PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Parenting in 9.5

WilliamVaughan
10-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Dynamic Parenting in 9.5:
Right-Click Here to save (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/LW_9/Layout_DynamicParent.mov)

WilliamVaughan
10-09-2008, 06:05 PM
scene from video:

valu
10-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Wooooowwww!
That's a lot easyer than Parenter.
Thankx for the tutorial!

geothefaust
10-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Man, thanks for all the new videos!!! Awesome stuff, each one of them. (PS - I am loving all the rigging videos!)

geothefaust
10-10-2008, 12:24 AM
(Edit post limited... *grumble*)

This video was killer. It's so much easier then before, now there is no scripting for something like this! :D

adamredwoods
10-10-2008, 11:58 AM
If you had an object that was, say, shaking (using Jolt or hand-keyed) would this technique also be valid?

Weetos
10-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Yeah this really makes Parenter a thing of the past ! This allows for sooooo much more control over the parenting :thumbsup:

I didn't realize IK position would be so useful when I saw this new tab in the motion options panel - this is just oh so huge :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot William for making this so easy to understand ! :bowdown:

Now let's trying that ! *firing Layout up*

WilliamVaughan
10-10-2008, 01:33 PM
If you had an object that was, say, shaking (using Jolt or hand-keyed) would this technique also be valid?

give it a go...it's a good question!

geothefaust
02-12-2009, 09:54 PM
So this is great. I've been using it alot... But the question now is, can I use this somehow to blend between multiple items?

Otherwise it's PLG time. Or parenter... Which is half-baked IMHO.

geothefaust
02-12-2009, 10:29 PM
The only thing I can think of off hand, would be to use a number of nulls to achieve this. For instance, say I want to pin a hand to the head. Just use same as item for the the arm controller, have a null that's parented to a bone in the head and set up blending. Done. Great...

Now, I want to do the same thing for pinning an arm to the hip. Now for this, I suppose you could set up same as item for the head pinning null to a null for the hip pinning. Repeat the same steps for each concurrent "pin" location.

The problem with this is that, you would have to toggle each on of the pin locations in order, to use anything at the "bottom" of the pinning hierarchy.

I don't know how practical this would be. Anyone care to chime in?

geothefaust
02-12-2009, 11:52 PM
After an initial test. My last post looks to be a pretty good solution - At first glance. However, it's late. I'm going to try again tomorrow with a clear slate.

geothefaust
02-12-2009, 11:56 PM
So this is great. I've been using it alot... But the question now is, can I use this somehow to blend between multiple items?

Otherwise it's PLG time. Or parenter... Which is half-baked IMHO.

Actually, to correct myself. I don't believe PLG can do more then Same as Item can. So that wont work. However parenter is slightly viable solution. I say slightly because it must be keyframed for it to work, and is therefore static as you cannot envelope it.

I think what I have so far (unless there is a cool script out there or a more knowledgeable rigger) is a pretty good solution... Anyway, again, more tests tomorrow!

geothefaust
02-13-2009, 09:55 AM
See this thread for continuation of my investigation...

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=833230#post833230

Carm3D
02-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Here is a scene doing it with multiple parents.

Note that "World" must be checked for this to work.

geothefaust
02-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Here is a scene doing it with multiple parents.

Note that "World" must be checked for this to work.

Hey man! Glad someone else jumped in on the action. :)

What you set up is pretty similar (albeit a few minor differences) to what I set in this thread.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=833230&postcount=43

Cool. :)

Carm3D
02-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Bad link. the "..." was included in it.

RebelHill
02-13-2009, 01:59 PM
multi point dynamic parenting like this i find annoying... cos its one item that dynamically paretns to another, then another, etc... means u have to "pin" multiple objects to one another...

I go for multiple point and orient constraints motion modifiers on the single "main" null... then u can pin it off to as many other positions as u want without having this crazy "tree of parents" to deal with...

geothefaust
02-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Haha, nice... Here it is.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=833230&postcount=43

CLick, don't copy/paste.

geothefaust
02-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Definitely true. Though you can envelope each one and set up sliders so you don't have to really dink with much in the end.

multi point dynamic parenting like this i find annoying... cos its one item that dynamically paretns to another, then another, etc... means u have to "pin" multiple objects to one another...

I go for multiple point and orient constraints motion modifiers on the single "main" null... then u can pin it off to as many other positions as u want without having this crazy "tree of parents" to deal with...

Carm3D
02-13-2009, 02:11 PM
I personally don't have a problem with Parenter. It's worked for me when I needed it. I also have the Worley version "Parent" from the Polk plugins. But I threw together this as an example of how to do it this way if someone wanted to. It would be more of a hassle in practical applications because you have to deal with the objects orientation as well as position. If a hand went to pick up a bottle the bottle would flip around to be orented like the hand bone.

geothefaust
02-13-2009, 02:43 PM
It should only do that if you set SAI to rotations as well. In my initial tests I tried both. With and without SAI rotations. With, popping and rotating ensued, of course. Without SAI rotations, and just SAI position it functioned fine with no popping or flipping. Of course, those are just tests. I'll be putting this in action on a rig later today to see how well it performs.

RebelHill
02-13-2009, 02:52 PM
If u see how i did it in that ik vid... I clone the goal, and parent that off to be my constraint/item null... and rpr it... that allows u to match rotation as well (which gives u the space switching) but with clean transition.

Mr Rid
02-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Hmm, am trying 9.5 dynamic parenting for the first time and it seems impractical.

Using WV's tut example, I cant offset the position of the box unless during parenting unless I instead first parented it to a null with X,Y,Z position options set to 'Same as Item,' and reposition the ball with position options set to Key Frame.

But if I want the ball to be 100% parented until say frame 30, then to unparent (0%) on frame 31, the ball jumps. Now I have to envelope the motion on the ball to compensate for the dynamic parenting envelope... or am I missing something?

I dont get the 'compensate' option which causes the ball to move in the opposite direction of the box(?).

How is this useful?

geothefaust
02-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Well, I haven't tested this in any kind of production environment so I can't really attest to it's usefulness there.

You are right, it must be enveloped with same as item (SAI, henceforth). It's not very practical at all. But it is the only way to do it without using a 3rd party plugin. However, if you are animating, you can use the plugin parenter. It works OK in an animation environment and is easy to setup.

If you don't mind using plugins, you can try PLG IK. It works well, check out some of RebelHill's posts, he also has a video on it.

- Anyway, using this method is a pain in the *** to be sure. It requires a LOT more work then it may be worth, especially when adding all those extra keyframes and editing the curves for them.

Mr Rid
03-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Well, I haven't tested this in any kind of production environment so I can't really attest to it's usefulness there.

You are right, it must be enveloped with same as item (SAI, henceforth). It's not very practical at all. But it is the only way to do it without using a 3rd party plugin. However, if you are animating, you can use the plugin parenter. It works OK in an animation environment and is easy to setup.

If you don't mind using plugins, you can try PLG IK. It works well, check out some of RebelHill's posts, he also has a video on it.

- Anyway, using this method is a pain in the *** to be sure. It requires a LOT more work then it may be worth, especially when adding all those extra keyframes and editing the curves for them.

Thanks for the response. I will look into your suggestions if I ever need them. It's funny, Ive never needed dynamic parenting in 12 years of animating, but just had some time to go thru new features. Am just fed up with every new feature in LW not working as advertised. There's always a major gotcha.