PDA

View Full Version : Introduction to Bones and Joints for Matt Gorner :)

WilliamVaughan
10-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Introduction to Bones and Joints:

Right-Click Here to save (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/LW_9/Layout_IntroBones.mov)

This video is dedicated to Matt Gorner...soon to be Master Rigger!

This gives a basic walk through of the Setup tab to help get users new to bones and joints an idea of creating and editing bones. After this video I'd suggest going through some of the other bone related videos. More to come!

Wickster
10-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Ha Ha! Matt got served!

Thanks William for this very very nice video for those of us who are afraid of that dreaded setup tab. :)

zapper1998
10-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Ha Ha! Matt got served!

Thanks William for this very very nice video for those of us who are afraid of that dreaded setup tab. :)

Matt got served that's a funny one :) :)

Wickster
10-17-2008, 07:32 PM
it's a funny video specially when William starts to represent Matt's statements.

***Recreation @ 3:00 min***
Matt: "Man! Look at all these tools, I'm never going to be able to rig!"
William: "Well Matt, yes you will."

Me: PWNED!

lol.

lreyes
10-17-2008, 11:16 PM
please some one give me the steps to do a smoke particle, I am confused with Hypervoxels, as I can not find it to make smoke or anything. I need the steps for a simple smoke

Silkrooster
10-18-2008, 12:54 AM
please some one give me the steps to do a smoke particle, I am confused with Hypervoxels, as I can not find it to make smoke or anything. I need the steps for a simple smoke

What on earth does hypervoxels have to do with rigging a character? Please create a new thread. You will get much more help that way.
Silk

mikadit
10-18-2008, 04:32 AM
Awesome video!
Unespected but beautiful image shot at the end of the video, the future master rigger! :D :thumbsup:

Matt
10-18-2008, 04:55 AM
ROTFL!

I sooooo deserved that video! Thanks William, that was easily the best explanation on the parts I was struggling with!

Not sure about the "soon to be master rigger", but I'll give it a go! :D

The front title made me laugh, the "Dedicated to" part sounded like I'd died and it was a tribute video!

:D

Gotta say the "Bone Twist" tool working on the next one in the chain is very confusing, why it can't twist the one you've selected I'll never know.

Also, looks like the "Bone Split" tool needs some work when used on Joints, it should split them equally between the other two joints like it does with bones.

Hmmmm, wondering if you can convert them to bones, split, and then convert back to joints to get them nice and equal?

One of my dream projects is to model rig and animate a CG Dirk the Daring, but CA modelling and animation I am soooooo new to! Who knows, this could be start of a whole new career!

Thanks again for the time you've put into this, I feel like doing a 'Wayne's World' "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!"

dballesg
10-18-2008, 06:27 AM
Hi,

William, excellent video, very well explained. BTW had a look to your PM.

Your method of converting Bones to Joints, has a problem, and it is you lost the tail of the last ZBone and there is no joint created there.

There is an easy way to convert Skelegons to Joints, and it is use the free LScript by adamredwoods

LW 9.5 - skelegon bone to joints converter (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88466)

@Matt,

There are two LScripts on LW 9.5 on the directory \Plugins\lscripts\utility\tool
that allows you to Split and Merge bones and joints interactively.

Initially they are not added to the menus, at least not the Production ones that are the ones I use.

This LScripts are really Layout Tools. Like the Move, Rotate, Scale tool, etc...

The Split Bone tool, works dragging the red square that will appear on the selected bone to the position where you want to split, and double clicking on it. It will left selected the new bone with another square so you can continuing spliting that one if you want.

The Merge Bone Tool is similar, but requires that you select the bones to merge BEFORE you activate the tool, then drag the red square where you want the merge to occur and double click it would merge the bones.

David

bazsa73
10-18-2008, 06:57 AM
Hi,
Sometimes I just watch and listen to these videos for fun's sake, because William can explain things in a way that everybody understands. And there are always some points even for advanced users.
Big Thanks for William!

K-Dawg
10-18-2008, 07:39 AM
Hi,
Sometimes I just watch and listen to these videos for fun's sake, because William can explain things in a way that everybody understands. And there are always some points even for advanced users.
Big Thanks for William!

Thats why I really love and enjoy the videos from William, cause they are so fun to watch, always exciting, never boring and explained in a way everyone can understand and jump in and do something roght after watching it.

He also has a way to get you all motivated and just want to do something, even if you have no idea, you feel like you have to do something with the newly earned knowledge. :)

@William
This is one of the best videos you ever made. I'm sure it was pretty time consuming, but this was really great and in depth. You hit spot on what I look for on other videos with a way to explain that hardly any other does. I really appreciate and not only cause it's Free, also for the spirit you put in.

Big big thx :) :thumbsup: :bowdown:
Your the :king: and :rock:

WilliamVaughan
10-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Hi,

William, excellent video, very well explained. BTW had a look to your PM.

Your method of converting Bones to Joints, has a problem, and it is you lost the tail of the last ZBone and there is no joint created there.

There is an easy way to convert Skelegons to Joints, and it is use the free LScript by adamredwoods

LW 9.5 - skelegon bone to joints converter (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88466)

@Matt,

There are two LScripts on LW 9.5 on the directory \Plugins\lscripts\utility\tool

Initially they are not added to the menus, at least not the Production ones that are the ones I use.

This LScripts are really Layout Tools. Like the Move, Rotate, Scale tool, etc...

The Split Bone tool, works dragging the red square that will appear on the selected bone to the position where you want to split, and double clicking on it. It will left selected the new bone with another square so you can continuing spliting that one if you want.

The Merge Bone Tool is similar, but requires that you select the bones to merge BEFORE you activate the tool, then drag the red square where you want the merge to occur and double click it would merge the bones.

David

Very useful tools that I forgot about...will make a video as soon as there is time...big thanx for teh heads up!

WilliamVaughan
10-18-2008, 11:12 AM
ROTFL!

Gotta say the "Bone Twist" tool working on the next one in the chain is very confusing, why it can't twist the one you've selected I'll never know.

Agreed but since we are running Parent Coordinates is would mean that you would be changing teh Parents settings and may not know it..this way you at least know it cuz you are twisting the parent

and knowing is half the battle :)

WilliamVaughan
10-18-2008, 11:13 AM
ROTFL!

One of my dream projects is to model rig and animate a CG Dirk the Daring, but CA modelling and animation I am soooooo new to! Who knows, this could be start of a whole new career!

Coem to Florida again and I will make sure you leave with a model and rig of Dirk that you create

Matt
10-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Coem to Florida again and I will make sure you leave with a model and rig of Dirk that you create

Well there's a tempting offer! :)

Kuzey
10-19-2008, 12:43 AM
Excellent video and I love the touch of comedy :thumbsup:

I hope there will be a second part, how to control the bones once you have a rig...using goals etc. to make animation easier/quicker.

Kuzey

COBRASoft
10-19-2008, 12:43 AM
Awesome William!

1 thing though. I can imagine animating ropes, hands, ... with this. But what about a metallic chain? Each piece of the chain should be a bone (or joint) right? How is it possible to prevent each piece from 'bending' at the edges and still animate the whole chain, necklace, ...?

geothefaust
10-19-2008, 02:23 AM
A couple of ways.

You could use weight maps for each piece and assign the bones accordingly to each weight of the pieces.

Or, you could create each piece in a different layer and then parent each one to a bone.

Or, you could just go the no-bone route, and use dynamics.

geothefaust
10-19-2008, 02:44 AM
Question came to mind for William...

Do you have any plans to show how you would rig a spine, with rotation limits, etc, etc...? I've seen IK on legs and arms a lot, but not a single video on spines, or other body parts. Anyway, just came to mind. Thanks. :)

PS- This video was chock full of great information, thanks!

Dirk
10-19-2008, 04:55 AM
This feels like a wonderful start of a whole bunch of vids about rigging :D

JBT27
10-19-2008, 05:21 AM
Yes, I hope so too :)

That was a really great video, amongst all those other great ones, and it just proves how quickly you can move on when you have an outstanding teacher helping you out - thanks, William :thumbsup:

I know you're busy.....but keep 'em coming please :D

Julian.

Dirk
10-19-2008, 05:36 AM
It would be nice if weight maps and bone strength would be covered, since if ppl start to rig a biped with hands & fingers, they'll need to know about that. Or is there a vid out there already? May have lost track :D

K-Dawg
10-19-2008, 05:55 AM
@ William
I had a question about a tool you use in the video that is clear what it does and definitely a good tool, but it has issues and I don't know how to get around it. It always happens.

To avoid gimbal lock at the rig setup, you said to use "Record Bone rest Position" (or was it "Record Pivot Rotation"), but When I do that, save and reload (or LW crashes) when I reload the scene, my model is total whack and messed up.

Why does this happen and how to prevent gimbal lock with this, without getting the whack mesh?

Greetz

Dirk
10-19-2008, 06:46 AM
@ William
I had a question about a tool you use in the video that is clear what it does and definitely a good tool, but it has issues and I don't know how to get around it. It always happens.

To avoid gimbal lock at the rig setup, you said to use "Record Bone rest Position" (or was it "Record Pivot Rotation"), but When I do that, save and reload (or LW crashes) when I reload the scene, my model is total whack and messed up.

Why does this happen and how to prevent gimbal lock with this, without getting the whack mesh?

Greetz

You need to record pivot rotation and rest the bones. What I do is, I go through the whole bone structur with the down cursor key, use "shift-p" and "r", next bone with cursor key, shift-p, r.. etc.

K-Dawg
10-19-2008, 07:11 AM
so what you mean is, first Shift+P and then r? or in other words, when ever you shift+P, then you have to r?

If yeah, then I might have to re-rig, but then I can at least pose better. :)

oh btw, where in Hessia do you live?

Castius
10-19-2008, 10:58 AM
A) It shouldn't crash. If it does send the scene to Newtek, as a bug.

B) I don't recommend Record Pivot Rotation (RPR) on every joint. It may not be problem any more in LW9.5. But i'd still avoid it. For two reason you should try to avoid gimble lock thought better hierarchy management. Two you don't need the extra headache of worrying about tools not respecting RPR.

C) It's aways a good idea to rest your bones after you make any changes to there transforms. So it's best to select all the bones and hit "r". To rest them all.

Hopper
10-19-2008, 11:52 AM
In the video, William, you mentioned that you sometimes use just Bones and in some cases just joints. Is there an advantage to using one or the other if either will do for a particular animation or is it simply preference and workflow?

Should we start to use joints when possible now? Will bones eventually be replaced by joints ? (man, that sounds weird).

Castius
10-19-2008, 01:41 PM
I would use Joint most of the time from now on.

I would use zBones if i was using weight map only options. Unless i wanted to use the twist option.

Along those lines. If I was exporting to a game engine. The game engine is unlikely to take advantage of the advanced features of joint. Or bones for that matter, but joints have more options.

I might use a bone if i just needed one bone to hold deformation. Because with joints you would need two joints to have a rest length. But i might not want to deal with having mixed bones and joints either. So I'd say stick with one or the other.

But you do have the option to do what ever fits your needs.

K-Dawg
10-19-2008, 03:36 PM
A) It shouldn't crash. If it does send the scene to Newtek, as a bug.

B) I don't recommend Record Pivot Rotation (RPR) on every joint. It may not be problem any more in LW9.5. But i'd still avoid it. For two reason you should try to avoid gimble lock thought better hierarchy management. Two you don't need the extra headache of worrying about tools not respecting RPR.

C) It's aways a good idea to rest your bones after you make any changes to there transforms. So it's best to select all the bones and hit "r". To rest them all.

A) Well sometimes Programs just crash. I'm not saying Lightwave is crazy for to crash, but it does happen. I'm still running 9.5 and FiberFX is still unstable. Support said to run the beta, but I guess I'll let the guys and gals who know how to help run the beta and wait for the final update.

B) I'm still learning and have yet allot to learn. I drew some bones for the arms in the top view and the went gimbal. Maybe my mistake but I'm still at it. I'll try to see that I get that better in teh future. Still thx for teh hint. :thumbsup:

C) Yeah thats what I did and now the Mesh doesn't go whack anymore, but It took a while so my hint to all, never pose on frame 0. Even you go for stills don't do it. One bone deformation problem and you have a problem :) For now on, I'll keep my neutral at 0 and even for stills, pose at Frame 1 or higher :)

Greetz

WilliamVaughan
10-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Hi,

David

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90503

dballesg
10-20-2008, 04:02 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90503

Hi William,

Good job explaining those! :)

David

Sekhar
10-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks very much William for all your terrific videos - you make things so very easy to understand/apply.

Castius
10-20-2008, 05:12 PM
If you accidentally posed your model on frame 0. It can be fixed. As long as you haven't re-rested your bones. 8)

Just go to the move and rotate tool under the modify tab and hit reset.

If your using IK then you have more work to do. You can use my reset goal script. http://www.steelronin.com/plugins.htm#ResetRest

K-Dawg
10-20-2008, 05:47 PM
@Castius
thx for the tip. I'll try it out later on and see if I can get the scene fixed. I managed to get around by copying the rig and rebuilding it in a new scene, but this way should be a lot faster I think :)

Greetz