PDA

View Full Version : Realtime Animation Preview in Layout

nawDsign
08-04-2003, 10:38 AM
I was wondering... I couldn't find this mentioned in the search I performed... if I can do realtime preview in layout with shaded selected or with textured selected. When I hit the play button only the bones show up animated. I want to preview my animation without having to 'Make Preview' all the time. Is it possible or do I need a really fast computer and video card? You know something like a video game look. If we can play video game with all the textures at 60fps full screen why can't we preview in the layout the same way without making a preview? Setting the bounding box higher only makes preview choppier.

Any suggestions? Thank you.
Nor

policarpo
08-04-2003, 10:48 AM
Just increase your Bounding Box Threshold. The faster your machine, the better the playback.

It's located in the Display Options 'd' and under the Dynamic Update drop down.

:)

nawDsign
08-04-2003, 11:12 AM
I see. I guess I'm stuck making previews until I upgrade my computer.

Thanks poli!

policarpo
08-04-2003, 11:16 AM
no problem.

also, under the Options Panel (the other tab in the Display Options, set it to play @ Exact Rate....

also, what is the bounding box threshold amount you are setting it to?

nawDsign
08-04-2003, 11:45 AM
I have it at the default setting which is 1000. When I upped it to 1500 or more it starts to choke. Well, I'm on powerbook G3 400Mhz with 512MB of RAM. OSX 10.2.6 ATI Rage Pro card. not the most powerful machine to work on. I also have a powermac 7500 which I upgraded with a sonnet G4 450Mhz card, OSX.2.6 and ATI radeon mac edtition. The sonnet one plays ok at 1500 but caps out at 3000. They are all set to play at exact rate. In reality, I do need a new computer, but need to do what I can with what I got for now. I have a scene with 3 or more characters animating at one time and minor camera move. Takes a bit of time to Make Preview as well. Just looking for alternatives to save time.

thanks again.
Nor

policarpo
08-04-2003, 12:22 PM
yeah...it can be frustrating...

good luck on getting the new machine. maybe build a cheap PC for around $400 or so until you get the new Mac...you could then use it as a render slave when you get that new tasty G5. :)

DredPiratThomas
08-04-2003, 02:47 PM
if your characters are sub patched, try turning down the sub patch level to 1 or 0 in item properties.
this may speed up things, if i recall...

policarpo
08-04-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by DredPiratThomas
if your characters are sub patched, try turning down the sub patch level to 1 or 0 in item properties.
this may speed up things, if i recall...

yes. definitely do this. this will help a lot...:D

Triple G
08-04-2003, 10:42 PM
This is something I saved from a post made a while ago by SplineGod over on CGtalk. I've used this technique a few times, and although it requires a bit more setup time, it really is the best way to get the most out of your hardware:

One thing I do when rigging is just assume that things are going to slow down at some point. This is why you always see companies using standin characters when animating.
Once I add bones I check deformations.Once Im sure theyre ok then I switch to an animation mode where deformations are turned off.
What I do is create a chopped up version of my character that I use as a standin. I copy the original mesh with subpatches off. I then cut and paste the hands, forearms, head, neck, torso, etc etc into their own layers and save that as an object.
I load this layered character into layout and parent every part to a corresponding bone. I then make a selection set of the standin character.
While checking deformations on my subpatch character I make the standin character invisible.
Once Im sure its going to deform well I make the subpatch character invisible, the standin character visible and TURN OFF ALL DEFORMATIONS. There is a tool under the SCENE Tab under Globals in the Tool Bar called Enable Deformations. When that is off ALL deformations (bones, endos, deform plugins) are turned off. This speeds up everything tremendously.
So basically I have a check deformations mode and an animate mode. You can use lscript commander to perhaps speed this process up so you can easily switch from animation mode to deformations mode to check your deformations at any point.
For me part of rigging is to anticipate slowdowns and plan for them. This is one of the things I do to solve that problem.

Another thing you can do which can be helpful in multi-character scenes is to bake all of the IK and then turn the IK off for the rigs you're done animating. Or you can bake all the character's deformations to an MDD file, then apply it back to the character and remove its rig completely.

LeMartialou
08-05-2003, 11:51 AM
The thread TripleG is talking about can be found there:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46886

verry useful tips can be found there. :)

SplineGod
08-05-2003, 12:49 PM
Another thread related to the MD Scan thing is here:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69762