PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Export Formats

A.Russell
08-04-2003, 08:17 AM
I'm a bit disappointed with the small number of formats Lightwave exports to. I want to use it to make BSP maps in quake or wmp format, but finding a converter seems impossible.

... someone tell me I'm wrong. Lightwave can do this... can't it?

Original1
08-04-2003, 08:54 AM
http://www.petrich.com/games/quake/quake.html#LW2Quake

http://www.lightwave-outpost.com/~bhood/LMD2/LMD2.html

Raven are using lightwave to generate models and scenes for Quake 4

Try a google search for Quake and then search within results for Lightwave

A.Russell
08-04-2003, 10:14 AM
Thanks.

I've actually already found both those pages. The first link would be great if the program wasn't for a Mac. The second is for exporting a model format, not level geometry.

There are ways to do it with 3ds Max, but not having any luck with Lightwave.

milkman
08-04-2003, 10:17 AM
apparently LW8 will have something enhanced in the way of exporting to game formats... could be wrong but I'm nearly sure I saw that mentioned by a newtek employee on these boards.

If you want to wait that long. *shrug*

I could be wrong though.

Lamont
08-04-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by A.Russell
I'm a bit disappointed with the small number of formats Lightwave exports to. I want to use it to make BSP maps in quake or wmp format, but finding a converter seems impossible.

... someone tell me I'm wrong. Lightwave can do this... can't it? Well usually these plug-ins are made by one of two people: the company who made the product, or individuals who said "damn I need that...".

Your best bet is to do the 3DS Max dance.

I'll look around a bit, and see what I can find for BSP/WMP... no promises.

Lamont
08-04-2003, 10:50 AM
I didn't find what you were looking for.

I did ask a very good programmer buddy how hard it would be. He's made LW/Max plug-ins for me before. I just have to drop the cash for it.

Where would you want to export Quake level geometry from? Modeler or Layout?

I am not familiar with Quake 3 or the editor.

Karmacop
08-04-2003, 10:51 AM
I feel your pain. The way I did it was output to a 3ds and then use a 3ds2bsp converter (after ALOT of hand editing) then imported the bsp into WED. If you had to make a whole level I wouldn't even try it though :(

A.Russell
08-04-2003, 11:02 AM
Thanks to everyone for your help

Yes, Karmacop, that is exactly what I want to do. I'm using the Game Studio engine, which supports .map (the native format being .wmp) for its BSP. I have a program called 3ds2map, and I tried to export .3ds from Lightwave. However, there is some compatibility problem with the .3ds files that Lightwave creates and it doesn't work. I also mucked around trying to change the files by hand, but I'm not as patient as you are.

With 3ds Max I hear it's pretty straight forward. There are free plugns available, and you can creat some fantastic level geometry quicky and easily using it.

@Lamont, if your friend can make a program or plugin that converts .lwo to .map, or even better .lwo to .wmp, please let me know -and how much cash he needs.

Lamont
08-04-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by A.Russell
@Lamont, if your friend can make a program or plugin that converts .lwo to .map, or even better .lwo to .wmp, please let me know -and how much cash he needs. Yeah, I have to wait for him to wake up... lazy bum.

PM me.

Why are you still awake?

Karmacop
08-04-2003, 11:21 AM
Sorry, yes, 3ds2map not 3ds2bsp.

Anyway, it seems to be the program not using the correct syntax and nothing to do with lightwave's 3ds files. Ofcourse it'd be VERY handy if lightwave could export layers as objects in the 3ds files (or whatever they're called) because at the moment it sees the whole lightwave object as a whole object in the 3ds fle when I want them as seperate parts. If anyone knows how to do this with the 3ds exporter please tell me!

I have been told manyu times that I'm patient, but I was working with small objects (usually less than 50 polys) and only needed to do simple things such as fix the opening and closing brackets, add comas between the numbers, and break the one big object into several smaller ones (with brackets).

And if anyone makes a lwo2wmp converter I want in. :)

cresshead
08-04-2003, 12:23 PM
if your struggling i can push it thru my 3dsmax 4.2...i have a lightwave .lwo importer for max so with the quake export plugin it should be pretty simple...

if your interested send an email out to me

always trying to help

steve g

www.cresshead.com

inf[email protected]:cool:

A.Russell
08-04-2003, 08:14 PM
@Cresshead, thanks for the offer. It could be a bit hard if I sent you a file every time I wanted something converted though.

@Karmacop. I've found at least one other person interested in a plugin for this. We are thinking about commisioning someone to write it. Check here:

http://www.conitecserver.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=31;t=000295

Karmacop
08-04-2003, 10:12 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure if I'd be able to put any money towards the project, sorry :(

Also, if texturing was going to be exported as well you'd only be able to front project the textures, you can't uv map wmp. Then there's the problem with how you'd export the textures out with it as the textures are read from a wad file. I'd like if someone mad a wad image loader though ...

cresshead
08-05-2003, 04:45 AM
you could also get yourself a max 5 demo disc and a viz 4 demo disc with that you have 45 days of max total on your pc to import and export to your game in 2 sessions..viz 4 is based off max 4 so you should be able to use the exported on that as well.

just to clarify:
viz 4 demo runs for 15 days
max 5 demo runs for 30 days

steve g

cresshead
08-05-2003, 04:51 AM
just thought... [i do think sometimes!]

have you tried Gmax this is the free version of 3dsmax that is MADE for level editing...you download it here:

http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/

gmax 1.2 imports 3ds files etc

steve g:D :D :D

Gollum
08-05-2003, 06:02 AM
I've been having the same problems with getting BSP out of LW into 3DGS, glad to see I'm not alone! Has anyone tried yet wether gmax could serve as a "translator", do the MAX23DGS plugins even work with gmax or does it have its own map exporter?

A.Russell
08-05-2003, 06:50 AM
I've tried Gmax. It doesn't work. You have to have the full Max.

If I were a Max user I could use this:

MAX2GS allows you to export your MAX scene into 3dgameStudio with a click (or perhaps two). This MAX plugin exports blocks with their textures, models, sprites and terrains; lights and cameras.

It create the scene file (.wmp), the material library (.wad) and the script file (.wdl) in only one step. You can construct your whole 3dgameStudio scene directly in MAX.

Wonderful isn't it. Imagine being able to build your whole game levels with all the powerful features of Lightwave.

Then there is the 3ds2map free plugin available as well. (If anyone wants the link please tell me). However, the 3ds files produced by Lightwave don't work.

I've been told the trouble with lightwave is that it does not have a scripting language like Max or Maya do, so writing a plugin isn't so easy.

I'm prepared to pay a little if anyone can do it. So far no-one has even said if it can be done.

cresshead
08-05-2003, 08:02 AM
gmax "as is" [the download file] doesn't have exportes for quake but there is a game pack for quake and also translators on the discreet site via the links...have you tried those?

steve g

A.Russell
08-05-2003, 08:05 AM
If you mean Tempest, then yes. I either got errors importing the created files or the program crashed.