PDA

View Full Version : Bones effecting wrong things

kdkatz
10-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Well I'm still very new at 3D animation. I just finished boning my model but when I manipulate a bone it effects other things. For example if I try to rotate a toe of one foot the toes of the other foot follow the movement and become stretched out. How can I control what the bones control?

BlueApple
10-17-2008, 02:52 PM
There are a few strategies for this. One is to select the offending bone, hit P for properties and then adjust its range. Check Limited Range and mess with the Min and Max values.

You can also paint weight maps in Modeler, and then have bones only affect specific weight maps. This can be labor intensive.

Another option people employ is "hold bones." Add extra bones in places you want to have more influence, and just hide them if they don't need to be animated directly.

SplineGod
10-17-2008, 10:30 PM
I wouldnt use limited range. Its mainly a hold over from the days before weight maps. I also wouldnt use any weight maps at first. They depend upon bone influence to do their thing. Select all your bones and hit the r key to rest them. This lets each vertex know how much each bone will effect them AND activates the bones.

Surrealist.
10-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Well I'm still very new at 3D animation. I just finished boning my model but when I manipulate a bone it effects other things. For example if I try to rotate a toe of one foot the toes of the other foot follow the movement and become stretched out. How can I control what the bones control?

The main properties you want to look at when using bones without weights are:

1) The "Fall off type". This will effect all the bones. Play with the various settings and you'll see the influence change and become more localized. (I think that is is the higher the number the more local)

2) On a per bone basis you can adjust the rest length. This will affect the influence. (You can do this with the bones active and this is not sizing the bone which is something else entirely)

3) Check and uncheck "Multiply by rest length". (this will of course magnify the effect of 2) above.

You can do all of these things with the bones active to check the influence.

Then of course you can also apply hold bones to refine it. But the above settings should dial in most of the rig and give you a similar effect of using weights. You might find that for close up shots of the fingers you'll use a different setting of inverse fall off than for a long shot of the rest of the rig. So keep in mind what kind of shot it will be and what kind of pose you will be using. You may have a different rig setting for different poses and for long shots and close ups. It is unlikely that one rig will work perfect for every situation.