PDA

View Full Version : Any hints on getting good reflections on dielectric material?

Bliz
10-12-2008, 05:33 AM
I'm getting my feet wet with the node editor (haven't used it before 9.5).

I like the results I get from the dielectric material but I want to achieve the effect of glass with an irridescent, reflective coating. Like what you sometimes get on fancy wine glasses or vases.

I can't seem to get the node editor to let me do this? There's a reflective shader but I can't seem to add the results of that to the dielectric.

Are all the material nodes sealed? I.E it doesn't matter what else you add to the final surface node as it's ignored if you pipe a material into the material slot of the surface node?

MooseDog
10-12-2008, 07:23 AM
Are all the material nodes sealed? I.E it doesn't matter what else you add to the final surface node as it's ignored if you pipe a material into the material slot of the surface node?

yep. you still have several options to pay with. inputting stuff into the material node. mixing nodes with the material mixer. there are several 3rd party splitters available as well, from lightwolf and sensie off the top of my head.

serge
10-12-2008, 07:41 AM
I don't know about the other options MooseDog mentioned, but using the Material mixer would be an easy way.

You could mix Dielectric with a Standard material. (The Mixer's alpha setting is the amount of mix between the two materials. 50% is a 50-50 mix.)

In case you want to add only reflectivity, keep in mind that the Mixer will mix all settings, so in order not to mess up the other Dielectric settings you would need the Standard material settings to match all Dielectric settings. A trick to avoid this would be to mix the Standard material for only a very low value (i.e. 1%), so that mix-result won't be noticeable. But now if you increase your Standard material reflectivity significantly (i.e. 1000%), you can notice the difference.

Bliz
10-12-2008, 10:53 AM
thanks for the tips guys, I'll have a play in a little while!

MooseDog
10-12-2008, 11:01 PM
cool!

and thx for the patience with my typing: play, sensei. :D

Matt
10-13-2008, 03:37 AM
I found upping the Refraction Index increases the reflections somewhat.