PDA

View Full Version : PPP (Pixel Per Pixel) Possible in LightWave ?

pumeco
10-09-2008, 10:26 AM
I'll try to explain this the best I can. I need to know how to get 'precisely' one pixel of a LightWave render for every pixel in a bitmap material - yeah I know - weird thing to ask!

Let's say I have a bitmap material and the bitmap is 800X600 pixels. Also, let's say I wanted my finished LightWave render to be exactly 800X600 pixels. Obviously I would set the render size to 800X600, but how would I set up the scene so that each pixel of the bitmap material is equal to 'precisely' one pixel in the render.

Doing a manual alignment never seems to give the crisp result I'm after because of thin vertical lines etc in the source image. So, I'm wondering if there's either a known trick of the trade or maybe even a special feature in LightWave that allows this?

I know this is kinda weird, but I hope I explained it correctly.
Any info appreciated.

Cheers!

Captain Obvious
10-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Set the texture mapping method to front projection, and render with the Perspective camera. The Classic camera always seems to blur the image.

You cannot get pixel-to-pixel mapping with cubic, UV, planar or any of the other modes -- only front projection can do that.

pumeco
10-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Thank's, I wasn't aware of the camera differences in that respect :thumbsup:

As for the mapping though, I'm ok with that. The problem is working out what the correct positioning would be from camera to image plane. I get the feeling there might be a simple bit of math to work it out based on the render size - but I'm not sure how.

dmack
10-09-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm pretty sure it's only the Enhanced AA modes that blur images.

Bliz
10-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Make your image plane is 800mm x 600mm. Select the image plane and add the Camera Mask custom object. Enter the objects size in the dialogue box and you'll then see a rectangle that represents the exact Z position where the object would fill the camera view.

I'm basically quoting from the LW 8 manual, page 416

(I read this a couple of days ago and had never heard of that custom object before :) )

pumeco
10-20-2008, 05:30 AM
Brilliant!

That's working better although I still have to manually adjust the distance of the camera from the image plane. I notice it does mark out the area and it even marks the center, but do you know of a way to sort of snap the camera to the correct distance or to snap the image plane to the center of the marker?

Cheers Blitz :thumbsup: