PDA

View Full Version : View previous renders

gumbytrain
10-15-2008, 06:39 PM
I was watching the movie on the fast skin node and it looked like the artist went back and forth between his current rendered image and a previous one.

I'm probably missed something obvious, but how do you do that?

Thanks!

RudySchneider
10-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Click on the render window to select it, then press Page Up or Page Dn to "flip" the pages of numerous renders. Just don't close the window, or you'll lose any previous renders.

RudySchneider
10-15-2008, 07:52 PM
You can also click on the Layer tab to navigate to a specific render:

gumbytrain
10-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks guys!

prometheus
10-18-2008, 01:37 AM
Another tool is available to view renders but itīs more of a hazzle to use and get to know.
Itīs called the visor tool or vizier.
There was a video by proton showing it when Lightwave 9 was introduced and then it was called the vizier pane, but now called visor pane I believe.
you can find it under render/add visor pane but you should need the video or check the manual since itīs a little tricky to setup.

The visor pane gives you a kind of slide thumbnails wich you can scroll trhough so you can see how the renders looks next to eachother and you can control size and placement in viewports of your liking.

I would like to se a visor with an option to slide the current render to reveal the last render underneath it, just like in poser..that one is pretty sweet since you can see tiny tiny changes in the render in a good way against previous renders.

Michael

Surrealist.
10-18-2008, 03:34 AM
Yeah Visor! I completely forgot about that for some reason. I really enjoyed using it too. I think it is a cool tool and much nicer than the regular render view once you get used to how it works.

Thanks for the reminder. :)

prometheus
10-18-2008, 03:42 AM
yeah the visor ..would be nice if we could acess it directly through the image viewer and with an image slide reveal function(like posers) makes life easier:)

ohh yeah, I donīt know if the video on how to use it is available anymore?
but basicly you first need go to the Render globals panel and under General/render display select render2Image
then in layout/render you add visor pane...you then get a pane window somewhere in you viewport and that should be double clicked on at the middle of the pane, you will then get to the options from there.

Michael

lardbros
10-18-2008, 05:47 AM
Hey guys, the video is still available... good ol' Proton has left them all in the public space on Newtek's FTP place.

Here's a link:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/LW9/

dballesg
10-18-2008, 06:45 AM
I would like to se a visor with an option to slide the current render to reveal the last render underneath it, just like in poser..that one is pretty sweet since you can see tiny tiny changes in the render in a good way against previous renders.

Michael

You can do that with the actual viewer.

1.- Select the Image Viewer on the render Globals Panel.
2.- Do two different renders of your scene, so in the viewer layer dropdow you will have two layers one with each render. You MUST not close the Image Viewer between renders or you will lost your first render.
3.- Press p with the Image Viewer window selected, or select File > Image controls from its menu.
4.- On the panel that appears, select one render as FG and the other as BG.
In the Blend Mode select Horizontal or vertical
5.- Use the Blend slider to see both renders compared, you can use the Blend Mode to see other ways to compare your renders ala photoshop Difference Layers.

IMHO much powerful than Poser one! :)

David

prometheus
10-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Hey dballesg..thanks alot..talk about hidden.
how could I have missed that, that is what I was looking for..however
the slide wipe doesnīt slide as smoothly as to that slide in poser..have to check if thereīs something in the settings that would make it better.

Michael

toby
10-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Another handy thing in the viewer - with the blend mode set to "alpha" you can have an image in the background, and every new test render will stay in the forground. So you can render your scene once, then "render selected" with any element of your scene you need to work on, and it will always show up with the full background image behind it.

lardbros
10-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Another handy thing in the viewer - with the blend mode set to "alpha" you can have an image in the background, and every new test render will stay in the forground. So you can render your scene once, then "render selected" with any element of your scene you need to work on, and it will always show up with the full background image behind it.

:D I know, and if you look at the latest release of 3dsmax with its 'INCREDIBLE' iterative rendering ability... it's neither new, or great... infact it's pants, and isn't really a feature at all. Bet newtek didn't boast about the image editor features very much when they arrived.

toby
10-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Yea, I have yet to see a better image viewer, (Max, Maya, proprietary) even if there's one with a great feature lw doesn't have.