PDA

View Full Version : Extender plus not working

Exodus1161
10-18-2008, 08:19 PM
note: i only got lightwave today, im a noob

Im following a tutorial to make a car and it says i need to use the extender tool, i've selected the points of the box i want to "'extend" (I tryed selecting many different points) i hit "e" but the icon doesnt change, i hit the "extender plus" button on the left hand pannel but it doesn't "light up" as if it has been selected.
:help:

IMI
10-18-2008, 08:49 PM
You're not going to see any immediate result when you activate it, unless you're using it on sub-patched polygons, and it has no interface. Try activating it then pressing t for translate or y for rotate, h for stretch, H for scale, and then moving, scaling, whatever. Then you should see something happen.

Hopper
10-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Ahhh... I remember my first Extender Plus encounter ....

When you selected your points or polys and selected Extender Plus or "e" on the keyboard, nothing notable happened on your screen, however it did indeed work. The trick is to understand that Extender Plus creates a duplicate set of geometry exactly where the selected points or polys were.

Do this and I'll illustrate...

Create a box. In the back view, select the top points. Press "e". Doesn't seem like anything happened, but without deselecting, now press "t" (move), then move the points up... voila! You know have two sets of points... the originals and the ones you have extended.

got it? :)

Just remember that the "act" of extending doesn't "do" anything in particular as far as cursors go or messages on the screen... it simply extends and leaves you with the tool you were already using.

The manual also explains this pretty well.

Hopper
10-18-2008, 08:53 PM
You're not going to see any immediate result when you activate it, unless you're using it on sub-patched polygons, and it has no interface. Try activating it then pressing t for translate or y for rotate, h for stretch, H for scale, and then moving, scaling, whatever. Then you should see something happen.
Ahhh ya bastard .. ya beat me again!

IMI
10-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Ahhh ya bastard .. ya beat me again!

Heh, well how about this then... I made a quick GIF of the process. ;)

Not the best quality as I had to scale it way down for file size, but it shows it happening...
Alternating between pressing e on the keyboard, and pressing the button under the Multiply tab.

What can I say... I'm bored. ;)

Exodus1161
10-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Ahhh... I remember my first Extender Plus encounter ....

When you selected your points or polys and selected Extender Plus or "e" on the keyboard, nothing notable happened on your screen, however it did indeed work. The trick is to understand that Extender Plus creates a duplicate set of geometry exactly where the selected points or polys were.

Do this and I'll illustrate...

Create a box. In the back view, select the top points. Press "e". Doesn't seem like anything happened, but without deselecting, now press "t" (move), then move the points up... voila! You know have two sets of points... the originals and the ones you have extended.

got it? :)

Just remember that the "act" of extending doesn't "do" anything in particular as far as cursors go or messages on the screen... it simply extends and leaves you with the tool you were already using.

The manual also explains this pretty well.

yep that got it working, thanks for the help guys

IMI
10-18-2008, 11:54 PM
yep that got it working, thanks for the help guys

No problem, and welcome to LW and to the LW community.

Extender Plus is, by far, one of the MOST useful tools Modeler has. The legendary Taron made a VIDEO - Secrets of Organic Modeling (http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/tba01.html) showing the creation of a human head using little more than Box, Extender Plus, Symmetry, subpatch, move, stretch, rotate, drag, merge, and Spin Quads. That may sound like alot of tools, but compared to the myriad of highly complex ways to accomplish the same thing, it's nothing.
For a new 'waver, even if you're not interested in creating humans or heads, that video alone is worth more than its weight in gold.
It's pretty funny, too - the guy's like a little kid in a candy shop, and you can tell he really loves what he's doing.

No, I don't work for Gnomon. ;) I just have a great deal of appreciation for that video, and Taron's expertise - I learned more useful and practical techniques in a few hours of watching that than probably a week of watching all other modeling vids I've ever seen.