PDA

View Full Version : Ooooooh! This looks nasty!

Matt
10-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Yes, another space horror type shooter, but promises to scare the crap out of you, without using the same scares!

Doom-esque? Sure, but I'm still buying it! :D

http://deadspace.ea.com

Shame it's Electronic Arts though.

shrox
10-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Yes, another space horror type shooter, but promises to scare the crap out of you, without using the same scares!

Doom-esque? Sure, but I'm still buying it! :D

http://deadspace.ea.com

Shame it's Electronic Arts though.

I saw an ad for that on Hulu last night. Couldn't really make much of the game itself though.

hrgiger
10-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Yeah, that looks pretty sweet. I have a friend who works for EA in Florida, I'll have to ask him about this.

cresshead
10-10-2008, 04:44 AM
this is due for xbox360 too so the drm thing is a non issue if your not constrained to a computer for Deadspace i believe.

cresshead
10-10-2008, 04:53 AM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pzAjPIMhXfI

mattclary
10-10-2008, 08:13 AM
I pretty much agree with everything Neverko said. Screw EA, and screw consoles.

You know, why haven't they come out with mice and keyboards for consoles? Doesn't seem like it would be a hard thing to implement. Do that and we'll talk.

CMT
10-10-2008, 08:34 AM
I'm "constrained" to a PC by choice. To me the 360 represents the steady decline in quality games. There's simply too much cookie-cutter shovelware these days, in my opinion.

It seems like most devs have abandoned true creativity and depth for the fast soulless buck on the consoles. And on top that publishers try to make it almost unbearable for PC gamers to part with their money by implementing punitive DRM measures that go beyond all fairness, taking the asking price of games into account. Full price rentals, no thanks.

Granted, a few action titles are really good, but there's so much mediocre crap being shoveled out.

Things were better in the Interplay/Black Isle days. But apparently they couldn't run a profitable business under whatshisname... Hervé Caen?

I bet that come next console generation it is bye bye to the huge used games market that's been a thorn in the eye of EA for a while now, as all console games will be locked to a single console through a one time online activation. I don't really see the possibility of this not happening, since everyone who has a console these days pretty much has an internet connection as well.

Particularly EA will go to any length to screw the consumer as much as possible. They have shareholders to please after all! My question is simply when it backfires big time on them? With the current willpower of the entertainment zombies out there, it might not happen though...

I sort of agree. I play Halo 3 on my 360 just about every night. Every night because there's not much else to play. Sure, there's some other great games that came out like COD4, Oblivion, Bioshock, GTA4, Gears... but every time I get tired of them after a couple weeks (except Oblivion. Spent about 200 hours on that one), then I come back to Halo 3. That's only because the online experience with that is so much better. On average, there's still about 200k-300k players online in Halo 3 every night.

But yeah, there's not a whole lot to choose from on the 360 as far as quality games. Average playing time for a normal game, not counting online play, is what now, about 10 hours at best? I remember pumping in over 60 hours when I played Ultima IV on my C64. Easily the best game I ever played before the first Nintendo came out.

Dead Space looks good though. Does it have any multiplayer online?

CMT
10-10-2008, 08:37 AM
You know, why haven't they come out with mice and keyboards for consoles? Doesn't seem like it would be a hard thing to implement. Do that and we'll talk.

I hear that all the time, but I've come to love the 360 controller (even the dual potatoes from the first xbox :) ). I used to play Quake 3, Doom 2, etc... all the time on PC and had a lot of fun. But once I picked up my first Xbox with Halo, Unreal tournament, COD4, I never looked back.

Matt
10-10-2008, 09:19 AM
But with the new limited activation DRM that EA uses for all their titles I am done buying anything* from them. I also skipped Crysis: Warhead even though I would have liked to play it.

I didn't even notice this DRM when I bought Crysis Warhead! Oh well, still buying it anyway!

starbase1
10-10-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm seriously thinking about starting gaming on a PC again thanks to Good Old Games, who are selling older stuff completely DRM free, nice and cheap. This should be ideal for killing time on my laptop (no CD drive), while travelling.

IMI
10-10-2008, 09:48 AM
I bought Crysis Warhead and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky, both last week, both through Steam. Both of them use DRM, too, (apparently - I didn't know that about Warhead!), S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky giving you only 5 activations.

I don't know if it bothers me or not though. I want to say YES IT DOES! and scream bloody murder about my rights as a consumer, but the reality of it is, for me at least, I probably won't care about either game by the time I've used up my five activations. For that matter, I probably won't even make it to 5.

Of course, it still sucks that we have to go through this, and it especially sucks since - as we always say - only the legitimate users suffer, while the crackers have no such troubles...

Aside from that, I'll give S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky two thumbs up :thumbsup: :thumbsup: It's not exactly anything *really* new over Shadow of Chernobyl, but the graphics are better and the gameplay seems a little smoother. it's just as moody though, and very cool. On the downside, it's quite buggy, for now at least, with a few real game-killer bugs I've read about but haven't yet encountered. The story is quite different.

Warhead is cool. Same ol' same ol' Crysis so far*, but they managed to get the graphics under control where you can get higher quality without some alien technology video card from 2050 in triple SLI. ;)

*As for the game itself, I really can't say, as I've only played it maybe an hour so far. The new vehicles are cool, and it's at least as good as the original Crysis, just as entertaining, but maybe a little less difficult.

IMI
10-10-2008, 10:04 AM
But the upgrade and repair system in Clear Sky is a very nice addition.

Yes, it is!
I'm having a problem with that, though - I can't seem to get enough money ever. I had about 4 grand, but had it stolen by bandits, which really pissed me off! :cursin:

I've managed to muddle on through though, although I think I've missed out on alot, and I think I might just start over so I can play it properly.

cresshead
10-10-2008, 10:56 AM
did you hear crysis developers talking about the huge amount of hacks and warez downloads that are killing the future development of pc games?...that drm you simply hate is a response to the scum stealing their software..and people's response to drm is to get a 'fixed exe'...this seems just to fuel the demise of future pc games...

1.hacked, stolen games on pc lose money for the development of pc sales of a product
as they see their sales predictions drop due to file sharing and hacks for games all over the net.
2. prducers of games for pc adding drm scares off people from buying it in the first place.

future devlopment of top title pc games are doomed>they'll all go console instead.

...and yup i WISH consoles like the xbox360 DID have a mouse for some games...aiming with a thumb stick is annoying and slooooow.

mattclary
10-10-2008, 11:56 AM
did you hear crysis developers talking about the huge amount of hacks and warez downloads that are killing the future development of pc games?...that drm you simply hate is a response to the scum stealing their software..and people's response to drm is to get a 'fixed exe'...this seems just to fuel the demise of future pc games...

1.hacked, stolen games on pc lose money for the development of pc sales of a product
as they see their sales predictions drop due to file sharing and hacks for games all over the net.
2. prducers of games for pc adding drm scares off people from buying it in the first place.

future devlopment of top title pc games are doomed>they'll all go console instead.

...and yup i WISH consoles like the xbox360 DID have a mouse for some games...aiming with a thumb stick is annoying and slooooow.

Name one form of DRM or game that has survived contact with hackers and not been cracked.

DRM is pretty much useless other than p1ssing off legitimate customers. The more severe forms such as online authorization pushes it into the realm of criminal, preventing resale of said game or simply making it into a coaster when (not if) the DRM servers go down one day.

I'm not against a simple disc check (in effect, the disc becomes a dongle), but other than that, I'm simply not going to buy the game OR download it.

The only way they will get the message is if we don't reinforce their behavior by giving them money.

starbase1
10-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Yes, I was reading a lot about the reaction to Spore DRM, and whilst the damage done to developers by pirate copies is undoubtedly real, it appears to do absolutely nothing to stop hacker versions appearing in the torrents.

With the net result that t only really damages the honest customer.

I guess it could keep some who are reluctant to use torrents and P2P honest, but can that be a significant number of people?

The fair thing to do is treat it like a physical object - very much along the lines of the LW dongle.

Matt
10-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Bottom line, just make decent games that legit people WANT to pay for (non-legit people will always pirate it anyway, so they are a lost cause) treat paying customers with respect and they will treat you the same, and above all, price your products fairly.

That's pretty much all you can do.

Sande
10-10-2008, 01:11 PM
While I agree with many parts of Neverko's thoughts on this, I've to say that what tickles my funny bone is to see such an amount of trendy EA-hatred coming from Neverko as all this EA-is-evil-******** is so much like Microsoft-is-evil-********. :)

Both are big corporations, trying to make profit. I've long since lost my naive beliefs that there exists some other agendas among giant corporations - or most of the small ones for that matter... Still not sure about Google, though... ;)

Anyway, while I agree that those recent DRM-schemes are stupid and will most probably backfire sooner or later (as happened to Sony with their rootkits), I've to say that I still don't think EA is really that evil...

They publish a lot of great games, DRM or not, and those who remember history may know that EA was pretty much the first company that actually started to credit those who actually make the games - you know, the little people, artist, coders, musicians, those really behind all these games. Granted, that approach was (probably) an idea from Trip Hawkins, who has since left EA, but the company still deserves some credit for that... :)

PS. For the record, I'm a game developer myself, working for a small studio. Other developer, Stardock, made a well statement (http://www.stardock.com/about/newsitem.asp?id=1095) some time ago, which I pretty much agree on. So you can read from there my opinions on the matters regarding DRM and consumer rights with games if you are interested - and it's a good read even if you are not... :)

IMI
10-10-2008, 01:14 PM

Nah, that will never happen. There's no way they're going to say to hell with all us PC gamers. For one thing, they count on our mods to help them out and they probably also look towards the best modders as possible future employment recruits. I imagine eliminating PC versions of the games would make a serious dent in the numbers of people wanting to mod.

That and Nvidia and ATI won't ever allow them to do that. ;)

Well, also, they get alot of money from us. I don't want to buy a Playstation, or an X Box. I want to play games on my PC, because when that next bad*ss video card comes out, I want to be able to buy it and install it, plus, of course, mobo and CPU upgrades, to be able to get the most out of those games, and there are ALOT of people who feel that way.
The PC gaming crowd is entirely too large and lucrative for them to cast aside and forget about.

They'll do like software companies do - continue to spit, cry and moan, come up with their best and brainiest protection schemes, threaten, yell, and write long articles about piracy.... but in the end they'll just deal with it.

Sande
10-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Nah, that will never happen. There's no way they're going to say to hell with all us PC gamers...
The PC gaming crowd is entirely too large and lucrative for them to cast aside and forget about.
.... but in the end they'll just deal with it.
Well, you are both right and wrong. The reality is that developer's shift from PC-market to consoles has started a long time ago and will continue - and piracy is one of the reasons.

If you have looked at the recent AAA-titles almost all of them are developed primarily for the consoles. As games are developed on PC it is usually pretty straightforward to also actually publish them on PC, but even still many games don't ever come out as PC-versions - and many of those which come out are made with the limitations of the current gen consoles in mind.

IMI
10-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Well, you are both right and wrong. The reality is that developer's shift from PC-market to consoles has started a long time ago and will continue - and piracy is one of the reasons.

If you have looked at the recent AAA-titles almost all of them are developed primarily for the consoles. As games are developed on PC it is usually pretty straightforward to also actually publish them on PC, but even still many games don't ever come out as PC-versions - and many of those which come out are made with the limitations of the current gen consoles in mind.

That may very well be true, and I have no doubt it is, but where there is a niche, there's always someone to fill it, sooner or later, especially if money is involved.
As you said, the games are all first developed on computers. Who says only the big guys can create and release great games?

Matt
10-10-2008, 01:54 PM
I've to say that I still don't think EA is really that evil... those who remember history may know that EA was pretty much the first company that actually started to credit those who actually make the games - you know, the little people, artist, coders, musicians, those really behind all these games.

Maybe things have changed, but the last time I heard of someone who worked for EA, they said that EA treated their staff pretty badly, silly working hours for not particularly great salaries.

That was a while ago now though.

Sande
10-10-2008, 02:04 PM
As you said, the games are all first developed on computers. Who says only the big guys can create and release great games?
Yep, one of the great things today as a developer is that there are more ways for smaller companies to publish their games than ever.

Unfortunately though, those small companies which will fill the niché rarely have the resources needed for making games for those people that "want to play games on PC, because when that next bad*ss video card comes out, they want to be able to buy it and install it, plus, of course, mobo and CPU upgrades, to be able to get the most out of those games"... ;)

What that has to do with great games though - nothing. As a gamer I'm pretty excited about Live, PSN, WiiWare, Steam and others, which make it possible for small developers to create some truly great, innovative games which are not hindered by some big publisher's marketing board...

IMI
10-10-2008, 02:16 PM
What that has to do with great games though - nothing. As a gamer I'm pretty excited about Live, PSN, WiiWare, Steam and others, which make it possible for small developers to create some truly great, innovative games which are not hindered by some big publisher's marketing board...

I'm an avid Steam fan. Ever since I bought Half Life 2 and had to register it online. At first I thought that kinda sucked, but I quickly grew to love Steam and the way you can simply pay online and voila! no pain, no fuss, no long lines at Best Buy or Wal Mart, it just starts downloading and there you go. DRM or not - as I said, it's not an issue for *me*, because I'm usually tired of a game long before I reach the fifth install.

And yes, I know the small independent game wannabee companies have nowhere near the development resources, but there will always be people (in any field, really) who are willing to stick their necks out and bite the bullet for the hopes of future payback. There was a time when Valve was a nobody. :)

Sande
10-10-2008, 02:21 PM
So funny. But since you single me out here, I think I'll have to repeat, again, that I'm no fan of Microsoft. They made the crappy underpoweredm HD-less 360 and have generally done nothing but harm to quality gaming everywhere. Too much to say on that topic, really.

I do, however, like Vista as an OS. But that doesn't make me a fan of MS as a company. I just defend a product I actually like, but even that is wrong these days. Apparently I can't defend something and I can't say when I think something sucks. Fair enough, I'll just continue voicing my opinion, like anything would keep me from doing just that :)

Don't take it too seriously - like I said, I actually agree on most of what you said earlier. I wouldn't want you to not voice your opinion. In my opinion, EA is just getting a bit too much criticism nowadays - and I truly believe that most of it is just that usual anti-corporation-thing that plagues Microsoft as well. You are even not by far the worst example of that, but after reading, especially, gaming forums for the past I-don't-know-how-many years that is all getting a bit old...

And while I personally prefer some other OS over Vista, I'm actually almost a fan when it comes to gaming and Microsoft. It is hard to deny that there wouldn't be great games made especially for 360. It is also hard to deny that Microsoft wouldn't make quality accessories for gaming (360's controller is one of the best, if not best, ever made.) It is also worth noticing that when we talk about PC-gaming, we are in fact talking about games running on Windows...

I think it is pretty absurd to say that Microsoft "have generally done nothing but harm to quality gaming everywhere" - quite the opposite in many ways, if you really think about it.

Cageman
10-10-2008, 03:24 PM
I would have bought this as it looks pretty cool - and I love space horror!

But with the new limited activation DRM that EA uses for all their titles I am done buying anything* from them. I also skipped Crysis: Warhead even though I would have liked to play it.

Hmm... I bought it through Steam... I have a hard time believing that a Steam-release can impose such restrictions....?

IMI
10-10-2008, 04:03 PM
I think they underestimate how often some people change hardware.

Well if that's the case they're not very observant for a bunch of computer geeks. ;)
I read horror stories in the overclocking forums all the time about blown-out mobo capacitors and exploding PSU's, melting CPU's and RAM.. often with pictures - some of these guys are actually proud when they destroy a board through their PC savvy prowess. ;)

Of course, most, if not all of them are frequently found discussing games and video cards, and are frequently avid gamers... who then just go out and buy new and better hardware and repeat the whole process....

Cageman
10-10-2008, 04:58 PM
I think they underestimate how often some people change hardware. But then again, they probably don't care about their sentient customers :)

Thanks for the headsup. I always thought Steam was cool, because I can install on ANY computer unlimited number of times, but I need to login to Steam to be able to play, hence.. no matter how many computers I have installed it on, Steam makes it impossible to play on more than one computer at any given time (Steam works in a similar fasion to the LW-dongle).

Oh well.. getting a pirated copy of a PC-game seems to be quite in order if this ******** is going to continue (yes.. I'll still pay for the game though, but I have a great excuse to never break the seal). ;)

What happens if DVDs/BlueRays (movies) get similar ****? (you can only watch it on 5 different players, then it will selfdestruct and you have to buy a new one)?

THAT would never work!

Cageman
10-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Of course, most, if not all of them are frequently found discussing games and video cards, and are frequently avid gamers... who then just go out and buy new and better hardware and repeat the whole process....

hehe... EA surely had these guys in mind when they came up with this DRM ****.... :)

hrgiger
10-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Blizzard just announced that StarCraft II will be split up in 3 seperate products and that the first release will only contain the Terran campaign. All three games will be full priced.

That bites. I think I"ll be embargoing Starcraft II. Too bad, I really enjoyed the first one.

Sande
10-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Blizzard just announced that StarCraft II will be split up in 3 seperate products and that the first release will only contain the Terran campaign. All three games will be full priced.

WTF? Greed is the trend.

Sigh, a bit too early to jump to conclusions, isn't it? I also haven't found any real information about pricing, so did you just make up that "full priced"? :)

Greed, maybe, but my guess would be ambition - time will tell...

"Blizzard posed a question to the audience: Should they sacrifice an epic story or truly create something spectacular? They're choosing the latter.
---
Blizzard is promising that each game will have 26-30 missions, and each campaign will feel like its own epic story. They are also promising that they won't leave StarCraft lovers with cliffhangers. Each game will be a full product with a satisfying ending"
quoted from 1UP News (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170574)

Sande
10-13-2008, 02:20 AM
Yeah, what I've been reading a lot of fans really didn't like that - and I don't exactly like that trilogy-thing myself neither.
Maybe it's ok, if the price is right and I can later get all 3 episodes in a pack - I've already waited for so long that I can wait a bit longer... :)

I was lucky enough to be too busy to actually buy Half Life 2 when it came out and I bought the Orange Box later, which is probably one of the best bang-for-buck games (or game compilations) ever made. Hopefully something similar will happen with Starcraft II.