PDA

View Full Version : Bone placement

Lottmedia
10-18-2008, 12:17 PM
OK, so here it is, I know there are a lot of tuts out there for how to make your IK work or various aspects of rigging, but there doesn't seem to be anything out there about the actual bone placement. Does anyone have any pointers/suggestions/tutorials on placing bones and why you would put them where you do and such? I'm finally bringing a character from modeling all the way to animation and I can set up the IK fine, but I keep hitting problems because of where the bones are. Does that make sense?

C :cat:

Surrealist.
10-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah it makes a lot of sense, especially in the shoulder area where you can get really strange deformations around the arm pits. But I think you'd have to be more specific about areas you are having problems with. And the mesh of each character is going to present slightly different problems. I kind of got a feel for it from doing rigging tutorials but also wound up with the same type of question so it will be interesting what feedback there is on this.

prospector
10-18-2008, 03:31 PM
I usually put mine on the INSIDE of a bend
Fingers, Elbow, Knees, Feet, Toes if used, and the Neck.
The closer you put them to the fold in skin, the less overlap of skin you have.

Lottmedia
10-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Yeah it makes a lot of sense, especially in the shoulder area where you can get really strange deformations around the arm pits.

That's exactly where my problems are :) I know weight maps can help, but so far they haven't :( I'll give the inside a shot, Pros, until now I've been trying to approximate a human skeleton hoping that would give me the correct structure, but especially in the shoulders I get some wierd stuff. Screenshots to come.

ALSO, in liew of starting another thread, is there a record Pivot Rot script that will so all bones, since you can't multi select with that one?

C: Cat:

SplineGod
10-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Never use record pivot rotation on all bones. Generally you use it if theres a chance a bone will have gimbal lock. And you only need to worry about potential gimbal lock on bones acting as universal joints.

Bone placement is important but so is having your model setup properly. If the edges arent flowing the right way no amount of bone placement, weight maps, etc will help. Polys can only fold along edges so make sure that theyre where they need to be.

Heres some links to some videos I have up on VFXcast that might be useful.
Also the courseware I have on rigging covers this topic pretty thoroughly.
http://www.vfxcast.com/profile_playlists/SplineGod/