PDA

View Full Version : Nodes Naming....

dmack
10-09-2008, 03:03 AM
I think it'd be really useful to have the original node type name (eg 'multiply') at the top of the node panel indicating what node is currently highlighted. So, when you've renamed a node, you can still tell what type of node it is....or am I missing something here. I;ve renamed a few nodes to make things clearer(!) but now can't see what TYPE of node they are (eg add or multiply etc). Makes debugging harder.

PhantomPhish
10-09-2008, 05:10 AM
Leave the original name in there somewhere when you rename it.

evenflcw
10-09-2008, 05:51 AM
This is a good request and something I thought of everytime I used the node editor. You should have started this thread in the right forum section.

Personally I'd also prefer it if the name was editable directly from each nodes Edit panel rather than through a separate rename panel (could have that too though). Having it separate means editing a node requires opening, editing, closing two separate panels, when one would suffice. Imho every nodes Edit panel should have a top section with common attributes, currently the user assigned name only.

Tobian
10-09-2008, 06:07 AM
I just am not sure what the point of node renaming is, it's just confusing when you see someone use a node, and have no idea which node it is, so I never do it myself (Unless I'm doing a screenshot where I am pretending one node is something else for demonstration purposes). If we had collapsable group nodes, then yes, it would be most handy! :)

flameup
10-09-2008, 06:09 AM
Is it truth that editing the program name might cause such big changes?

dmack
10-09-2008, 06:13 AM
Evenflwc - The editing thing is a good point and one that is applicable generally - I much prefer 'inline' editing that having a panel open to edit things.

Tobian - When your tree becomes large enough, it's useful ti be able to name the nodes as to hat their function is (eg local deformation etc). A description box at the top of each node would do the trick, so the default node name (ie the node type) remains the same but you have the ability to enter a short piece of text saying what it does. Would be really useful for when you come back to complex trees after a long break.

evenflcw
10-09-2008, 07:18 AM
Good suggestion.

Inline would really be good and perhaps the most useful/proper implementation, considering the name is mainly to aid the overview and clarify a nodes task within the network. So it makes sense that naming shouldn't cover the network with a panel.

Still, I want it to be in the Edit panel aswell. :)