PDA

View Full Version : Archviz-biz Dead after Financial Crisis? what s your status?

tyrot
10-19-2008, 03:14 AM
dear archwavers

we encountered severe problems. We had lots of clients in Russia-Eastern Europe Markets.....we are losing them one by one...They either go out from business or severly stopping their investments.

I m just wondering...what is your status? What should we do? Archviz (although it was a bit boring) was a solid 3D business...not anymore though...

thanks for the responses.

BEST

-EsHrA-
10-19-2008, 04:14 AM
i got laid off after 2 years at a big architect house mostly becoz of less n less clients.
few weeks ago i heard 20 more were fired so within about 2 years from ~70 to about 30 workers.

luckily im now working on a motion picture but im still looking for work!

mlon

Dirk
10-19-2008, 05:00 AM
Is it only archviz? Where else does the financial crisis hit?

JBT27
10-19-2008, 05:27 AM
I'm guessing everywhere in our industry - motion pictures maybe not, but TV will get hit - there are already massive redundancies in the UK and plans on hold.

On a positive note, I'd like to believe that it's the lean mean small companies and individuals who will ride this one out, the generalists with their own kit.....but that maybe wishful thinking.

The truth is that what we do, in some quarters like arch-vis to a point, are regarded as luxuries. We know architects who have never used it and don't see the need for it - traditional industry surviving on traditional tools and methods is what they say. OK, that's a big debate for sure, but if they ain't buying ..... :thumbsdow

I've had a very long career as an illustrator, seen some crap times, but this ..... this is just plain scarier than a scary thing.

Julian.

vpii
10-19-2008, 07:07 AM
I've had a very long career as an illustrator, seen some crap times, but this ..... this is just plain scarier than a scary thing.

Julian.

Agreed, I have been doing this a very long time and by far this is the worst I have ever seen. I thought just the USA was hurting right now in the building market? Maybe the only building going on in the world is in Dubai.

Tzan
10-19-2008, 10:58 AM
I do construction drawings for high end houses and we have 2 small commercial jobs. I'm totally busy till the end of the year and we may pick up a new house job. The high end housing stuff is fine. We normally do 20 new jobs a year, this year we have just 14 so far, its down but ok.

The printer we use had 2 people there, the owner and a worker, they had to fire the worker last week. They mostly do printing for architects and engineers. So normal commercial work is down.

3 years ago I was on my own doing low/mid end house additions. I'm sure that if I was doing that now, I'd be delivering pizza.

JohnMarchant
10-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Hey Tzan people will always need pizza you know ;););)

Tzan
10-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Oh I know!

I actually did deliver pizza back in 1987 when I couldn't find drafting work.
So now I have experience! :)

shrox
10-19-2008, 01:24 PM
My two types of work have been artist or pizza delivery.

juanjgon
10-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Here is Spain things are going really bad for archviz ... i have lost about 75% of my projects this year, and i have a lot of unpaid debts. Spain has a terrible real estate bubble and i think that things are going to be worse in next months :(

archijam
10-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Here is Spain things are going really bad for archviz ... i have lost about 75% of my projects this year, and i have a lot of unpaid debts. Spain has a terrible real estate bubble and i think that things are going to be worse in next months :(

Sorry to hear that juan, hope things look up soon.

(Have not been doing archviz projects recently so can't comment on market, but switz has not crashed so badly as most places ..)

Lightwolf
10-19-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not doing any arch-viz, so I can't really comment, but I assume it will hit us indirectly in software sales.

@Megalodon I'm sorry to hear about the employees. And as bad as it sounds, I'd advise you to lay them off now but offer them some perspective if things catch up again.
We (I) made the same mistake in 2000/2001 when the dotcom bubble burst, and boy did it hurt to have paid wages when there were no jobs coming in. Lesson learnt.
I absolutely sympathize though, that kind of decision sucks either way.

Hang in there, all of you, we'll ride this one out as well.

Cheers,
Mike

Titus
10-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Agreed, I have been doing this a very long time and by far this is the worst I have ever seen. I thought just the USA was hurting right now in the building market? Maybe the only building going on in the world is in Dubai.

We're doing well here, I guess constructions will begin to stop next year.

*Pete*
10-19-2008, 09:04 PM
on a more positive note...archviz (following construction) will be the first to recover too, now as the crisis starts hitting nations around the world, typically goverments order schools, hospitals, roads and other infrastructure stuff to be built to keep people employed.

do what you need to do now, let people go if needed but prepare for the coming jobs as well, i would expect things to be much brighter in a 6 months time from now, even if the crisis would worsen...constructions ordered by govt are unaffected by the financial crisis.

hang tight, it wont last long for archvizzers and if you are lucky this will drive some of the competition into other jobs..like pizza delivery or something ;)