PDA

View Full Version : How to animate a camera with a curve

3DGFXStudios
10-15-2008, 02:47 AM
I want to animate my camera over a curve, but the problem is that I want to stop and go (accelerate/ decelerate) on the curve. With curve contraint it just moves from start to end. How do I do this?:help:

dpont
10-15-2008, 03:39 AM
PathAnimationIA Lscript on this page,
http://thespread.riot-inc.com/_theoldspread/

Or direct link,
http://thespread.riot-inc.com/_theoldspread/PathAnimationIA.zip

You need a Null with motion, or use Path2Motion in Modeler.

Denis.

3DGFXStudios
10-15-2008, 05:18 AM
Thank Denis, but that's it does not exactly what I want. I want to displace my curve in layout with joints. So the curve can follow a wavy object that is also morphed by joints.

3DGFXStudios
10-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Does no one know if this is even possible?

Surrealist.
10-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Could the animation through the curve be used with cyclist or cycler? If it will play well with the plugin, could you say have a null's position drive the distance/speed through the animation? I am not even sure if that would work or not.

Sekhar
10-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Try this. Add the motion modifier "StickySurface" to your curved surface and the modifier "Sticky" to your camera. Then whenever you move the camera, it will "stick" to the curved surface regardless how how quickly you move it. Both modifiers are built in to LW.

Another option is the "Textured Motion" modifier, though that's a bit indirect (you'll need to generate the texture corresponding to your surface). Anyway, Sticky should do it for you.

3DGFXStudios
10-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks guys!! Going to try it all in a minute!!!

3DGFXStudios
10-15-2008, 12:15 PM
MMM sticky makes the motion very jumpy. doesn't work for my animation I guess. Or I'm doing something wrong....

Richard: I don't know what you mean. What does cyclist do or cycler?

Surrealist.
10-15-2008, 12:49 PM
You'll find it in motions options. Apply it to the camera. Basically you would animate the camera along the curve with whatever method you choose, at a constant speed. The beginning and end of this animation is the "Cycle". The animation you will control with something else based on one of the channels of that item. Say a null. It is called cycler because it is great for wheels. You have it rotate a certain amount based on the distance and speed of the car. When the car stops the wheel stops rotating and so on. But it is useful for other things as well.

So in your example, the camera animating along the curve would be the same as the wheel rotation. Only it is not going to repeat. It will only happen once. But you drive the camera with a null. You can tell cycler what channel and what distance on that channel is going to move the cycle through one time.

So say if you move the null 10 meters the camera will complete the animation from beginning to end but based on how fast and any stops and so on of the null along the 10 meters.

But it may not work if the curve constrain plug in does not play well with cycler and that is entirely possible.

If that is the case you could simply bake the animation and then load it up as a motions file, apply that to the camera and then use cycler to drive it. That I am pretty sure would work.

3DGFXStudios
10-15-2008, 01:26 PM
aaah so that's what cycler does. I tried it with curve constraint but that doesn't work. When I bake the cam's motion it works :)!! Cyclist is a handy tool for sure. I learned something today. thnx Richard! :)

Surrealist.
10-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Yeah it is. Glad it got you going! :thumbsup: