PDA

View Full Version : Bridge of the new Enterprise, from Apple?

shrox
10-21-2008, 06:26 AM
Maybe it's the Ibridge...

Nangleator
10-21-2008, 08:01 AM
The central features of which I most approve are the knee-highs and the flared skirt. Not a fan of the up-do's.

The captain seems to be kirking a bit.

rezman
10-21-2008, 08:03 AM
The Starship Retcon.

Nangleator
10-21-2008, 08:07 AM
The lens flares have invaded the bridge, Captain.

virtualcomposer
10-21-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm excited about the new movie. It's a hard thing I'm sure to show technology that looks more primitive then the original 1960s shows when we live in a day and age of much newer ideas and technologies. It looks like it is going to be a great movie!!

rezman
10-21-2008, 12:02 PM

Spock, full power to the Photoshop Healing Brush!! Mr. Sulu, activate the low voltage task lighting!

Nangleator
10-21-2008, 12:14 PM
You know, that's a pretty good look for an upscale tanning salon. Uniforms and everything.

Captain, I detect no traces of hair.

My... God, Spock! Is this the thing they call... a Brazillian?

Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a waxer!

Verlon
10-21-2008, 09:58 PM

This is Star Trek. Lens flares are regular crew members, not invaders. The invaders are the lens flares with bumpy foreheads.

jin choung
10-22-2008, 12:14 AM
yeah, saw that on entertainment weekly... everyone was asking them where the "genius bar" was while filming!

ack... what were they thinking?

and what's up with that red floor? if you're gonna go white, go mighty white.

anyway, the thing looks flimsy and like a bar or club or something. shoulda gone more military/submarine motifs with nasa trim. why does everything get cleaner as we go back in time?

jin

Bog
10-22-2008, 05:06 AM
Meh. It's hard to tell from one low-res image. Though if weight's a consideration, which it would be on a spaceship more than most places, making the fittings from lightweight composities and alloys would make all the sense, rather than the heavy-iron of a submarine. Though typing that, I feel like I'm making excuses. And I am. Because I really want this movie to not-suck, and if the iBridge is the worst thing they've done, then I can be a happy man.

For me, I'd keep the bridge slightly dim anyway, the better to see one's displays 'n' stuff, rather than lit up like you're going to be dissecting something on the conn.

hrgiger
10-22-2008, 05:26 AM
Is that Sylar from Heroes playing Spock? They really should just let Star Trek and Star Wars die. They're done. Really.

Bog
10-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Yeah, that's Sylar. Bunch of pics here:

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20233788,00.html

I don't think there's much grey area here. This is either going to rock and successfully reboot the Star Trek franchise, or it's going to suck asteroidal masses through capilliary tubes and kill it off for good.

I really hope it's the former. The world needs more good sci-fi (and to hire lots of us lot to make shiny splodey effects for it).

Nangleator
10-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Wow, after seeing those images this reeks of cool! Karl Urban as McCoy... Sylar as Spock... Oh, yes!

The Kirk dude really seems well chosen, too. I don't like the black uniform, but the kirkness comes right out of those stills.

CMT
10-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Is that Sylar from Heroes playing Spock? They really should just let Star Trek and Star Wars die. They're done. Really.

They'll never die if fans like me have anything to say about it!

Muwahahahahah!......hehe.... ahem.....

Anyway, yeah, the bridge looks way too bright. Almost completely opposite of the first Warp capable Enterprise captained by Scott Bakula (Archer), which I actually liked the design of. It felt very industrial.

Syler as Spock doesn't seem to fit the character. Though, who knows? He may surprise us. But his voice just doesn't seem like it would fit.

Nangleator
10-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Best vulcan ever. (http://www.cjdelaney.com/space/assets/images/tuvok.jpg) But Spock is more interesting. He's all conflicted and stuff.

archijam
10-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Hmmm .. i see this and all i think it Sylar stole Spock's powers .. Spock's mouth can't take that shape.

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/081015/Star-Trek-Movie/spock-quinto_l.jpg

Otherwise, looks grappig.

Nangleator
10-22-2008, 01:16 PM
That would explain the straightness of Spock's bangs.

Wait... What?!

Red_Oddity
10-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Yeah, that's Sylar. Bunch of pics here:

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20233788,00.html

I don't think there's much grey area here. This is either going to rock and successfully reboot the Star Trek franchise, or it's going to suck asteroidal masses through capilliary tubes and kill it off for good.

I really hope it's the former. The world needs more good sci-fi (and to hire lots of us lot to make shiny splodey effects for it).

The world doesn't know good sci-fi when it bites them in the butt.

Let me illustrate;
Star Wars Phantom Menace (complete and utter utter garbage, unless stacking lots of vfx makes a movie good offcourse) :
Budget (including advertising) : $150,000,000
Worldwide Gross : $924,288,297

AvP, probably the defacto guide book on how to wreck and ruin 3 franchises at once
Budget (including advertising) : $105,000,000
Worldwide Gross : $171,181,096

Chronicles of Riddick, seems i'm the only one who thought this one was what blockbuster sci-fi should be, tough as nails wisecracking lead, cool design and nice action sequences (has probably also the best movie tie in game ever till date)
Production budget : $120,000,000
Worldwide Gross : $107,212,751

Serenity, finally something that isn't Star Wars or Star Trek, is loads of fun and gave that feeling again that you got as a kid when watching Star Wars a New Hope for the first time)
production budget : $39,000,000
Worldwide Gross $38,514,517

etc.

I seem to be a sucker that falls for the wrong kind of Sci-Fi and i seem to be the only one that is getting tired of endless rehashing and milking of old sci-fi IPs.

shrox
10-22-2008, 01:43 PM
The world doesn't know good sci-fi when it bites them in the butt.

Let me illustrate;
Star Wars Phantom Menace (complete and utter utter garbage, unless stacking lots of vfx makes a movie good offcourse) :
Budget (including advertising) : $150,000,000
Worldwide Gross : $924,288,297

AvP, probably the defacto guide book on how to wreck and ruin 3 franchises at once
Budget (including advertising) : $105,000,000
Worldwide Gross : $171,181,096

Chronicles of Riddick, seems i'm the only one who thought this one was what blockbuster sci-fi should be, tough as nails wisecracking lead, cool design and nice action sequences (has probably also the best movie tie in game ever till date)
Production budget : $120,000,000
Worldwide Gross : $107,212,751

Serenity, finally something that isn't Star Wars or Star Trek, is loads of fun and gave that feeling again that you got as a kid when watching Star Wars a New Hope for the first time)
production budget : $39,000,000
Worldwide Gross $38,514,517

etc.

I seem to be a sucker that falls for the wrong kind of Sci-Fi and i seem to be the only one that is getting tired of endless rehashing and milking of old sci-fi IPs.

All that Lucas and Spielberg do is redress a classic story, Homer's Odyssey, or a tale from the Bible involving loss and redemption, or just swipe a Shakespeare play and rename everybody.
I myself have something I am working on that is a retelling of a Shakespeare play, yet modernized.

mattclary
10-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Best vulcan ever. (http://www.cjdelaney.com/space/assets/images/tuvok.jpg) But Spock is more interesting. He's all conflicted and stuff.

I beg to differ (http://vh.noirscape.org/news/jolene7.jpg)

jin choung
10-22-2008, 01:57 PM
blalock for the win!

jin

CMT
10-22-2008, 01:58 PM
I beg to differ (http://vh.noirscape.org/news/jolene7.jpg)

She could turn any Vulcan's blood red..... :thumbsup:

Nangleator
10-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Dang, I had forgotten about the silicone-based life form!

Bog
10-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Pass the decon gel, there's a love.

Oh and Red Oddity? I was in the shop with the other half yesterday, perusing DVDs. We picked up some Hill Street Blues, and Season 2 of Jericho.

Her: "Do we need anything else?"
Me: "Firefly, season 2."
Her: "You always say that"
Completely Random Stranger: "That's because he's right."
Cashier: "Too right."
Her: "Well, yeah."
Me: "Hear us, Whedon, make us whole."
Cashier: "Creepy. Yet true."
CRS: "Yup."

mattclary
10-23-2008, 08:58 AM
blalock for the win!

jin

That more than makes up for all the stuff you say that I disagree with. :thumbsup: