PDA

View Full Version : Glass Bottle Renders

Nirrad
10-16-2008, 01:30 AM
I've been trying to get a realistic look and feel of, Modeling, lighting and texturing a champagne bottle in lightwave, I have gotten some results, but they all look kinda plastic or waxy. I was wondering, if maybe you could assist me in some direction or tips in achieving my goal, I have browsed the web and got some tutorials, but they do not assist me in this matter... Im not an advanced user, and I only started using this program about three months ago.

Please Assist!
Thank you...

StOuen
10-16-2008, 02:11 AM
Hi,

To help me assist you, could you post a image of what you are working on?

Cheers,

Nirrad
10-16-2008, 02:38 AM
Thanks for the speedy reply StOuen

I have set up a link to a image I just rendered.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64684&stc=1&d=1224145905

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64684&stc=1&d=1224145905

I hope this helps you in aiding me...

Thanks!

virtualcomposer
10-16-2008, 02:47 AM
Hey it's not New Years yet!

Otterman
10-16-2008, 02:56 AM
i would say your reflections are a little too diffused-kinda looks frosted. Be nice to see the refraction and fresnel cranked up also. Think you might wanna search this forum...there is loads and loads on glass!

Anyways if your using lw9.2+ you wanna checkout the Diemetric node.

sample render here-

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87800

Ive attached a clear glass node for you to study....ul find more at...

www.presetcentral.com

enjoy

Nirrad
10-16-2008, 03:04 AM
Thanks Otterman, I'm sure that I can get this right now.

I am using lw9.2, and im gonna check out the diemetric node now.

I will reply soon to tell you how it goes...

Thanks again...

Nirrad
10-16-2008, 03:07 AM
Thanks for the reminder Vcomposer.

I like the quote too, its something to ponder on...

I'll be sure to send you a bottle, come new years...

Tobian
10-16-2008, 04:22 AM
Ok couple of things..

Try the dialectic material, as it's simple and easy to use. Not sure if that was in 9.2 or 9.3 - also get 9.5, as it's faster for rendering this type of thing :D

Note that in 9.3.1 you get a new feature called 'volume stacking'. Previously if you rendered glass you needed to create a invisible 'air' polygon on the back face of all glass/liquid, otherwise refraction and reflection did not work correctly. In 9.3.1 and up you no longer need too!

If you don't have 9.3.1+ then you need to either create a node switch based material, or create an actual second set of geometry, invert it and set to it to 100% transparent and a IOR of 1.0001

Don't forget about refraction, that's what makes glass look right, and make sure you have an inner skin' to your bottle, glass bottles are thick and lumpy on the inside. Make your glass around the 1.5 mark for your IOR, and note that if you don't have the afore mentioned air polygons or newer releases of LW, then it will render really weird! :D

StOuen
10-16-2008, 06:31 AM
A lot of the main issues have been well covered here but I just want to add that you may want to stick it on a tabletop with wood grain or table cloth or something so we can see that refraction working. Also, you may want to use a better reflection / hdr image in your backdrop to give it some zing, unless the backdrop you are using is part of the brief of course.

POTO2220
10-23-2008, 08:31 AM
make sure your bottle is realistic glass too...meaning every glass, bottle, window or whatever has two sides. there is an inside bottle surface and an outside bottle surface. refraction is key, and how they work together is even more crucial. make sure that bottle has thickness to it...with said inside glass and outside. if its just one set of polygons, that are double sided, it wont work the same and looks too thin and not glass-like. I have done several glass pieces that look photorealistic....also try adding some glass reflection mapping to go the final yard.