PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Elements or Photoshop CS3(4)?

Drakonsden
10-16-2008, 05:58 PM
I am relatively new to 3D modeling and animation and am having a hard time justifying the cost of Photoshop (CS3). I have the newest version of Photoshop Elements and it seems really complete.

Is it really worth the huge amount of money for a full version of Photoshop?

What is the difference as it pertains to 3D modeling and animation? What is missing in the Elements version that a modeler/animator would not be able to do without?

Thanks in advance for all you help

RedBull
10-16-2008, 07:38 PM
I am relatively new to 3D modeling and animation and am having a hard time justifying the cost of Photoshop (CS3). I have the newest version of Photoshop Elements and it seems really complete.

Is it really worth the huge amount of money for a full version of Photoshop?

It's unlikely that at your current level of involvement a full Photoshop CS would be worth the investment. (PSCS is overpriced IMO) It is an invaluable tool, but these days I could use 3DC or a compositing package not to mention LW's nodes to do many things PS was once king at.

I would at least start with other 2D paint packages like Gimp and perhaps Inkscape for vector work. Both are starting to get some decent functionality for free, Gimp 2.6+ recently introduced brush mechanics/dynamics which is an important step which will get better in upcoming releases.

What is the difference as it pertains to 3D modeling and animation? What is missing in the Elements version that a modeler/animator would not be able to do without?

Generally in 3D if you are an all-rounder you will usually get to know Photoshop for the following reasons: Texture and Surfacing, Post Work, Editing, Matte Paintings.

At the moment Elements seems to offer basic photo editing but won't allow for the above uses in practical terms. So it's likely one day you may wish to go to CS perhaps but i say learn Lightwave and 3D and when the need arises go explore the options such as Gimp, Photoshop, Painter etc. Gimp will allow you to paint your own textures such as displacement or bump & color so at least it's a start and you can get by with it.

cresshead
10-17-2008, 04:57 AM
i have photoshop elements at home and photoshop cs3 at work [plus photoshop 7 at work]
for my job [digital artist/designer for a web company] and at home for freelance cg work and venus rises tv work photoshop elements 'will do fine'...often at work i boot up photoshop 7 instead of cs3 as it runs faster and has a u.i. that i'm more used to from photoshop 5 days.

as above i find phtotshop cs3 or cs4 to be overpriced...it should be 199 not nearly 876
[and that's on offer the rrp is over 1000]

i would sooner add>>
paintshop pro x2
painter x
xara xtreeme
g.i.m.p

ghaledev
10-18-2008, 12:53 AM
If The Gimp does what you need, you will enjoy the freedom it gives you.

Photoshop Elements works well for most things.

PS CS4 64 bit starts up fast, which I like because I don't leave it running all day.