PDA

View Full Version : Simple Skin - Help needed

Amhras
10-10-2008, 11:12 AM
I really love the Simple Skin material, but it's giving me a very strange (tho pretty cool were I doing a Halloween illo) effect. As you can see in the attached image, there are a few areas of unwanted translucence, namely the eye lids. How do I get rid of that? I have no double sided poly's in the mesh and I've tried tweeking with the skin thickness and Fresnel settings and keep getting the same result.

Help me Obi-Wan!

Korvar
10-10-2008, 05:44 PM
I suspect you'll end up wanting to control various settings with weight/image maps.

IMI
10-10-2008, 09:59 PM
I suspect you'll end up wanting to control various settings with weight/image maps.

Yeah, by using weight maps you can pretty much control the increase or decrease of SSS on any part of your mesh. For that matter, weight maps can be used to control any sort of influence from just about anything you can do in LW. :)

Korvar
10-11-2008, 03:52 AM
I have couple of similar issues in my own Simple Skin test. One of the ears has a strange dark patch which I think is caused by the skin being thinner at that point than the Simple Skin settings allow; also, when the nose is backlit, I suspect I should be able to see the shadow of the bones inside. I'm pretty sure I can fix both of those, but it would be more effort than I'd be able to put in just now.

Done using Daz's Michael 3 to annoy the anti-Poser crowd :)

zapper1998
10-11-2008, 06:40 AM
what type of lighting are you using ?

Korvar
10-11-2008, 06:42 AM

Three area lights - Key, Fill and Back

ETA: And if you look closely, you'll see I forgot to surface his fingernails!

Amhras
10-11-2008, 11:20 AM

On mine, all I have are 2 lights, a distant light and a point light, both facing toward the character. That's part of what I'm finding really strange. I have no backlight at all.

Korvar
10-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Hee :) Discovered this one by accident. I'd been experimenting with muscle bones, so I started rigging Daz's Mike 3 with them. To help with reference, I put the Mike 3 skeleton inside Mike. And then, for some reason I can't adequately explain, thought this would be the ideal setup to experiment with the Simple Skin shader...

Now, keep in mind that the scale for Poser figures is a little odd - one "unit" is eight feet, instead of one metre (nobody knows why). So our Mike is 41.0105% proper size... which means that the Simple Skin settings, especially the thickness, will be out.

So I loaded up this scene after who knows how long since I last played with it, hit "render", and...