PDA

View Full Version : opening scene in layout

gumbytrain
10-08-2008, 05:16 PM
I have a scene file that was originally created on a mac in version 8.*.

The scene file and all the object files residen in the same directory.

I am on an XP machine running lightwave 9.5.

When I try to open this scene file I must first find the first object int he file. The rest of the ojects are then found automatically.

BUT, if I do a save as and save the file as an increment in the same folder as the original, upon opening it layout I must find EVERY object file - even though they are still int he same place.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Does the fact that this scene was done on a Mac originally and now I'm working with it on a PC have anything to do with this?

Thanks for any help!

BeeVee
10-09-2008, 06:21 AM
No, it's down to the Content Directory. In LightWave you need to create a set of three directories: Scenes, Images, Objects containing the appropriate items. Once you do that you'll never be asked for directions by LightWave again, no matter whether you make the scene on a Mac or PC and transfer it to a different platform.

B

ingo
10-10-2008, 02:09 AM
....Once you do that you'll never be asked for directions by LightWave again, no matter whether you make the scene on a Mac or PC and transfer it to a different platform.....

When he actually does a "save" after he showed dumb Layout all files me thinks Layout must now know where the files are, since he saved them with the new contend directory on his PC. Otherwise the contend directory crab never worked as expected, if it works.

BeeVee
10-10-2008, 07:18 AM
You'll see it works fine if you make those three sub-directories and use them. Then you can put the parent directory anywhere you like: C:, D:, on a USB key, on a CD, whatever and LightWave will find what it needs.

B