PDA

View Full Version : My #1 request: a real upgrade

cathuria
02-24-2003, 09:20 AM
I notice Newtek is hiring a bunch of programmers... that could be a very good thing. I also know that this can be a hard time for graphics software companies all around, what with the economic situation. Apparently, a number of such companies have responded to this crunch by pushing out puny upgrades in order to generate a little cash flow.

In the past few months, I've wasted money upgrading a handfull of 2D & 3D app's. Most of them have barely been incremental upgrades -- although they added a full 1.0 to the version number, the feature list would indicate a +0.2 at best. And the one that was a truly revolutionary upgrade also has a revolutionary number of bugs, making the thing darn near useless. Sadder still, their new version was so revolutionary that it dropped some features, leading to some web tutorials on the order of: "how to use the Old Version to do neat stuff the New Version can't."

So, my most earnest request for the new version of LW... is a new version of LW. Just sit on it & let it stew until you've got an LW8 that we'll be happy to spend the time & money on.
Thanks.

hrgiger
02-24-2003, 09:43 AM
Well 6 was a major rewrite of the program and 7 was a great upgrade in my opinion so I can't imagine being disappointed in LW8. Not to mention there are usually a few free upgrades in between, sometimes having new features worthy of a whole new edition.

Jimzip
02-24-2003, 11:33 PM
Newtek aren't stupid.
They aren't out there like Microsoft, trying to squeeze money out of everyone and not delivering..
Trust them, LW 8 will be worth waiting for.
Jimzip:D

cathuria
02-25-2003, 09:38 AM
Oh, don't mistake me -- I'm not doubting Newtek; their record on past upgrades has been outstanding. But these are different times for NT than when they put out 6 & 7, and I've seen too many good and reliable companies turn into "Whatever became of..." stories.

The hiring of new programmers is, I think, exciting news. But perhaps it's a sign of how important LW is to me that I'm nervous about its future. I don't want to be a voice of worry, rather maybe just a mildly annoying reminder that continued quality requires continued vigilance. So long as they keep that idea more important than questions like whether or not Modeler & Layout should be integrated :rolleyes: , things should turn out great.

Sign me hopeful, not doubtful.