PDA

View Full Version : Not 3D, just some pix to share - China

pixeltek
10-19-2008, 07:16 PM
Hi
I know, this is way off-topic, but I thought some of you might be interested nonetheless. Just got back from China and Japan. The former a truly eye-opening experience. I mostly hang around in small and affordable hotels (I always have one exception, so it seems, each trip, and tell people what they are like, here http://cosmic-pearl.com/euro01a.htm - nothing for Japan. There I stay with the US military, cheaper for me.
And for the pictures:
China: http://cosmic-pearl.com/euro01d35.htm
Japan: http://cosmic-pearl.com/euro01d28.htm
As an (on topic) aside: Just before I left I had installed LW 9.5 (64bit) which then started to cause me all sorts of grief, until I uninstalled the previous version (duh!), and it's been stable since then.
Karl

toby
10-20-2008, 01:53 AM
Great stuff!
And thanks for the hotel page =) I'd kill to see Venice

walfridson
10-20-2008, 02:22 AM
Can you speak the language or how did that go?
Love the Japan pics, gotta go!! :(

kennez
10-20-2008, 03:23 AM
I came back from 3 months in China not long ago as well. Beijing is a really great place. The people are all friendly, and the food is absolutely stunning. Of all the places to visit, the Summer Palace was the best (for me).

Of course, I didn't have to worry too much about the language (my girlfriend, who I met at university here in England) is Chinese, but I am learning (slowly!). In fact, I liked it over there so much that I found myself a job teaching English. I'm just waiting for the visa paperwork to come, since the Olympics delayed everything, then I'll be heading off.

A small thing that I noticed about Beijing is that I didn't notice any of the smog that people were complaining about before and during the Olympics. I really do think that people were blowing that out of all proportion (it might have something to do with me living right next to 3 of the biggest heavy industry plants in the UK though!)

pixeltek
10-20-2008, 07:57 AM
As for the language. Chinese: not a word, and that makes it kind of tough traveling, but on the other hand, there are certain 'conduits' where some English is spoken and one can tap into to go on. I am talking about airports, airport busses and subways, forget taxis, they want everything from us in writing - Chinese writing. But most of the hotel lobby personnel can help, even if you find youself near the wrong hotel. English knowledge in China is remarkably rare - Shanghai apparently being the notable exception. English comes at you sometimes in unexpected places, when someone on a subway or bus edges toward you to speak to you and practice or to show off their skill. Can't wait to go back next year. I want to visit Hohhot (Inner Mongolia) and Urumqi and Ili, the far ends of China.

I speak a little Japanese. Not much, but knowledge of English, while still far from commonplace, is much more prevalent there.

I thought for the gamers and animee afficionados, Tokyo's Akihabara district is the bomb. I love the place. It's a circus almost every day. Don't do Tokyo without stopping by there. Get an all-day metro pass for $7 and travel all over, including Aki.

virtualcomposer
10-20-2008, 09:47 AM
I've always wanted to visit Japan. I'm more into the ancient culture though. I'm not a big city guy. Are there still beautiful country sides and ancient architecture in Japan?

JeffrySG
10-20-2008, 02:15 PM
I was in Japan last summer and had a blast. These pics bring back many memories! Thanks! I was in many of the same places all over Tokyo, Akihabara, Kamakura, etc. A few of my Buddah pics are almost the same ones in Kamakura.

The China pics are really amazing also! :)

It was raining when I was in Akihabara and it kind of reminded me of Blade Runner when I was there!

@virtualcomposer: Yes there are still tons of rural Japan areas still around - even pretty close to Tokyo. If I remember correctly Kamakura was only about an hour or so away from Tokyo by train.

pixeltek
10-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Depends what you mean by ancient. I went to Egypt, Greece, Petra, Angkor Wat, Volubilis, Lebanon and other places that are really ancient. Or do you mean just very old?
I enjoy the works. I seek out the ancient when available, but totally enjoy places such as the Nikko Toshogu Shrine (in the forest), for example, or the great Kamakura (small town) Buddha in Japan as well.
And yes, there is plenty of lovely countryside in Japan.

virtualcomposer
10-20-2008, 06:47 PM
WOW WOW WOW!! I love asian culture as you can tell by some of my post of my studio. These are awesome and thanks for sharing them.

pixeltek
10-20-2008, 07:33 PM
JeffrySG: Glad you made it to Aki. Rain or shine, the place is amazing and now that you mention it, it does have a Bladerunner feel to it. All we need is some floating ads.
Hehe...yes, the Kamakura Buddha holds pretty still for the pics. As big as it is, I think almost everyone who goes there returns with about the same pics. :D

pixeltek
10-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Oh, one more thing. When I arrived, the Beijing smog was every bit as horrible as the pre-Olympics pictures showed. All I could think was: 'Breath shallow, and pray for rain'. By the end of that day it started to rain and it continued to pour all night, and the next morning the air was quite clear, until the afternoon, when the smog built up once again. When I got back to Beijing for the second time, the 7-day national holiday was on and a lot of stuff was shut down for the occasion and the smog was greatly reduced.

inquisitive
10-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Thank you for sharing Karl.... tell us the secret that allows you to travel so much :)