PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the movie "Bolt"?

virtualcomposer
10-21-2008, 02:17 AM
Just wondering what you guys thought of the movie "Bolt". If you haven't seen it, you can see several clips from apple.com/trailers I'm not a character creator but I thought the characters looked pretty good movement wise and of course, it's Disney so the faces and body shapes are cartoonish but I did think they did a great job overall. I couldn't help but think "Radiosity". LOL They definitely used radiosity in this movie. That's why it looked semi real. I bet they had 500 computers in their render farm. I especially like the moon shining on Bolt's ears. It looked really realistic and really added to the environment.

Sarford
10-21-2008, 07:56 AM
I've looked at the trailers and thought it looked like all Disney movies of the last decade, boring, predictable and with a 'nice moral lesson' for the youngsters.
I'm realy wondering what Lasseter is doeing there, though he propably doesn't get much room from the financial guys. Thank god we still have Pixar.

DiedonD
10-21-2008, 09:23 AM
I havent seen it, Ill be waiting for its DVD to come out really soon.

But I sure hope that that trailer didnt just blew the whole story wide open!!

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809812763/video/9437218/20080825/151/9437218-300-flash-s.70530354-,9437218-700-flash-s.70530371-,9437218-1000-wmv-s.70530341-,9437218-100-flash-s.70530350-,9437218-700-wmv-s.70530326-,9437218-1000-flash-s.70530374-,9437218-100-wmv-s.70530312-,9437218-300-wmv-s.70530320-,9437219-2700-qtv-s.70530383-,9437219-6800-qtv-s.70530386-,9437219-10300-qtv-s.70530387-

It shouldve teased you, not tell you what its all about rightaway!

Captain Obvious
10-21-2008, 10:30 AM
I'm really looking forward to people growing up from saying Disney = bad / Pixar = good, since it shows a rather simple set of mind. It's not that easy. I'm really wondering how many in this forum would be able to tell a 3D animated feature from one company from one of another without seeing the logo in the beginning... bash me for it, I know it's true. :devil:
I think the differences between Bolt, Chicken Little, et al, and The Incredibles, Wall-E, et al, are fairly obvious and it's a reasonably accurate statement to claim that Pixar's films are generally better than, well, most people's.

Pixar are hardly perfect, but I can't remember the last time I had as good a time in a cinema as I did watching Wall-E. Bolt, on the other hand, looks kind of rubbish (story-wise, mind you; I have no complaints about the technical side of the 3D).

Surrealist.
10-21-2008, 11:03 AM
I love the animation of the pigeon characters. Very well done.

Sarford
10-21-2008, 04:28 PM
...It's so easy to sing the "Hail Pixar" canon, when everybody does, isn't it? :)...

Well, it may look like I'm 'sing the "Hail Pixar" canon', but I realy think that Disney makes movies only for the money. And its not because of the technical aspects that I diss them, its the stories. They are boring, not because they are badly writen but they do their utter most best to try and NOT to step on anyones toes, no matter how short they are.

Pixar does make mistakes too though. I thought 'Finding Nemo' wasn't particulary great, 'Cars' was for little kids only and 'Wall-E' was a major disaster. But the Toy Stories were nice and 'Monsters & Co' and 'The Incredibles' were fantastic and are one of my most beloved movies.

Both companies try to shovel some moral down your throat but while with Disney thats all it revolves around Pixar at least have more going than only delivering the message (except with Wall-E).

virtualcomposer
10-21-2008, 04:37 PM
Did Wall-E not do well in the box office? As much hype as that movie got?

sean hargreaves
10-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Wall-E was a disaster???

We finally got away from talking animals, and I have to say, it was far from a disaster...........in fact it was really enjoyable!

But........thats just me! :D

virtualcomposer
10-21-2008, 11:04 PM
I just didn't know. I thought it had done well but I may have been wrong to.

Mike Borjon
10-21-2008, 11:19 PM
I've got plans to see it with my eleven-year-old. It's due out on Nov. 21. How'd you guys get a sneak peak? Or are the comments directed at the trailer. I saw a two minute chase sequence, it bore a resemblance to "The Incredibles." I think it'll be a good popcorn treat for my kid and I.

Mike Borjon
10-21-2008, 11:25 PM
WALL-E has taken in $469 million plus worldwide. Not bad. Puts it ahead of "Cars" ($462mil.) and just behind "Toy Story 2" ($485 mil.). It sits at number 6 out of the 9 put out so far.

jin choung
10-22-2008, 12:01 AM
yah, wall-e did fine.

as for bolt - i really really really really dislike scientologists and so that extends to john travolta.

miley cyrus is completely irrelevant to me as well.

BUT

that freakin' hamster is HILARIOUS!!!

"it's sure to be filled with hardship and peril.

PROMISE?!

there'll be danger at every turn.

I EAT DANGER FOR BREAKFAST!

are you hungry?

STARVING!"

and

"LET IT BEGIN!!! LET!! IT!! BEGIN!!!"

i laughed sooooo hard at the preview.

i'll definitely catch it sooner or later.

jin

p.s. LOOOoooooooved WALL-E! "wall-e!!! eva!!! directive. eva!!!"

DiedonD
10-22-2008, 01:00 AM
Yeah I liked WALL-E aswell.

When WALL-E and EVA the two robots where closing in for a kiss with no lips on them!

I thought what kinda solution have they found on that problem! I was positevly surprised LOL :D

Captain Obvious
10-22-2008, 05:48 AM
Well, it may look like I'm 'sing the "Hail Pixar" canon', but I realy think that Disney makes movies only for the money.
And you think Pixar don't? Besides, making money is as noble a purpose as anything else; what matters is the quality of the product. Pixar make money by making a premium product: really good and with universal appeal, but costs a lot of money to produce. Disney make money by churning out cheap (by comparison) products.

Sarford
10-22-2008, 08:19 AM
And you think Pixar don't? Besides, making money is as noble a purpose as anything else; what matters is the quality of the product. Pixar make money by making a premium product: really good and with universal appeal, but costs a lot of money to produce. Disney make money by churning out cheap (by comparison) products.

Ofcourse I know that! They are not Philantropists, just look at all the shiploads of merchandise which comes with each movie. What I meant is what you just said.

adamredwoods
10-22-2008, 05:29 PM
In "The Incredibles", people died. You didn't notice it, but they did. And if the characters made mistakes, the resulting consequences were more severe.

Good movies usually have a main character who makes a mistake (or a choice, plot point one), and is changed by the consequences. The ending reflects how they have changed. The more change, the better.

Compare "The Godfather" to "Little Mermaid". Michael could have walked away from his fathers business. And compare his character at the beginning versus the end. Now, with Ariel, she lost her voice to get laid. She had a happy, healthy life, no matter what mistakes she made.

The good Disney movies do reflect this. It's usually the songs that kill me.

adamredwoods
10-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Better yet, compare "Shrek". He starts off being cold, hard, but in the end is a bit of a softy.

Or Wall-E. Through the movie, he doesn't really change. His surroundings change, but more or less, Wall-E was just around for the ride. EVA was the real one who changed in the movie, and made it interesting (cold, logical -> to warm, loving).

jin choung
10-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Better yet, compare "Shrek". He starts off being cold, hard, but in the end is a bit of a softy.

Or Wall-E. Through the movie, he doesn't really change. His surroundings change, but more or less, Wall-E was just around for the ride. EVA was the real one who changed in the movie, and made it interesting (cold, logical -> to warm, loving).

right and that's a valid way of constructing a story.

eddie murphy doesn't really change in beverly hills cop, the other dudes do.

indiana jones and james bond don't really change but they bring about change in their world.

jin