PDA

View Full Version : 2008 ShowReel

HowardM
10-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Not sure if this is where to post this, but figured some people may want to see what the hell happened to that crazy LW artist 4 years ago :)

I finally updated my website with my latest film work - www.3DInk.com
...unfortunately cant show Narnia 2 for a few more months, and Potter for a year! :(

Hope you guys enjoy! :)

prometheus
10-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Sweet top stuff indeed Howie:thumbsup:

I loved that xavier(patrick stewart) scattering, although with mixed feelings about him dying...the whole scene has somekind of mythic godlike conflict theme to it, to bad jean gray had to go to.

Just curious..did you work with houdini particles or maya or a mix of them?

and another one, have you utilized Maya fluids in these movies or recent projects?

I have to see that sunshine movie someday too.

Michael

HowardM
10-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Cheers! :)

Yeah, X-Men was by far the most fun and exhilarating project I worked on, not only because it was my first feature, but because the team was small and the supervisor really pushed us to create something great!
Without trying to blow my horn, I think that sequence was the most exciting part of the film!
Shame we didnt end up doing the end shots that WETA did, because IMHO their atomizing looked like blobs and not as cool as ours, like shredding... :)

No Houdini for me yet, but thats coming in the next few months! ;)

We sometimes use Maya fluids, but they really are slow and horrible for production as far as trying to render smoke or fire. They're great for driving particles around though!

archijam
10-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Fantastic, goes without saying. That scene was one of the most disturbing part of cg I have seen (which is a compliment) ..

So without meaning to pry, how exactly was LW used ;) ?

Hopper
10-11-2008, 06:55 PM
:( I get "Server Not Found" with www.3DInk.com

Did I fat finger it that bad?

HowardM
10-12-2008, 02:24 AM
hmm, seems to be some issues with my ISP, hopefully fixed soon!

LW was used by myself for 15+ years to allow me the opportunity to get a job in visual effects using Maya ;)

virtualcomposer
10-12-2008, 02:42 AM
Hey Howard. Those are great movies you've worked on. I was wondering, am I'm sure I'm not the only one here on this forum, what your secret was to landing this kind of work? What type of demo reel did you present or did you make lots of phone calls? My biggest challenge is knowing what to do to even get my foot in the door. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :D

Glendalough
10-12-2008, 05:54 AM
hmm, seems to be some issues with my ISP, hopefully fixed soon!

LW was used by myself for 15+ years to allow me the opportunity to get a job in visual effects using Maya ;)

Howard,

Any chance of putting that reel up in QT? Those orrid flash videos don't even cache as far as I can see.

Super Amazing Work -but you always were the best at the voxel FX stuff!

HowardM
10-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Yeah, Ill put up a QT as soon as my freakin ISP settles down...argh dont use it for 4 yrs, finally update my reel, and bam ;)

Secret? No Secret, luck luck, luck, and a little hard work ;)
If you want to do this for a living you have to be passionate, and decide to live and breathe this stuff for few years, no life, just 3D, then show what you've done, what you've learned, and you will find the job, or it could even find you! :)

I lucked out, after many years of freelance, and learning LW FX, was granted the chance to come to London to work. That then opened up the doors to get a job in film using Maya, which again I kinda lucked out on, as I was about to sign a contract with EA to work on Burnout. They were late getting me a contract to sign, and luckily 2 days before they sent it, I got a call to work on X-men 3. whew ;) Now three years later Im about to go to another studio in town.
Once you're in, and you've got something to show, it gets a hell of a lot easier!
But don't let that stop you from just learning the tools, producing great work, and showing it to everyone to get in the door!

virtualcomposer
10-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Yeah, Ill put up a QT as soon as my freakin ISP settles down...argh dont use it for 4 yrs, finally update my reel, and bam ;)

Secret? No Secret, luck luck, luck, and a little hard work ;)
If you want to do this for a living you have to be passionate, and decide to live and breathe this stuff for few years, no life, just 3D, then show what you've done, what you've learned, and you will find the job, or it could even find you! :)

I lucked out, after many years of freelance, and learning LW FX, was granted the chance to come to London to work. That then opened up the doors to get a job in film using Maya, which again I kinda lucked out on, as I was about to sign a contract with EA to work on Burnout. They were late getting me a contract to sign, and luckily 2 days before they sent it, I got a call to work on X-men 3. whew ;) Now three years later Im about to go to another studio in town.
Once you're in, and you've got something to show, it gets a hell of a lot easier!
But don't let that stop you from just learning the tools, producing great work, and showing it to everyone to get in the door!

Hey thanks for the advice. It's definitely encouraging. :thumbsup:

j__
10-13-2008, 09:59 AM
>Hey thanks for the advice. It's definitely encouraging

3d is probably the easiest industry in the world to get into and has got easier and easier as it expanded since the mid 90's. People don't tend to have a serious discussion about how difficult is to somehow 'break in' to the skilled vocational trades and for a huge percentage 3d is no different in that regard.

BTW That's not a 'secret' either, in fact it's celebrated and started to become a manifesto probably around 2000 or something like that.

dwburman
10-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Hmm.. while I did enjoy Xmen 3, I've spent many more hours with Burnout. :)

virtualcomposer
10-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Hmm.. while I did enjoy Xmen 3, I've spent many more hours with Burnout. :)

To bad us animators don't get paid for that. :dito: Or get get paid for the time we spend trying to figure out how to pay that overdue bill when looking for project work.

tyrot
10-15-2008, 04:26 AM
dear howard

awesome once again. You worked on my favorite shots (xmen3 and sunshine). Beautiful work...DO you have big resolution renderings ? (phoenix shot and Sunshine) I would definitely print out and hang on my walls.

I am a true fan:)

Best

virtualcomposer
10-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Yes, your work is incredible and greatly admired. My wife doesn't usually look at the graphics in a movie but noticed how stunning Xmen 3 was so that says something right there. Normally, she notices people's outfits and style.

Captain Obvious
10-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Neat!

Matt
10-15-2008, 12:10 PM
You've come a LONG way Howard! Awesome work! All LightWave?

HowardM
10-15-2008, 01:28 PM
thanks guys! :)

afraid theres no LW in this reel, read above... not that most of it couldn't be done with LW! ;)

Netvudu
10-17-2008, 09:25 AM
The most important thing for me is that after all these years I finally get to know Howard´s last name! ;D

Wonderful reel Howard. Being myself mainly an FX guy as well (though far fom you regarding production experience), and working with Houdini quite often now it wouldn´t be that impossible that one of these days we might work together, uh? As a matter of fact, I have several close friends already working in that dark and gloomy place you call London, but that shares much more than the vowels with Mordor :D

Can you tell us where you´re going, or is it still a secret? If it´s moderately secret you can tell me in a PM. If it happens to be a place where someone I know works I will tell them to look for you and yell "Lightwave!" while you are lost at your screen.

DiedonD
10-19-2008, 08:40 AM
Ahhhhhh your quite a teaser arent you! The reel made me impationately await Phoenix crystalizing Exavier towards the end there! And it wasnt there!

Why though? Did someone else did that infamous part? Or perhaps youll have rights to show that great part after a certain period of time again maybe.

HowardM
10-19-2008, 10:24 AM
hehe well in that shot I did work on the background stuff, alas I didnt get the honour of destroying Xavier... but I had pints with my team mates who did, does that count? ;)

Bliz
10-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Hey Howard, it's Rosbottom. Me and the Herbert are organising a pre-Xmas drink up somewhere in London, on the 7th of November (a Friday). Keep the date clear.

Oh, and great work by the way - glad you're still gainfully employed :)