PDA

View Full Version : Surfacing with video?

quinn
08-04-2003, 06:47 PM
I want to wrap a 3D head with video I made in AE of random binary code. I tried using Surface editor but it will only let me pick a gradient, procedural, or an image. How do you use video to surface an object? The video itself is a quicktime animation with a premultiplied alpha channel, if that makes any difference. I've only been doing LW for 2 months now so you'll have to forgive me if this is a dumb question. Thanks in advance.

prospector
08-04-2003, 10:33 PM
Should be loaded as a sequence for video textures.
use Image Edit and change dropdown menu to sequence, point to first frame in sequence.

adboy
08-05-2003, 02:38 AM
steve is that u man?
give me a shout on icq

Gooch
08-07-2003, 04:12 PM
The first thing I would do is turn the Quicktime file into a Targa Sequence.

Then, create a UV map for the head. If you're new to LW, this'll be tricky to do right:

If your model is facing along the Z axis, create a morph map of the model with the nose pointing down positive X.

Select the head polys and generate a Y-axis cylindrical UV map. You should wind up with a rough UV of the head with the nose polys in the center. Manipulate the points in the UV view so no nose/eye/ear polys overlap.

Then, in the texture editor, apply the first image of your targa sequence to you UV'd head surface. In the Image Editor, make sure you set the image to be a sequence.

~GOOCH

Step257
08-10-2003, 02:31 AM
Image Editor can directly load Quicktime movies, you don't need to convert in Targa.

Gooch
08-10-2003, 10:17 AM
That's good to know. Seems like you'd run into problems with compression on the QT files though. But then again that might give you an interesting look.