PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on how to get digital confusion to work with classic camera?

Dirk
10-19-2008, 03:47 AM
I wanted a nice DOF for my animation and was left with teh perspective camera... then I dropped it because of rendertimes....

Seriously, I tried "Digital Confusion" and that other image filter, "Depth of Field Blur", and that was a not-so-nice experience.

"Depth of Field Blur" doesn't seem to work at all, probably because I had a gradient sky in the backdrop. Maybe I've missed something, but that plugin seems to be totally broken.

"Digital Confusion" is a different beast. F-stop is set to 0.1, so I guess it's supposed to produce a nice DOF, and on a single image, it does look sweet.

Sure, it only works with classic camera, and doesn't like Hypervoxel or Pixiedust...

In animation, "Digital Confusion" produces half-transparent objects, and strange bending effects. For the half-transparent objects, that seems to happen if blur is too big or F-Stop too small. However, there is a floor in the scene that should be blurred, and no matter what settings I've tried, Digital Confusion produces errors. I feel I've tried everything in the book, but finally gave up.

Any advice?

Dirk
10-19-2008, 04:11 AM
Here's a picture.

K-Dawg
10-19-2008, 03:38 PM
sorry if I can't help, but I watched some of your stuff at youtube. I really like that funny dance. :) You have a lot of nice stuff.

toby
10-19-2008, 04:16 PM
I found Digital Confusion to be pretty useless, especially for animation. Lots of bad artifacts.

Are you sure the Dof plugin isn't working? That gradient background won't look any different with any kind of blur, even photoshop. This plugin can however give you artifacts too. There tends to be a shift in the pixels of the image where anything crosses the circle of confusion.

The only other viable option I know of is the XDof plugin, 400 bucks I think.

How long is a frame taking with the perspective camera/built in dof?

Dirk
10-20-2008, 05:43 AM
sorry if I can't help, but I watched some of your stuff at youtube. I really like that funny dance. :) You have a lot of nice stuff.

Hey, Thanks :D

I found Digital Confusion to be pretty useless, especially for animation. Lots of bad artifacts.

Are you sure the Dof plugin isn't working? That gradient background won't look any different with any kind of blur, even photoshop. This plugin can however give you artifacts too. There tends to be a shift in the pixels of the image where anything crosses the circle of confusion.

The only other viable option I know of is the XDof plugin, 400 bucks I think.

How long is a frame taking with the perspective camera/built in dof?

The DOF Pluing produces strange artifacts around the character and those flying, glowing blobs (they are geometry, because I wanted to use digital confusion first). It's as if there is a blurred copy of the character behind the character, allthough it should be perfectly in focus.

Perspective cam would need about 4 minutes per frame for somewhat decent quality, but I wasn't in the mood to wait that long...

flameup
10-20-2008, 06:07 AM
If I were you I would leave things as they are, because any transferring will have losts s and thjat will not improve the quality

toby
10-20-2008, 08:57 PM
omg 4 minutes?? That'll finish overnight easily. I thought you were gonna say 30 minutes or something. 4 is nothing if it's the final version.

Litebright
10-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Toby - Your avatar is one of the funniest I've seen on this forum.

I'm having a Perspective Camera problem when rendering a model that has subtractive boolean cut holes in it. I get artifact shadows around some of the cut areas that don't show up in the Classic Cam. I am trying to use the Perspective Cam to REDUCE render times, as I am wanting to use motion blur as well.

Currently one of my frames has the following rendering time with each camera:

Classic Cam = 13m 17sec (Classic AA Medium, AAA .06, Classic Motion Blur, DOF)

Perspective Cam = 8m 42sec (AA 1 Pass, AAA .06, Photo Real Motion Blur 2 Pass, DOF)

I've got about 900 frames to render...so it is a difference of taking about 5.5 days to render versus 8.5 days for me.

Don't know if I have an offering that would please Kitty, but perhaps you know something about my Persective Cam boolean artifact problem?

toby
10-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Ahaha, bow to Kitty! Your servitude will suffice...

Anyway...
You should be able to clean up your geometry to get rid of those artifacts, booleans make sloppy geo and the perspective camera is not as forgiving as the classic cam.

Triple any non-planar polygons in the offending area, merge points and unify polys. If that doesn't do it, post an image so we can get a better idea of what's happening -

Litebright
10-20-2008, 09:52 PM
You've influenced me to finally add an avatar to my profile...perhaps it even pleases Kitty! haha

I will post an image crop that shows what I am talking about soon! Thanks for responding.

Hail Kitty! lol

toby
10-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Nice one! :D
The best lw-ers have catavatars

Litebright
10-20-2008, 11:27 PM
Toby - Here is a link to the initial thread I started about the problem. I have posted images on it to show what I am talking about.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90520

I did think Kitty would like my new avatar :bowdown:

dmack
10-21-2008, 03:42 AM
4mins per frame is good, trust me! That said, this is another example of why interpolated dof would be good, so we can use the perspective camera AND have good strong DOF at the same time!

Have you thought about getting X-Dof from Evasion. It's pretty darn good except that it doesn't work 100% with the perspective camera (man I WISH they'd fix that!!!). That's a classic example of why plugins are NEVER as good as right in there. X-Dof brilliant but I'm not sure it's being developed any further for LW....and so when new stuff like the perspective camera gets introduced, wham....it stops working properly. Such a shame.

Newtek, you need to create an X-Dof type Depth of Field solution in-house that works solidly! Not like digital confusion (that I wrote off when it very first came out!). If Evasion can do it, you guys should be able to do it even better as you have all the inside knowedge!!!