PDA

View Full Version : Air-conditioned Lightwave...

virtualcomposer
10-16-2008, 03:51 PM
I have a widget on my mac that shows how fast my fans are going in the computer and also shows how hot my processors and RAM get. Does anyone know what is to hot for RAM or a processor? When I render a scene, my processor heat goes up to 112 degrees sometimes and my RAM gets up to around 190 degrees. I have the heat syncs on them but is this getting to hot? Is there a device that I can put on my computer to cool it down considerably? I know a colder computer runs better. I'd rather not blast my air conditioner all day just to keep my computer cool. What is your advice?

zapper1998
10-16-2008, 04:03 PM
That is "HOT", I would start looking for a better cooling method for your Proc and Ram...

virtualcomposer
10-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Is there a cooling device for a Mac? My air conditioning works fine and keeps everything cooler but I thought there might be a device that can it can "chill" with. LOL It's usually during the hotter days when it's humid in the house or I didn't use the air conditioner.

3DGFXStudios
10-16-2008, 04:39 PM
I hope that is deg Fahrenheit. Otherwise you're roasting your chips......

if its deg fahrenblabla there's no problem......... although 190 is pretty high

Hopper
10-16-2008, 04:49 PM
I hope that is deg Fahrenheit. Otherwise you're roasting your chips......

if its deg fahrenblabla there's no problem......... although 190 is pretty high
:agree:

44c is slighty over idle speed for say a OC'd Q6600 running at 3.2 or so.
However, 87c for your RAM is WAY too hot.

There are RAM coolers you can buy, but they have to fit your RAM and they usually won't fit RAM that already have there own Mag heat sinks.

If you can optimize the cooling system and airflow in your case, it will do a world of good. Airflow is everything when it comes to fan cooling. If I blast all 7 fans in my case at 100% it gets hotter than if I run 4 fans at optimum speed (around 60%). The object is to create pressure inside the case that is slightly more positive than outside of it. This will keep the air flowing out of your case properly. In order to tweak your fans, you first need to make sure they are positioned correctly and you are creating the appropriate air flow path. Most case manuals these days should have a diagram illustrating just that.

Just keep in mind that more fans doesn't necessarily mean more cooling.

One trick I used to do is to put your case on a desk with everything running, light a candle and blow it out. Put the smoldering candle up to one of your intake fans and see where the smoke goes. If you don't see a majority of the smoke coming out of the outbound fans, you don't have the correct pessure and/or flow inside your case.

rakker16mm
10-16-2008, 04:56 PM
I've asked my friend who is an Apple engineer about temperature issues and he assures me that all of the Macs have excellent thermal protection. Still if the temperature does get up there.... where ever there is for your particular computer you will experience a drop in performance. So keeping the room cool on a hot day may help. However I would be careful about taking any EXTREME measures to super cool your Mac as it may cause condensation which would be a bad thing.

I have a small energy efficient air conditioning unit but I only run it on hot days or when the room gets uncomfortable muggy. My feeling is that if I am not getting heat frustration my tower is probably doing alright.

Hopper
10-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Sorry, I should have caught the "mac" part. I don't know if you can do anything with the internal cooling system of a mac as far as manipulating fans and such. I assumed a regular pc style case that you could easily modify.

JeffrySG
10-16-2008, 08:18 PM
I use smcFanControl (http://homepage.mac.com/holtmann/eidac/software/page5/page5.html) all the time to cool off the chips on my MacPro. You can create different settings to control the fan speeds. It's Great!! I have a setting for 3d work and for rendering and for normal work too.

I have to thank GMD Three for recommending it to me here! :D

virtualcomposer
10-16-2008, 08:23 PM
I just tried it and it doesn't seem to support Leopard.

JeffrySG
10-16-2008, 10:15 PM
I'm currently using it on leopard. Maybe check to see if there is a newer version somewhere. I'm running the latest OS withit with no problems.

virtualcomposer
10-16-2008, 10:31 PM
me to but when I clicked on the application, it didn't come up. I didnt' see any sliders or anything.

yaschan
10-17-2008, 03:19 AM
I'm running Macbook Pro. I noticed the outer case gets very hot when rendering. The CPU temperature got somewhere around 81C and stayed there.
So I bought Elecom's cheap laptop cooler, which is basically a device of two fans blowing into the air vents. With this, the temperature is usually when rendering around 71C and the MBPro's fans never have to increase their standard speed..
I just worry about dust particles blowing into the macbook pro...

JeffrySG
10-17-2008, 06:23 AM
me to but when I clicked on the application, it didn't come up. I didnt' see any sliders or anything.

^See if there is a new menu on the upper right of your screen listing the temperature. If there is, click on it. That is the entire app there. The menu has all the settings and the preferences area lets you set up your different fan speeds, etc.

JeffrySG
10-17-2008, 06:24 AM
I think this is the newest version btw:

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/qs.php?mode=basic&action=search&str=smcfancontrol&srchArea=macosx&submit=Go

http://homepage.mac.com/holtmann/eidac/