PDA

View Full Version : IK/FK Blending in 9.5

WilliamVaughan
10-09-2008, 07:06 PM
IK/FK Blending in 9.5:
Right-Click Here to save (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/LW_9/Layout_IKFKBlend.mov)

hrgiger
10-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the new vids Proton.

valu
10-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Great video as usual.
thanks for that !

nickdigital
03-19-2009, 12:22 PM
I must be doing something obviously wrong because I can't get the blending to work. I've followed the video and it looks like it's just a simple task of changing the values in the percentage slider. But when I go to FK I can't rotate my bones. I assume because in my Motions options the rotation is set to Inverse Kinematics. But if I set the rotation to Keyframes then when I go back to IK the bones don't rotate back properly.

I feel stoopid. What am I missing?

E

geothefaust
03-19-2009, 12:26 PM
When you're using blending you don't change the control of the rotation. You leave that with IK.

If you want to blend IK<>FK then you need to have 0% for IK 100% for FK.

nickdigital
03-19-2009, 12:49 PM
Right, I have the bones left to Inverse Kinematics but when I set the IKFK percentage to %100 (FK) I can't rotate the bones in FK mode.

Am I missing a step?

I've attached the scene file that I've been playing with. Real basic setup. At frames 0 and 60 the chain is IK and at frame 30 the chain should be in FK mode but I can't rotate any of the bones.

geothefaust
03-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Let me take a look. :)

geothefaust
03-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Ok, I took a look. I didn't change anything other then the fact I put in a slider so you can visually see what it is set at on the fly.

Everything works fine for me with your scene. When in IK mode, IK works fine. When in FK mode and hitting Y to go to rotate mode, I can rotate all of the bones including the ones you're having trouble with.

Attached is a new scene file with the minor change I detailed above.

nickdigital
03-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks Geo,

It still wasn't working for me so I opted to clear out my configs and now it works. But I don't think it's a config issue. With clean configs Autokey is on.

It looks like you have to use Autokey to FK the bones. With it off the bones won't rotate.

E

geothefaust
03-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Ahhhh... Yeah. Sorry. I always have it on unless I'm doing something drastic.

Good call. :thumbsup:

nickdigital
03-19-2009, 01:33 PM
No worries. :D

We and the community learned something new. Or at least we did...maybe the whole world already knew about this. ;D

geothefaust
03-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Yeah actually, I remember a thread in the beta forums I had completely forgotten about where this was talked about. This is a known issue, I just forget about it because I always have autokey on (for the most part), DOH!

jasonwestmas
01-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Thanks Geo,

It still wasn't working for me so I opted to clear out my configs and now it works. But I don't think it's a config issue. With clean configs Autokey is on.

It looks like you have to use Autokey to FK the bones. With it off the bones won't rotate.

E

Doh! So that's what I was doing wrong, lol! Autokey has to be on? Kind of a strange limitation but not a big deal.

geothefaust
01-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Yeah, it's a weird one alright. I don't know why it is this way.