PDA

View Full Version : I've got $300, what LW related plugin or program should I buy?

shrox
10-09-2008, 01:42 PM
What should I buy? Update my Photoshop 7, my Premiere 6? Get Vue, SynthEyes, AfterEffects, or some other useful program? Buy a plug-in? I do lots of space and action stuff that uses HVs and particles, and planets that use huge maps. I have a nice PC running Vista.

hrgiger
10-09-2008, 01:55 PM
HD Instance or LWCAD 3.

shrox
10-09-2008, 02:12 PM
HD Instance or LWCAD 3.

I forgot about that HD Instance, one reason I asked, also there is stuff that I don't even know is available.

Tom Wood
10-09-2008, 02:39 PM
None of the above.

If you don't already have a website publishing software platform, I'd go there. I bought Studio 8 for $1000 a couple of years ago. It includes Dreamweaver, Flash and Fireworks, plus some other stuff I don't use much. The latest update for all the included programs in the suite is to CS4 for $400 and Adobe is actually letting us skip the update to CS3 which costs the same, so it's a free two step upgrade.

Get yourself established on the web. One way or another. But be a force in your niche.

Dexter2999
10-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Add a little more and get 3D Coat?

I know it isn't software but do you have a Wacom? A good one will also cost a little more than $300 as well.

Phil
10-09-2008, 04:23 PM
If you are routinely dealing with very large textures, and are stuck working in 32-bit LW, the only option is infiniMap. The EXR version comes in at a shade over $300, but it makes all those irritating memory issues go away both when working in Layout and also when rendering. It's a complete lifesaver and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Even for 64-bit LW, it will help alleviate memory load. It's a question of whether you can run 64-bit LW and how much memory can you buy for $300.....

MooseDog
10-09-2008, 07:35 PM
If you don't already have a website publishing software platform, I'd go there....

i wouldn't. too many free cms/blog packages out there to have to pay to set-up a basic, good-looking site you could call your own. conversely, buying the server space and a domain name is a must do if you've got professional clients or want more.

hd-instance and/or lwcad.

Intuition
10-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Do you already have infinimap?

F-Prime?

HD instance is great as well.

Kray?

shrox
10-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Tell me about Kray. Reading the brochure about each product just doesn't give me the "feel" for the products.

Andyjaggy
10-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Well it's kind of a silly question. It sounds like you want to buy a plugin just for the sake of buying a plugin. Obviously you don't know what your needs are so stick it in the bank until a need comes up. Then when you suddenly say dang, I need instances you can go buy Hd instance, etc....

Unless of coarse this is money you have to use right now or it will go away, that's a different story.

hrgiger
10-09-2008, 08:35 PM
How are you feeling about UV mapping in Lightwave? I hate it personally myself. For $300 you can get about the sweetest UV mapper. http://www.uvlayout.com/ And personally, I like buying plug-ins for the sake of buying a plug-in. I know I'll use it eventually.

shrox
10-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Well it's kind of a silly question. It sounds like you want to buy a plugin just for the sake of buying a plugin. Obviously you don't know what your needs are so stick it in the bank until a need comes up. Then when you suddenly say dang, I need instances you can go buy Hd instance, etc....

Unless of coarse this is money you have to use right now or it will go away, that's a different story.

I initailly was thinking of SynthEyE, HD Instance , or those Oki? atmos plugins

Sensei
10-10-2008, 01:17 AM
Tell me about Kray. Reading the brochure about each product just doesn't give me the "feel" for the products.

Kray is way above 300 usd (depends on EURO price, something like 500 usd at the moment), but TrueArt's Modeling Pack http://modelingpack.trueart.eu is exact.. :) Watch videos, each tool has between 1-20 different videos showing how they work in practice, usually on geometry made in them. There is a lot new videos of EasySpline recently made..

cresshead
10-10-2008, 01:37 AM
with 300usd i'd add something 'different' to your toolset rather than a plugin..it all depends on what 'holes' you percieve in what you want to do though.

300 can buy some good training in lightwave for instance....get more out of what you have got already from lightwave 3d.

you could buy yourself another pc and use that to render to whilst working on your main pc...that would free up 'time' for yourself.

cresshead
10-10-2008, 04:37 AM
Save a bit more. Get ZBrush.

:agree:

zbrush is FANTASTIC...

MooseDog
10-10-2008, 06:50 AM
for $300 you could buy a small insurance company, a.i.g. i think it's called. fair market price, and you'd have an office in london to work from. :)

Lightwolf
10-10-2008, 07:18 AM
for $300 you could buy a small insurance company, a.i.g. i think it's called. fair market price, and you'd have an office in london to work from. :)
Lol... or all of Iceland for that matter ;)

Cheers,
Mike

BlueApple
10-10-2008, 07:36 AM
Shrox-

What kind of work do you do primarily? That may help drive what plugin would be most beneficial to you.

shrox
10-10-2008, 07:42 AM

Not really, I am asking what would be the best thing or things to buy with $300. I mentioned what I do, and people have seen my work, so I asked my question. I just was looking for input.

shrox
10-10-2008, 07:45 AM
Shrox-

What kind of work do you do primarily? That may help drive what plugin would be most beneficial to you.

Facial animation is what I lack in my arsenal. What good packages are available for $300? If none, I'll ask for a bigger budget. I would be using the camera drive technique.

shrox
10-10-2008, 07:47 AM

Geez, if I had the capital to spend, I would have picked up some company at a bargain price this week!

BlueApple
10-10-2008, 07:50 AM
For facial animation you may want a plugin that assists with lip-synch or rigging perhaps. Or, drop $5 on a hand mirror and have a nice $295 dinner somewhere :)

mattclary
10-10-2008, 08:22 AM
This (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041) plugin will give all your renders a nice speed increase.

shrox
10-10-2008, 08:28 AM
For facial animation you may want a plugin that assists with lip-synch or rigging perhaps. Or, drop $5 on a hand mirror and have a nice $295 dinner somewhere :)

Yes I know. Now I am wondering who has any experience with a camera driven one. Can any of them track a video as well as a live shot?

For $300 one can get a last minute cruise booking. I an half thinking about doing that, I live near enough to a port. Four day cruise to Mexico...or ones and zeros. Hmmm.