PDA

View Full Version : How to reflect lights with Ray+Backdrop reflection only?

zippitt
10-20-2008, 02:09 PM
When we look at reflections the light sources are reflected back.

However, the lights in Lightwave are non-reflective. Sure they indicate light on an object with specularity and gloss but the reflection of the light is not registered.

What is the easiest way to get the lights to reflect without using spherical maps or Image world maps with lights in them?

I thought of creating luminous objects in the shape of lights, but the luminosity is going to kick up the light intensity when using GI. I want to avoid tweaking my existing lights as much as possible.

Am I missing a simple option? I am getting to the point where I think I am going to have to model the lights in order to get the desired effect. I want my light reflections to properly map to the specularity/gloss on the object, I can't see any easier way ATM.

Thanks

Tobian
10-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Well the only really accurate way to get proper reflections of lights is to model them, otherwise if you're happy with the fake effect, a specular hit can look nice as long as you do it right. Cook torrence is a lot more realistic.

One way to avoid a model showing up in radiosity is simply to select it, go to it's rendering properties, and select 'unseen by radiosity' - so it won't contribute light to the scene, only show up in reflections etc.

Depending on your scene, another way is to simply put the light inside / next to a reflector object, which it illuminates, and that in turn shows up in your reflections.

zippitt
10-21-2008, 12:11 AM
Ahh thanks Tobian...I keep forgetting that the option exists for unseen radiosity on the object. I think I will just make simple reflection objects while using that setting.