PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge#10

Iain
10-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Speed Modelling Challenge#10
Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Subject - Items you'd find on a City Street
Suggested by BlueApple.
Inspiration should be easy to find on the way to work.

dwburman
10-15-2008, 06:22 PM
about 53 minutes.
I still have to do the surfacing, etc.

geothefaust
10-15-2008, 06:46 PM
DW, you stole my idea! Heh, seriously, that was the first thought of what I wanted to model when I read the topic.

Nice job there. :)

Mark The Great
10-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I went with the minimalist approach.

I'll re-render it later. I'm a little pressed for time, and I didn't have the patience to turn up the AA. And the texture of the gum is bugging me. I can't get it quite right. Oh, well.

5-10 minutes modeling.

20 minutes setup.

dwburman
10-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I guess I'm a bit cynical about "big city life" :)

This was mostly made by beveling out discs.

I wasn't able to get the clear plastic surface to look right, but here's the render.

Hopper
10-15-2008, 10:12 PM

I wasn't able to get the clear plastic surface to look right, but here's the render.
Try SSS perhaps?

hrgiger
10-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Well, I'm a mail carrier so of course I had to make one of these. About 45 minutes modeling. Did the quick backdrop in about 10 minutes with some textures I had on hand.

hrgiger
10-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Oops forgot the wires.

Hopper
10-15-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm still waiting to see if someone can model a hooker in less than 60 minutes .. Where's Taron when you need him .. :D

Mark The Great
10-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Made several changes.

A few small modeling changes (modeling time is now around 15 minutes), several texturing changes, and displacements were added.

I also used Virtual Darkroom on this one. If you'd like one without it, I'd be happy to re-render.

I've also included a wireframe of the base mesh.

hrgiger
10-15-2008, 11:26 PM
I'm still waiting to see if someone can model a hooker in less than 60 minutes .. Where's Taron when you need him .. :D

My first thought was hooker. But then I decided that a prostitute, while being a commodity of sorts, did not quite fall under the category of item.

Iain
10-16-2008, 02:28 AM
Wow-I think this is the fastest run of entries so far.
Nice models!

Hopper, just because it is such a lovely idea, we'll allow the use of Poser/Makehuman etc for the purpose of hooker production.

Just this once!

Matt
10-16-2008, 03:01 AM
Wow, hookers, chuddy and needles, you guys must live in some real sh*t holes! :D

(Says me, who originally comes from Leeds!)

colkai
10-16-2008, 04:28 AM
I work in Manchester, could always model what I saw on the pavement outside work today - empty shotgun cartridges :eek: I kid you not!

Stooch
10-16-2008, 05:25 AM
in glendale i would have to side step feces and sometimes im not even sure what species deposited it.

JeffrySG
10-16-2008, 06:44 AM
Made several changes.

A few small modeling changes (modeling time is now around 15 minutes), several texturing changes, and displacements were added.

I also used Virtual Darkroom on this one. If you'd like one without it, I'd be happy to re-render.

I've also included a wireframe of the base mesh.

Very funny idea! as simple as this is, the texture on the gum is really dead on! I like the render with the virtual darkroom too. :)

Oedo 808
10-16-2008, 06:44 AM
Great to see these are still going strong, nice work so far guys. And congratulations to any of the previous winners I've missed.

Someone should model a copper, I do like a bit of fantasy art every now and then.

IMI
10-16-2008, 06:52 AM
Well, I'm a mail carrier so of course I had to make one of these. About 45 minutes modeling. Did the quick backdrop in about 10 minutes with some textures I had on hand.

That's got to be the cleanest mailbox I've ever seen - where do you live, some kind of postal heaven? ;)

Looks really good though - I just couldn't resist taking a stab at that. That and you stole my idea. ;)

hrgiger
10-16-2008, 07:12 AM
That's got to be the cleanest mailbox I've ever seen - where do you live, some kind of postal heaven? ;)

Looks really good though - I just couldn't resist taking a stab at that. That and you stole my idea. ;)

Yeah, my first thought was rust, scraped paint, and some weathering but I really didn't want to spend a lot of time with the texturing. I wanted to do it in the least amount of time possible.

If you want to do something similar, you could always make one of these: http://parsons.andrewmahon.info/pages/classes/core1/module1/mailbox_presentation_v2/gs/uspsmailbox1.jpg

IMI
10-16-2008, 08:48 AM
A fire hydrant. Modeling time, 57 minutes. I'm definitely not any kind of speed modeler and there are several things I would have done differently if I'd had more time, but I wanted to be honest about it at least. I just went off memory, no photo references... which should be fairly obvious.
It also occurred to me I didn't already have a fire hydrant model, so I guess now I do, so that worked out well. ;)

Just a quickie surfacing and rendering job, with no attempt at any kind of environment. Now I'll probably go back and fix the things I don't like and UV and paint it.

IMI
10-16-2008, 08:50 AM
If you want to do something similar, you could always make one of these:

Well that's definitely unique!

Iain
10-16-2008, 09:07 AM
It also occurred to me I didn't already have a fire hydrant model, so I guess now I do, so that worked out well. ;)

That's the added bonus of these challenges!

Nice model :thumbsup:

BeeVee
10-16-2008, 09:17 AM
It's not though! :D They did a bunch of Star Wars-themed postboxes. I think there's a Darth Vader one and a landspeeder one too?

B

hrgiger
10-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Yeah, we had some kind of star wars thing going for a while with stamps and other products. Help me out, go out and buy a book of first class stamps, even if you don't need any. I highly encourage everyone to take up stamp collecting! The economy is hitting us hard too.

IMI
10-16-2008, 09:50 AM
Yeah, we had some kind of star wars thing going for a while with stamps and other products. Help me out, go out and buy a book of first class stamps, even if you don't need any. I highly encourage everyone to take up stamp collecting! The economy is hitting us hard too.

Well I've honestly never seen a mailbox like that, and I get around alot. However, I'm notoriously bad about noticing details on the streets when I'm driving...

If it makes you feel any better, I *did* buy a full book of stamps just yesterday, 20 of them, and tomorrow I have to mail a birthday gift to PA, which isn't going to be cheap. I'd do UPS or FedEx, but the USPS has one thing going for them - their local office is about a mile from here. Always happy to help out. ;)

IMI
10-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Nice model :thumbsup:

Oh, thank you. I see now a glaring mistake I didn't even notice before - I forgot to inset some grooves into the top thingy. And I was even thinking about it before at one point, but got distracted! Oh well.

IMI
10-16-2008, 10:42 AM
And for something completely simple. Should be fairly obvious what it is...
Maybe about ten minutes to model. This challenge is giving me the motivation to create things I know I'm going to need sooner or later. ;)

colkai
10-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Quick one, hope to do my roadside stuff later.

Typical 'council style' litter bin, took about 20 mins of modelling, mainly the micro-bevelling and using rounder to smooth it out. :)

Iain
10-16-2008, 02:16 PM
That's nice Col.
Very clever edge treatments.

Is the owl a local detail?

MooseDog
10-16-2008, 02:34 PM
humbly submitted, one can of coke.

IMI
10-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Those look great, colkai and Moose.
I was trying to do a can, actually, though mine was going to be a dented beer can, but I couldn't get the pull top right and I just gave up. Maybe later I'll try again.

Considering the popularity of these modeling challenges, I wonder what the chances would be of Newtek setting aside a thread category? They created 'Sketch of the Day" not too long ago, and it would seem this would fall into the same idea more or less... although this has more to do with LW, so would seem even more appropriate.

How does one try to get them to do that? Any of you know them well enough to petition for it? Who does one contact to make a suggestion?

I'll say again, Iain, this is a great thing you've started here - very cool and very helpful. :)

BlueApple
10-16-2008, 06:07 PM
You people are fast!

Here is my 30 minute traffic cone.

MooseDog
10-16-2008, 06:12 PM
and another. this time a street lamp. new-fangled, but still...

art
10-16-2008, 09:25 PM
I did not see your entry before I finished mine, MooseDog. Here is another lamp post. It took me full 60 minutes to model.

virtualcomposer
10-16-2008, 09:32 PM

This is why I don't like hospitals. Cool render but scary needle. :eek:

TripD
10-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Nice start y'all!

I thought of something you just never see on a street these days. Yay for me! I got it done in under an hour too!

Rasscal
10-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Thought I would throw my two cents in and join in the fun :)

Gave myself 1 hour, finished in 50 min.

colkai
10-17-2008, 02:23 AM
That's nice Col.
Very clever edge treatments.

Is the owl a local detail?

Heh, well, I could hardly post a crest on it once I'd found an owl outline. :D
Normally they just have the town coat of arms or some such.

Iain
10-17-2008, 02:27 AM
How does one try to get them to do that? Any of you know them well enough to petition for it? Who does one contact to make a suggestion?

Ben Vost (BeeVee) has been helpful and put a sticky up where he updates the challenge list. I asked for a dedicated section but I think that's the best we'll get.

By all means petition, though :)

IMI
10-17-2008, 06:44 AM
Ben Vost (BeeVee) has been helpful and put a sticky up where he updates the challenge list. I asked for a dedicated section but I think that's the best we'll get.

Oh, I didn't even notice the sticky before, but I see it now. Yeah, that will work. :)

BlueApple
10-17-2008, 07:29 AM
art- love the design of that lamp.

art
10-17-2008, 07:54 AM
Thanks. It actually not my own design. It's based on a photo I found of a lamp post. I liked the spiral/stylized shell so much that I decided to model it.

JeffrySG
10-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Really great submissions everyone!

What's a street without a manhole cover? :)

50min on the model (I thought it would go a lot quicker), and then about 1hr setting up the textures/lighting.

TripD
10-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Nooooo JeffrySG!!!! You were tooooo quick.... now all my cool manhole cover reference photos will just sit in an unused directory........ sigh

Hopper
10-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Nooooo JeffrySG!!!! You were tooooo quick.... now all my cool manhole cover reference photos will just sit in an unused directory........ sigh
Ha! You should see how many "Bond-Gadget-Robot-Kitchen-Utinsil-Vacuum-Tube-Tractor-Hand" pictures I have ...

Unfortunately, I'll be traveling this week and won't be able to do this week's entry unless I get some reprieve from the warden.

JeffrySG
10-17-2008, 08:35 PM
LOL Naaaa you should go ahead and do it any way. I think there are a few different designs anyway. :)

art
10-17-2008, 10:13 PM
You beat me to it as well... Oh well :)
Looks good, I like the texturing. I was checking out manholes in Stamford on my way to work today.

Mark The Great
10-17-2008, 11:09 PM
The gum looked boring, so I retextured it. I also switched to the real lens camera (EOS 20D).

If Newtek made gum like this, I might buy it (new, of course).

I think I'm starting to have too much fun with this one.

Iain
10-18-2008, 01:04 AM
Unfortunately, I'll be traveling this week and won't be able to do this week's entry unless I get some reprieve from the warden.

Me too.
I have a great reference pic of an Edinburgh police box too :thumbsdow

See you all next week!

IMI
10-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Those excellent streetlights you guys have made and posted here inspired me to give it a shot. My own design, just from imagination - just started with something and went with it. Modeling time around 30-40 minutes.

Rendering took quite a bit longer, and I just plopped it into a scene with some other basic background objects I had lying around in my content folder. I never tried using GI in an outdoors night scene, and I'm not sure it really benefited any from it. I never would have guessed how difficult it is to try to make GI "do something" in a limited and open lighting situation.

JeffrySG
10-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Those excellent streetlights you guys have made and posted here inspired me to give it a shot. My own design, just from imagination - just started with something and went with it. Modeling time around 30-40 minutes.

Very cool looking design! :)

If Newtek made gum like this, I might buy it (new, of course).

lol, still looks great!

Hopper
10-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Nice gum Mark ... like the logo.

And speaking of which ... Anyone have a good vectored version of the LW logo? I wanted to make one for my clock face but wound up cheesing it with an enlarged bitmap. It turned out like crap when rendering.

MooseDog
10-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Nice gum Mark ... like the logo.

And speaking of which ... Anyone have a good vectored version of the LW logo? I wanted to make one for my clock face but wound up cheesing it with an enlarged bitmap. It turned out like crap when rendering.

if you've got the content from the v7 days, there was a logo model in there. might help.

Hopper
10-18-2008, 05:14 PM
... I was checking out manholes in Stamford on my way to work today.
Oh my .. too much information ... :D

JeffrySG
10-18-2008, 11:07 PM

LMAO!

You might be able to get a vector logo from the PDF manuals.

TripD
10-19-2008, 12:41 AM
OMG! .... Well, I saw this Manhattan Manhole online and thought I'd try it out....... 'Things you find in a street'..... not a gutter! :) It took more than an hour by twice or so.... as usual. The grid work kicked up the poly count big time, and I haven't attempted the lettering yet. Wanted to see it I could do the whole thing in sub-d's.

BlueApple
10-19-2008, 08:48 AM
In an effort to be as juvenile as possible (though the "man hole" joke easily tops this,) I threw together the below model in 45 minutes. Hoping to render this before Wednesday if I get the time to play with FiberFX.

Hopper
10-19-2008, 09:55 AM
In an effort to be as juvenile as possible (though the "man hole" joke easily tops this,) I threw together the below model in 45 minutes. Hoping to render this before Wednesday if I get the time to play with FiberFX.
Oh hell yeah ... Now you're talkin. Excellent! :thumbsup:

art
10-19-2008, 10:08 AM

English is my second language and this word always sounded "funny" to me.
:)

JeffrySG
10-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Joke or not, this looks amazing so far! Really impressive job, especially for 45min. With the right texturing and fur, this will be... um... disgusting! :D Good thing we don't have a 'smell' plug in!

OMG! .... Well, I saw this Manhattan Manhole online and thought I'd try it out....... 'Things you find in a street'..... not a gutter! :) It took more than an hour by twice or so.... as usual. The grid work kicked up the poly count big time, and I haven't attempted the lettering yet. Wanted to see it I could do the whole thing in sub-d's.

This looks really great! I can see how all of those grids would take a long time!

IMI
10-19-2008, 12:40 PM

Oh, that's sweet! :thumbsup:
I don't know why I didn't think of that. I see them all over the streets here. ;)

TripD
10-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Oh man! I really liked all of the streetlamps, and IMI your design is really good. I gotta give my 2 squirrel thumbs up to BlueApple though. Hands down the most tragically funny one I've seen in a while. Now if he had been a skunk, atleast he would have gotten a bit of revenge.

art
10-20-2008, 04:49 PM
The dead squirrel is really good, BlueApple.
And here is another manhole, sorry. Experts may call it subpatch overkill, but I wanted to make it a one piece subpatched model (except letters) and I am not very skilled at this yet.

JeffrySG
10-20-2008, 06:13 PM
The dead squirrel is really good, BlueApple.
And here is another manhole, sorry. Experts may call it subpatch overkill, but I wanted to make it a one piece subpatched model (except letters) and I am not very skilled at this yet.

Looks really good art! especially for a solid subd model! :thumbsup:

Hopper
10-20-2008, 06:44 PM
That's a pretty tight manhole ya got there ... :D

But seriously .. <pauses - can't .... stop ...... laughing....> ok .. I'm better now..

Nice work on the subpatches - very efficient. I'm not much for manholes myself, butt ... er uh .. but .. that one looks pretty damn good. Too bad you don't live down the street in Manley, Texas .. That could be a real nice Manley Manhole... heh...

IMI
10-20-2008, 06:47 PM
I'm with Hopper there. :agree:

I'd say I like your manhole, but I can't think of a way to make it sound right. :D

Hopper
10-20-2008, 06:48 PM
I'm with Hopper there. :agree:

I'd say I like your manhole, but I can't think of a way to make it sound right. :D
ok .. I'm thinking "street plate" is the only way I'm going to be able to stop choking on my scotch.

art
10-20-2008, 07:20 PM
It should really have two half-circular pick holes (wiki term, not mine) on the sides, like in the one JeffrySG made, but I ran into some subpatch issues that I did not have time to fix. Ultimately, I decided to leave one hole in the center. Ok, nevermind, we already have too many OT threads going on :D

JeffrySG
10-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Ok, nevermind, we already have too many OT threads going on :D

What? OT threads on the NT forums??? !!! LOL we love them here!

geothefaust
10-22-2008, 02:32 AM
I was able to get something close to done, but alas, I ran out of time working on it. Too much time on the details. Normally, I'd finish it up and just post it with the my time running over 60 minutes, but I have no time left to spare until next week. :(

Anyway, here it is. A jump boot, Corcoran 10" to be precise. Sweet boots, served me well... The idea; They are in the street when I'm wearing them. :p

Item: Corcoran 10" Jump Boots
Time: 56 Minutes

parm
10-22-2008, 03:46 AM
What a fine selection of 'Manholes'. Who would have thought such a prosaic item, could have such variety and intricacy of design. You really do have very well dressed manholes, on the other side of the pond. :D

Great modelling all round guys. That seems to most of the things you'd find in a street covered. But what street would be complete without a few Pigeons. 53 minutes modelling.

BlueApple
10-22-2008, 06:17 AM
Haven't had time to texture and render my roadkill, and won't make the deadline. If anyone wants to play with it, check out the attached .zip.

JeffrySG
10-22-2008, 07:01 AM
Really great wires on the Boots and the Piigeons, guys! :thumbsup:

geothefaust
10-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks Jeffry. :)

Nice Pigeons Parm! Nice simple mesh, and it looks great. :thumbsup:

Blueapple, the roadkill is my favorite so far. I wanted to do something similar, like a chopped off finger or thumb. Maybe for the next "What you may find in the Street (or refuse bin)" contest. Heh.

art
10-22-2008, 11:21 AM
I still can't decide which one I like the most, but my favorites so far are (in order of appearance):

roadkill
boot(s)
pigeons

IMI
10-22-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm all for the roadkill too, but really, everything here has been really good. I love those pigeons! :thumbsup:
Thanks for uploading roadkill!

parm
10-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Haven't had time to texture and render my roadkill, and won't make the deadline. If anyone wants to play with it, check out the attached .zip.

Thanks for the model BlueApple :thumbsup:

Here's a pigeon for your city scenes chaps. I meant to upload it with the image earlier.

IMI
10-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Cool. Thank you parm. :)

I'm uploading my streetlight as well, in case anyone is interested. Just the lwo, because the scene had non-redistributable textures in it.
I'd upload the fire hydrant, but I don't want anyone to see how badly it was actually modeled. ;)

Shouldn't a new challenge be starting here soon?

JeffrySG
10-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Yeah, there were many good ones this week, but I still think my favorite is BA's road kill. Just the idea alone was a winner! (and the model was nice too) :)

BlueApple
10-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Well, Iain charged me with picking a winner for this round as he is unavailable right now. There is a lot of really great work but my personal favorite (by a narrow margin) is the jump boot from geothefaust. It could be because I have a pair in my closet :)

Glad there were so many entries. After I suggested the topic I was paranoid it may not inspire as the other topics have.

Parm has started #11 get to work!

geothefaust
10-22-2008, 11:57 PM
Hey thanks BlueApple. My favorite was your roadkill. :) There was a lot of really great work on this one. I'm glad to have had the time to participate!

flakester
10-23-2008, 04:49 AM
Well done all.

Again - no time for me to get something done for this round :(

Loving the mix of stuff here - chewing gum, manhole covers, lamps, boots.... And Parm: Those pigeons are awesome!

Maybe I'll see if I can weasel some time for the next one. *fingers crossed*

flakester.

JeffrySG
10-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Well, Iain charged me with picking a winner for this round as he is unavailable right now. There is a lot of really great work but my personal favorite (by a narrow margin) is the jump boot from geothefaust. It could be because I have a pair in my closet :)

Glad there were so many entries. After I suggested the topic I was paranoid it may not inspire as the other topics have.

Parm has started #11 get to work!

Congrats geothefaust!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Love the boot!

geothefaust
10-23-2008, 11:59 AM
:O Thanks! I hadn't realized I won last night when reading the forums, lol. Dog tired lately.

Lots of awesome entries, congrats to everyone who modeled something!

Mark The Great
12-12-2008, 09:57 AM
LMAO!

You might be able to get a vector logo from the PDF manuals.

Just thought I'd resurrect this.

I was experimenting with my new copy of Illustrator CS4 (YAY!), and I've made a vector version of the logo.

Problem is, when I export it as an EPS and try to load it in modeler, nothing happens.

Any idea what the problem could be, anyone?

RollerJesus
12-12-2008, 10:08 AM
What version of eps are you exporting to?

flakester
12-12-2008, 10:26 AM
What version of eps are you exporting to?

Now that, is a darn fine question.

When using Illustrator CS3, I get the best results when outputting as the earliest file types [legacy, Japanese version 3, etc, etc]. This goes for both .ai and .eps files.
Can't imagine too much would have changed with CS4.

Though I'm guessing that eps / ai --> LW compatibility / head-scratching isn't strictly down to the app exporting the file, more to do with the one doing the importing.

Be pleased to know what works best for others.

flakester.

RollerJesus
12-12-2008, 10:30 AM
I'm using CS2/3 and I have found that when exporting to eps I got good results when I choose Illustrator 3 EPS.

Mark The Great
12-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Hm. CS (1, 2, 3, and 4) all give me nothing. Japanese Illustrator 3, however, works.

Here's the file, if you want it. It's still a little rough on the spiral.

Maxx
12-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Adobe changed the Illustrator file format (to more closely resemble the Acrobat format) around the time of version 9 - you need to export in version 8 or lower for Lightwave to read the file. I've had some objects that work better when exported to version 3, but for the most part, version 8 seems to work fine.

RollerJesus
12-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Works just fine for me. You're using the EPSF loader under import correct?

I attached the object as well.