PDA

View Full Version : VT3 CG Hangs when saving project file.

Kevin_P
08-04-2003, 08:36 AM
Every time I attempt to save a CG project in VT3, the CG hangs and I have to cancel the save. This happens regardless of how many pages I have or their complexity. If I load the file after the hang, it usually has everything in the project, but it hasn't saved any of the .PNG files in the project CG folder as it did in VT2.

It appears to save save SOME the individual PNG files as you go. Any pages with graphics in them are not saved. The work around seems to be that I can save each individual page with graphics as an image. But this is pretty tedious, especially if you need to make changes. I really appreciated VT2's ability to autosave all pages in the project when you saved the project file... very streamlined, similar to Inscriber CGSupreme. That said, I love all of the great improvements to the CG and VT3 overall. Tim Johnson's templates are really nice!!

So, how is CG project/page saving supposed to work?
Thanks,

Kevin Petajan
Meridian Media, Ltd.
Milwaukee, WI

SBowie
08-04-2003, 09:21 AM
Known bug - try 'Save As' instead, it may help...

vip3dran
08-06-2003, 04:10 PM
Same problem here, 'save as' hangs too . . .

SBowie
08-06-2003, 05:35 PM
Some have found that the Save actually works, but that the CG hangs somewhere in the process of saving out the images. The wrokaround some had adopted, IIRC, was to Save, then Exit and reload the project, finally saving the images - or something like that. Hopefully this nonsense will soon be gone ...

Kevin_P
08-06-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by SBowie
Some have found that the Save actually works, but that the CG hangs somewhere in the process of saving out the images. The wrokaround some had adopted, IIRC, was to Save, then Exit and reload the project, finally saving the images - or something like that. Hopefully this nonsense will soon be gone ...

I've also gotten that to work, but only when the pages are strictly text - no bitmaps. At least there's a work around in that you can save each page separately, even if it is a very tedious one.... I look forward to a bug free CG :)

Thanks for your help.
Kevin Petajan

dml
08-07-2003, 08:00 AM
Are you selecting which file format to save the pages with?

Matt Drabick

Kevin_P
08-07-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by dml
Are you selecting which file format to save the pages with?

Matt Drabick

Yes... theoretically you should be able to save the CG project as the (.cg) format and then it will automatically save all of the CG pages as .png for use in VTedit. At this point you have to save each individual page as .png, .tga, or whatever.

Thanks,
Kevin Petajan

dml
08-10-2003, 07:01 AM
My experience has been you need to select the file format such as .TGA to save the CG page with, or it hangs up. Kind of wonder how that slipped through the beta testing program, but I'm sure NewTek will fix it ASAP!

Matt Drabick

ScorpioProd
08-10-2003, 02:50 PM
When you do save the CG project, you're saying your CG images aren't saved anywhere? Are you sure they just aren't saved somewhere you might not expect them to be?

I really hope this is fixed soon, I'm going to be doing a job involving 840 CG pages in the near future, and I have no intention of saving them one at a time...

Kevin_P
08-10-2003, 03:43 PM
From what I have gathered, it only saves the pages that don't have any bitmap graphics.... [It saves them where your CG folder is set in VT3 preferences before your project is even saved.] I know, this sounds confusing. Play around with it and you'll see what I mean.

Create a few text-only pages with your CG folder open and watch as the page files are created. Then create a page with a bitmap graphic or import one of the CG templates. Then save the project file. CG will hang while saving and when you cancel the save, only the text pages will be saved.

Hope this helps,
Kevin Petajan

ScorpioProd
08-10-2003, 06:58 PM
OK, I'll experiement with it a bit...

The thing is, I changed where my preferences put the CG clips, but the program doesn't seem smart enough to create the directory I told it to put them in. So I'm finding CG files popping up in my root directories. Heck, I've even seen them pop up on a different drive's root directory.

I think the preference settings is funky, but I must change it, cause I refuse to call any of my directories "MY" something.

Dick Nelson
08-17-2003, 07:02 PM
I have had the same problem. When I try to save it locks up VT and I have to restart it. I've also encountered numerous other problems with the CG, but I need to work with it a bit more to determine if they're bugs or something I'm doing wrong. If the former, I will post something about them later.

wvp
08-17-2003, 09:10 PM
So bottom line is the Character Generator program is "vastly improved" (to paraphrase various comments I read as T3 was being introduced) but it still crashes with regularity. Great. :mad:

ScorpioProd
08-18-2003, 01:59 PM
Well, the CG only crashes for me when saving... :(

Actually, you guys that can cancel out of it should be happy, I'm having it crash me all the way out of VT[3] when I try a save...

stoolpigeon
08-20-2003, 12:38 AM
Me too....same problem!!!!

When I save, it crashes...I've only sucessfully saved a few times. usually the saving screen stays on the monitor and the computer locks. I have to CTRL-ALT-DEL quite often.

I even tried to save my scroll as an RTV and it locked in the process. I finally decided to put my background image on the screen....roll the CG manually and record the program out from my switcher to a dv codec.

Long process, but temporarily works.

NEWTEK..please fix this pronto. The layout of the new CG looks good, but I'm still having problems with the "Completely Re-Written CG" :-(

Thanks,
Chad

Dick Nelson
08-20-2003, 07:31 AM
I'm told they are working on a fix. Hope so, because this situation is totally unacceptable.

Dick Nelson
08-30-2003, 07:09 PM
We're now doing the "Save as image file" option to get around the crashes, but have discovered another problem there. This problem is mentioned in another topic area on this forum, so it's not unique to us. When you choose the "Save as image file" option you then have to designate a file type. Opening the window to do this requires increasing amounts of time, the more files you have saved. At one point the other day our director timed this at one-and-a-half minutes just waiting for the "File type" window to open. We're producing a newscast under very tight deadlines. Can you imagine waiting a minute and a half to save each of more than 30 CGs? We discovered that rebooting solves the problem temporarily.

None of this is acceptable and we need a fix NOW.

UnCommonGrafx
08-30-2003, 07:25 PM
I've found that it's not really hung, per se. Doing a subsequent "Save As" seems to save files but, alas, not the first page.

Here's hoping those 'in a few days' are up.

Dick Nelson
08-30-2003, 08:43 PM
I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean.

UnCommonGrafx
08-30-2003, 08:58 PM
I'm saying, with that hung requester on screen go to the menu again and "Save Project" again. Look to see if it saved them that time. Repeat until it saves them as it will.
Just tried it and it works as I've stated: it will actually save all the pages except for the first one.

Dick Nelson
08-31-2003, 12:10 PM
I'll give that a try Tuesday when I'm back at work and see what happens.

steveg
09-01-2003, 12:16 AM
I just tried Save AS three times and it just saved the first page but it had no text on it. None of the other pages saved at all even though it took a long time frozen.

UnCommonGrafx
09-01-2003, 06:41 AM
Yeah, no doubt it's annoying but if you try it again... it just might do it. Just make sure it has a proper path. Try the Save as Project and the Save Project.
It WILL write the pages, with one being blank, but it just .... takes persistence.
I'm like Dick: too many pages to try to do it one at a time...

steveg
09-01-2003, 10:03 AM
It still only saves the first page and it saves it outside the folder I open up to save it in. I still don't know why NewTek won't respond. This isn't something end users should have to wory about alone. Come on Paul or Andrew say something.

Dick Nelson
09-01-2003, 10:47 AM
I just got email from my dealer assuring me again that NewTek IS working on this problem and urging patience. As he said, NewTek is a small company and these things may take some time. But, as I told him, I just don't understand why no one at NewTek can take two minutes to post something on the forum telling us, from the horse's mouth, that they are doing something.

UnCommonGrafx
09-01-2003, 11:35 AM
Goading them might get an answer here but it probably won't make the situation any better until we have the fruits of their labor in a downloadable form.

Steveg, you've got something amiss then because it should:
- Make a directory based on your project name.
- Write a blank for page 1
- Put the rest of your cgs in a dir of the name of your project.

I know you know that :D but I'm in a 'cover all bases' mode.
Seriously, if you have your VT handy, lets walk through it together, step by step as to your process.
I'm not happy at how it works at the moment but it does if I fire up that chicken, jump on one leg for just the right amount of time and have enough candle wax falling onto the floor at 11:59:30 on most nights. ;) Hey, trying to throw a bit of levity in here.
Taking the weekend off sure has me on the net. Fun.

Paul Lara
09-01-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Dick Nelson
I just don't understand why no one at NewTek can take two minutes to post something on the forum telling us, that they are doing something.

Yes, Dick, we are aware of this problem, and judging by the internal testing, seemed to have squashed this bug.

The patch should be posted this week.

Dick Nelson
09-01-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Paul Lara
Yes, Dick, we are aware of this problem, and judging by the internal testing, seemed to have squashed this bug.

The patch should be posted this week.

Thanks, Paul. That's EXACTLY what I wanted to hear.

One more question: How will we know the patch is out and how/where will we get it (download, I presume)?

Paul Lara
09-01-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Dick Nelson
How will we know the patch is out and how/where will we get it (download, I presume)?

That's correct.
Just keep an eye out on this forum, where I will certainly post it, and it will be available on the VT public downloads site (http://www.newtek.com/products/vt/downloads/index.html)

Tom Wood
09-14-2003, 05:15 PM
I don't know if this will help you guys saving -projects- but I was able to make CG save images by first going to the filebin and making at least one change (From V: to C: for example) and then clicking back again to where I wanted it to go. It seems to prod it into saving, at least images.

HTH

Tom

Dick Nelson
09-14-2003, 07:03 PM
So far as I know we've never had a particular problem saving images, except for the fact that selecting the file type by using the drop-down menu from the File Type window takes increasingly long periods of time, the more images you save. We're working around that one by simply typing in .tga following the file name.

jmbuilding
03-29-2007, 01:52 PM
in VT4 - why does the character generator crash when loading cg pages - sometimes. it seems hit and miss.

tfrank
03-30-2007, 01:16 PM
For me most recently, a CG crash was due to a corrupted file...an individual page in the CG project that I was trying to re-load. After deleting the "corrupt" page, everything was fine.