PDA

View Full Version : 3D magazine deals

pixeltek
08-04-2003, 12:14 PM
FYI

1. Digit issue 63, now available at Barnes & Noble, has the full version Worldbuilder 2.3 attached. Upgrade to Worldbuilder 3.5 is $299.

2. 3D World issue 41 (the Hulk issue), now at Borders and B&N, includes a 1year license to Kaydara Motionbuilder 4. The unlimited upgrade to the all new Motionbuilder 5 is, for the time being $200.

For those who don't know, both are fully LW compatible.

meshmaster
08-05-2003, 08:39 AM
Find back issues!
http://forum.caligari.com/discus/messages/74/11136.html?1059108915

rabid pitbull
08-05-2003, 09:38 AM
Actually pretty old issues now... Takes awhile to get them over the pond i guess. I actually have that issue of digit, and i installed world builder for kicks. Not to impressed with it, and it is less than compatible with LW. The files it exports are not textured, and massive. Better off doing it all in LW.

As for the Motionbuilder 4 to 5 upgrade. I think that the Software had to be registered before July 31st to be eligable. That magazine is at least two months old I believe. Not sure if You can even get the PE active at this point, I would check with Kaydara's sales team to be sure.

pixeltek
08-05-2003, 12:39 PM
You stand corrected, my lightwaving friend. Yes, the magazines are usually one month behind their country of origin. In addition to being available at Borders and B&N, they can also be purchased one issue at a time from the publishers' websites directly.
Future Publishing for 3D World here:
http://www.3dworldmag.com/
Digit here: http://www.digitmag.co.uk/

I do agree with your Worldbuilder verdict, and don't think that it is not that good a deal. As for the quality, I leave that up to those who want to inexpensively make up their own mind.

On the other hand, I think, Kaydara's Motionbuilder is an excellent deal and still valid for the [/QUOTE]remainder of 2003.

[QUOTE] p. 52, 3D World, issue 41:
...And between 1 Aug and 31 Dec 2003, all Motionbuilder PE users who got their free one-year licence through this month's 3D World cover CD will be able to upgrade to a permanent Motionbuilder 5.0 Standard Edition licence for just $200: a savings of $705 over the regular price of the software. After Jan 2004, the fee to upgrade to a permanent licence will be $450.

To claim the offer
Kaydara will automatically contact registered users with the details of the upgrade process. If you need more information, email [email protected]

cresshead
08-05-2003, 02:13 PM
also not the current issuse has particle illusion special edition for free [full app] as used on jimmy neutron and star shiptroopers roughnecks for smoke and explodsions...pretty good for 6!

steve g

pixeltek
08-05-2003, 03:05 PM
Yes, thanks for pointing that out. That Digit mag'll be here in the US next month, and because of the postage, they cost us around $15 a copy. Still, not too shabby for the ocasional cool freebie. I buy them only once in a great while, when there's a particular sw to try out or own. Because of the transportation cost, subscriptions to those mags are pretty pricey for us.

Actually, if it hadn't been for Fortune publishing's presence at Siggraph, I would not even have discovered the Kaydara offer. Been too busy to check up on 3D World of late. They offered us any of three or four of their computer mags for a showprice of $5 a piece. That was a real steal, and from the looks of it, they were not going home with any. By the middle of the last expo day that stand looked nearly cleared out.

rabid pitbull
08-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Sorry I must have misunderstood.:p Motionbuilder is awesome though and I highly recommend it!! The preview speed is amazing, and opengl is silky smooth even on my GF2 ti. It is a great compliment to LW, and I am gonna get version 5 without a doubt.

Digit magazine is also a great rag, really considering the 120 pound annual subscription. The stupid bookstores around me don't carry it.:rolleyes: I had to order the back issue from them directly to get the MB trial.

pixeltek
08-05-2003, 11:23 PM
Speaking of the somewhat unimpressive Worldbuilder freebie. The offered upgrade to WB 3.5 for $299 might be fair, but the upgrade to WB 3.5 Pro for $699 may be too steep for what you're getting. Anyone who wants to spring those kinds of bucks may be far better off with the new Worldconstruction Set 6, that while it does cost $300 more (not the upgrade), I think it is far more powerful. See for yourself: http://3dnature.com/

I, on the other hand, am learning to use Vue 4, which when upgraded to the 4.1 version smoothly imports LW 7+ objects. With a price of $200, for me at least, that's the way to go: http://www.e-onsoftware.com/

pixeltek
08-05-2003, 11:56 PM
...and while I'm on the topic, not to forget eon software's well-reviewed Ozone and Ozone 2, atmospheric and fog and haze generator for LW http://www.e-onsoftware.com/Products/Ozone2.0/index.php

Meanwhile, for those of us who also use Bryce 5 as a landscape generator into which to import our LW models, word is that Corel is losing money big-time on Bryce. Apparently expensive to upgrade and produce, as well as expensively purchased from Metacreations, with the added competition of the excellent Vue D'esprit, which at $199 is sucking up a huge amount of marketshare, Corel is feeling the pinch and has already announced that the promised Bryce 6 for the Mac is cancelled. The rest seems questionable.

BeeVee
08-06-2003, 03:24 AM
I know I'm going to get lambasted for this with US folk saying I'm just plugging 3D World because I used to be the editor, but seriously guys...

Would you like to receive issues of 3D World in the week of release in the UK? Would you like to pay less than 10 bucks (IIRC) for each issue? Would you like them to come to your door rather than screaming around all the Barnes & Nobles/Borders in your area because the one you usually go to has sold out? It sounds like an ad for a subscription, but I wish people wouldn't keep bitching on about how expensive something is when they have a solution under their noses.

I'll make it really easy for you:

1. here's the direct link for a subscription:

https://secure.widearea.co.uk/cisubs/FPL/TDW/TDWFNT

2. If you want to check the price, because it's in a strange foreign currency the English call "Pounds", here's another link:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

3. You're going to have to help me out here a little, because you need to find your credit/debit card yourself - try your wallet?

4. Enter the details into the first site cited.

5. Wait until your next 3D World comes through the post...

Hope this helps! :)

B

meshmaster
08-06-2003, 08:38 AM
I look foward to running arounb Barnes and Noble here every middle of the week someday once a week after work! I usually look at, read, or pick up Digit, 3d World, PC Pro, PC Plus, Computer Arts, or on days that those aren't in - I look to the sales racks for CHEAP computer books. I've picked up several $50.00-$80.00 valued books for anywhere from $1.00 - $6.00, especially when they are overstocked... and most of them are less than 2 years old - the key is to look at the copyright date on the page after the title page, to make sure that you aren't buying a book on ancient technology that is now defunct.

BeeVee
08-06-2003, 08:43 AM
Hi Meshmaster,

I know what you mean, it is nice to browse. What irritates me is when people complain about the tardiness of a magazine coming out, or its cost. Both can be easily rectified...

B

pixeltek
08-06-2003, 09:19 AM
BeeVee, never be irritated about people complaining about the cost of magazines. You don't know their reasons, and you have to admit, the magazines are way cheaper in the land of their origin than once they cross the pond. Some Siggraphs ago, maybe New Orleans, Future Publishing introduced their then new 3D World. I had subscribed, because they had a lot of Fleming's (a TS and LW user) tutorials. A year passed, and LW was suddenly virtually nonexistent and Fleming's tutorials were out. The latest editor once more happens to like LW and Fleming is back. You see, things change, and for all I know, you might have been the editor who substituted Maxon's Cinema 4D for LW. Be that as it may, because I retired and my financial situation changed dramatically, suddenly the $125 or so for the subscription became a little steep and I decided to just buy the few issues that particularly interested me enough to spend the dollars. I even had to think hard before turning down the generous $80 or $90 subscription offer for 3D World at this Siggraph. Many people, so I noticed, subscribed. When the choice is hardware or software vs. some magazines, the choice is clear. To me anyway.

Lastly, I too enjoy the occasional trip to B&N or Borders and enjoy browsing those stores.

So, BeeVee, while I appreciate your enthusiasm and loyalty, think before you get irritated with anyone for not subscribing to your former charge. Also, I don't recall anyone complaining about the magazine being tardy, and in fact, I pointed out that they can get them from the publishers' webpages (with links provided) sooner than they appear on the newstands. The only one who did make a comment about the "old" issues was someone from the UK, who as looking at more current issues over there.

BeeVee
08-06-2003, 09:30 AM
Fairy snuff Pixeltek. I was almost certainly the editor on 3D World when you say we dropped LightWave. That wasn't true at all but since we were supposed to be representative for all 3D platforms, I guess some of the tutorials that might have originally been created in LightWave were exactly the same, but created using a different 3D software - I can think of at least two occasions where we did that. After all, my chosen app has always been LightWave, so perhaps I was overcompensating for my preference? :)

I guess I'm just a little thin-skinned about people complaining over magazine costs and delays. At least the States only gets UK comics a month late - in Australia it's sometimes as much as six months... :) As it turns out, the cost for the mag when you subscribe in the US is exactly the same as the cost for the mag if you buy it off the shelf in the UK, which isn't bad...

All the best,

B

meshmaster
08-06-2003, 12:13 PM
around 1995 or so, Computer Arts had a sister mag branch here in the USA called Digital Arts. I have at least one copy of one of the issues. It didn't last long, but I'd LOVE it if they would bring it back or someone would start another US mag of the same quality! :)

pixeltek
08-06-2003, 01:12 PM
Fair enough Ben. I actually don't think that you were the editor that was not LW friendly. You wouldn't be here on this forum or be an admitted user of LW. The editor before this one, I believe, admittedly in an editorial stated that his preferred app was Cinema. Not a problem, but in that position of editor, it is easy enough to slew things one way or the other. RHIP (rank has its privileges) and that comes with the position. I don't begrudge anyone that. We have our very own LW unique Keyframe Mag, well rejuvenated under the capable stewartship of Lee Stranahan, and soon once more Newtek Pro, now under Lee's editorial control as well. Keyframe, as you are aware, is now guided by Dan Ablan. As much as I like Dan's books, we'll have to see what he will do with Keyframes, or, to what extent it might become a platform for his own product lines.

On the other thing, we have a saying here that goes, you can't please all of the people all of the time. There'll be always those who gripe and will never be pleased. It's part of life and we can't let them get under our skin. Hopefully, after a while they'll go somewhere else and gripe there.

All the best

Karl