PDA

View Full Version : New Mac or not to New Mac

OneShot
10-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Wow! Should I hold off on getting a new Mac till after MacWorld 09, or get one now? I'd usually wait till after MacWorld. But will a possible credit crunch coming. Do I want to wait? Need to finance 40% of the cost

2nd does it really matter what video card I get in the Mac, since they don't read show that much hardware/software benifits? IMHO Thinking of ATI 3870. Plus so hard to find info on Mac Vcards

Mac G5 single core dual PPC 2.5 liquid cooled. (no leaks yet) w/9600 ATI

dsol
10-13-2008, 03:06 PM
I guess it depends how much you need a new machine. The existing dual quad macpros are hellafast - you'll be blown away at the insane speed difference over your G5.

January (hopefully) brings new Nehelem-powered mac pros. These will almost certainly remain dual quad cores, but the new architecture should bring some pretty significant performance gains - between 30-50% boost at equivalent clock speeds, based on some early CPU samples that have been reviewed (unofficially). Nobody knows for sure at this stage how much faster the final units will be. Well, apart from Apple of course!

The current machines are very very fast though - you will gain an enormous immediate speed gain switching to them. And if you've got any heavy jobs coming up over the next two months, it might well prove to be a vital investment. Apple's been hit by the crunch sharewise, but it looks like it's rebounding well already. I don't think (fingers crossed) it'll be getting stingy with it's finance options by next January.

jhogarty
10-13-2008, 03:39 PM
I believe Apple is having an event this week, might even be tomorrow. But I think they are focusing on their laptop line. If you don't need the machine now, you could certainly wait. But no matter when you buy, there will always be a new model not far behind.

I got my 8-Core box that was announced in Jan 08 this past June as a refurb. this is my third refurb item from Apple and has had zero issues. I got the ATI Radeon HD 2600 and it came with 2GB ram. I got 4GB from OWC and added a 500GB drive. I use the stock 320GB drive as a scratch drive / Windows Vista (For LW 9.5 64bit and 9.3.1 to use LiveSet Constructor.)

I still have my dual G5 and the Macs with Intel chips are smoking fast and very quiet.

J.

virtualcomposer
10-13-2008, 03:46 PM
But no matter when you buy, there will always be a new model not far behind.

Isn't that the truth. About 3-4 years or so ago, I bought the Quad G5 but sounded like a large train in the distance and put out head like I've never seen. A year later, the Mac Pro came out and I bought that. Now, they've got 3 different updates on the Mac Pro and I can buy RAM for it at a much cheaper price. LOL Technology never stops and once you think you've got the latest gadget, by the time it ships to the door, something new just came out and the price of the gadget is 50% off. :( The best thing to do is buy everything new, then go hide in a distant cave. That way, no matter how long you have it, it's still new because you didn't see that ad about how slow yours is compared to the new one. Apple's real good at doing that.

3dworks
10-13-2008, 05:03 PM
if you intend to buy a macpro and can wait 1 or 2 months (but latest until the release of osx 10.6 next year!), then it is better to wait for the next generation, equipped with the new nehalem processors. probably 12 core and at least 25 percent more speed at same clock per core - so there will be a big speedbump...

for some more information, have a look here: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

cheers

markus

jhogarty
10-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Isn't that the truth. About 3-4 years or so ago, I bought the Quad G5 but sounded like a large train in the distance and put out head like I've never seen. A year later, the Mac Pro came out and I bought that. Now, they've got 3 different updates on the Mac Pro and I can buy RAM for it at a much cheaper price. LOL Technology never stops and once you think you've got the latest gadget, by the time it ships to the door, something new just came out and the price of the gadget is 50% off. :( The best thing to do is buy everything new, then go hide in a distant cave. That way, no matter how long you have it, it's still new because you didn't see that ad about how slow yours is compared to the new one. Apple's real good at doing that.

I'm guessing you meant "heat" but if not, how much do you want for your Mac? :)

For me when it comes to buying new computers, I like to a wait a few months after the release if possible, I generally never buy top of the line. But I did break that rule for the iPhone and MacBook Pro. At the time I really needed a laptop and didn't want a PowerPC one so I ordered on launch day and waited for mine to arrive.

J.

OneShot
10-14-2008, 08:54 AM
Well my to main issue are:

1. Still running PPC which limits my software choices. Plug-ins and Games, plus some apps

2. Still Single core.

3. :thumbsdow Liquid cooled and might spring a leak and scared more RAM. Which would be lost is the board shorts out

4. Main reason I can wait! I'm just a hobbist, bless with a good job :jam:

OneShot
10-14-2008, 09:15 AM
for some more information, have a look here: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Thanks for the buyersguide tip!

virtualcomposer
10-14-2008, 09:17 AM
I'm guessing you meant "heat" but if not, how much do you want for your Mac? :)

For me when it comes to buying new computers, I like to a wait a few months after the release if possible, I generally never buy top of the line. But I did break that rule for the iPhone and MacBook Pro. At the time I really needed a laptop and didn't want a PowerPC one so I ordered on launch day and waited for mine to arrive.

J.

LOL! It must have been a long night without coffee. Yes, I meant "heat". Wow, now I'm embarrassed!

virtualcomposer
10-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Well my to main issue are:

1. Still running PPC which limits my software choices. Plug-ins and Games, plus some apps

2. Still Single core.

3. :thumbsdow Liquid cooled and might spring a leak and scared more RAM. Which would be lost is the board shorts out

4. Main reason I can wait! I'm just a hobbist, bless with a good job :jam:

If you can wait, Intel has this new chip coming out I believe the beginning of next year that can spit data out and take advantage of better caching and threads. If you can wait, this chip seems to be really promising for much faster renders. I doubt OS 10.6 will be out anytime before next October. It was about a year ago that Lepard came out and it's only up to 10.5.5.

dsol
10-14-2008, 09:36 AM
the new nehalem processors. probably 12 core and at least 25 percent more speed at same clock per core - so there will be a big speedbump...

the hex-core versions of Nehalem (Westmere) are not due 'til Intel does the die shrink on it to 32nm. Nehalem will debut at 45nm at launch, and the variant (Gainestown) that Apple will be sticking in the MacPros is only (!) a quad core. That said the performance gains should still be substantial. The new microarchitecture, integrated memory controller and fast interconnect (QPI) should all make for one swift mac. Actually.... you might be right about 12 cores. In theory, QPI should allow apple to create triple and quad CPU versions. Mmmm.... here's to a quad CPU, quad core, 16-core beast for the January launch!

There's a decent overview of the variants and release dates of the Nehalem family at Wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Nehalem

There's an 8-core variant due H2 2009. Wonder if it's on one die, or using intel's multi die packaging like Penryn and Harpertown?

virtualcomposer
10-14-2008, 09:55 AM
I've got to tell ya, just coming from me, I'm still thankful for my 1st generation Mac Pro. It's very fast and even though there's faster macs now and a new chip coming out, I probably won't replace my computer for another 2-3 years. If it works and works well, no sense in replacing it. I'm sure in 2010, they'll come out with a 24 core Intel with even faster chips inside that will run rings around the one coming up in 2009. Unless I can render 30 frames with full radiosity & HD in less then an hour, then I'm sticking with the computer I have. It's the only way I can keep myself from spending $4000 every 6 months.

Gui Lo
10-20-2008, 08:19 AM
@ virtualcomposer
I agree totally.

My machine is about 4 yrs old. It is a testament to the LW dev team that LW runs faster and faster on the same old hardware.

In a couple of weeks I should be getting a new Macbook. I have tried one at a local shop and to me it seems like Star Trek tech.

I am glad I waited and will wait another 4 yrs until my next one.

virtualcomposer
10-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Yeah, you can't go wrong with Mac. They are so innovative on nearly everything. That's why I'm getting the Iphone in a few weeks. Mac made it, it works, it doesn't scuff up like many of the other windows based phones. I wouldn't doubt in 10 years, Apple is the top computer company. The service is great and their computers are out of this world...well, almost. LOL I'm sure you'll get allot of use out of your new Macbook. Word of advice though, Apple tends to compare and down grade their previous computer but don't let that get you down. Unless they've changed the chip and many other things, it's rare that you'll see a major performance jump worth spending an extra $500-$1000 unless your computer is more then 3 years old. My Mac Pro works great and it's super fast! It's the first generation Mac Pro.