.
If you want to know how to do it, give me a email and I will teach you.