PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge#9

Iain
10-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Speed Modelling Challenge#9
Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Subject - Hands
Human, cartoon, robot, monster, mechanical, gloved etc.
JeffrySG provided the topic and these links:

Part 5 on this page
http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com/f...read.php?t=235

http://www.antropus.com/tutorial_hand1.html

http://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...html?tut_id=27

http://www.erraticimagery.com/extras/handtrimmed.mov

Time limit - 60 minutes
Deadline - 22.00 G.M.T. Wednesday 15th October 2008

JeffrySG
10-08-2008, 06:32 PM
OK, well seeing that this was my topic, I figured I'd start it off. Spent the full 60min on this one. I was going for a kind of mecha hand. The thumb area totally sucks but I ran out of time. Not too happy with this one. This is a tough topic for me.

I'll probably try another one as well if I get some free time. :)

Hopper
10-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Mmmmmm more shiny! I love shiny.

Really cool Jeffry.

Hey ... If Jeffry can model four fingers... can I model just one? :D

JeffrySG
10-08-2008, 06:57 PM
As long as it's a middle finger, you can! :D

Hopper
10-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Iain, don't forget to update the Sticky.

Iain
10-09-2008, 03:12 AM
Very nice Jeff :thumbsup:

JCG
10-11-2008, 11:52 PM
I really wanted to do this because its one one the few hands in recent movies with real character (and because it's easy to model, since it doesn't really have fingernails), but I should have left it for someone who can actually FINISH SOMETHING!! :bangwall:

Anyway, 60 minutes ran out and I could even finish a [email protected]

colkai
10-12-2008, 03:03 AM
Have an idea, going to rough it out and see if it works before commiting to making a pratt of myself. :p ;)

Surrealist.
10-12-2008, 06:39 AM
OK, well seeing that this was my topic, I figured I'd start it off. Spent the full 60min on this one. I was going for a kind of mecha hand. The thumb area totally sucks but I ran out of time. Not too happy with this one. This is a tough topic for me.

I love it Jeff! Great wires too. :)

Surrealist.
10-12-2008, 06:41 AM
I really wanted to do this because its one one the few hands in recent movies with real character (and because it's easy to model, since it doesn't really have fingernails), but I should have left it for someone who can actually FINISH SOMETHING!! :bangwall:

Anyway, 60 minutes ran out and I could even finish a [email protected]

Good Choice. That was a great character and a cool effect!

JeffrySG
10-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks Iain and Richard! :)

@JCG: That looks really great! I'm impressed that you were able to do that much in 60min. This is a tough challenge - and I know I totally ran out of time by the time I started working on my thumb area. Can you post some wires for your hand? I'd be curious to see what you could do if you spent another hour on that model? Might be worth it!

@colkai: Ok, now you really have to submit something! I'm all curious to what you'll be working on.

I actually have one more idea for a hand so I might try to see how much of it I can get done in the 60min time limit...

colkai
10-12-2008, 01:22 PM
I pushed myself right to the 60 minute limit on it and I'm disappointed because I just couldn't get the idea in my head into a model. I'm rendering it in a bit once I've completed some video rendering but I am not happy with the result - it looked so much better in my head. :p

I'm tempted to re-do from scratch and see if I can't rebuilt it better, depends if I get any time in the next day or so.

JeffrySG
10-12-2008, 02:27 PM
^ok, sounds good, and I know what you mean! looking forward to seeing it - or the 2nd version!

colkai
10-13-2008, 01:45 AM
Ok, here's my first version / attempt.
Didn't turn out quite how I had intended, going to go back to the drawing board as it were (not that I can draw :p) to figure out if I can do a different style.

Trev.T
10-13-2008, 03:43 AM
looks good colkai. Should have addded some cables as tendons on the fingers.

JCG
10-13-2008, 04:21 AM
@JCG: [...] Can you post some wires for your hand? I'd be curious to see what you could do if you spent another hour on that model? Might be worth it! Err... ehm... sure! (and Thanks!) but... I kindof didn't keep the model in that state. I actually couldn't stop myself at that point in the modeling and I didn't expect this, since I didn't finish an entry, so I didn't save it as it was at the 60 min. mark, but I'll gladly attach the wires for the state it's currently at.

Iain
10-13-2008, 04:25 AM
Well, I must've spent about 4 hours trying to do a baby's hand and all I got was a lumpy mess! AAAAAAAGHHHHH!

Ahem. Think I'll try something less organic.

colkai
10-13-2008, 05:18 AM
looks good colkai. Should have addded some cables as tendons on the fingers.
Yeah, I spent way too much time fiddling with this really, I may revisit it with a more blocky 'hand' area, but now I'm thinking of another direction. :)

Iain: Yup - drive ya mad don't it?

JeffrySG
10-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Well, I must've spent about 4 hours trying to do a baby's hand and all I got was a lumpy mess! AAAAAAAGHHHHH!

Ahem. Think I'll try something less organic.

lol, I started on an organic had too... needless to say, after I saw what I had after 30min I gave up on the damn thing! That's when I switched to my mecha hand! lol

@JCG - the wires look nice! yeah, I didn't care if they were old or current wires. It's looking really nice!

geothefaust
10-14-2008, 01:22 AM
Nice work so far guys. Looking good. :)
I've missed a few of these challenges, but for another organic one, I just couldn't pass it up. I had to make some time, but it was well worth it.

Here is my hand, I spent 1h 40m modeling. I went over tweaking the details. Doh.. Oh well. I didn't want to stop, and here it is.

geothefaust
10-14-2008, 01:32 AM
...And here's a quickie animation, with wires.

Iain
10-14-2008, 01:58 AM
Nice work so far guys. Looking good. :)
I've missed a few of these challenges, but for another organic one, I just couldn't pass it up. I had to make some time, but it was well worth it.

Here is my hand, I spent 1h 40m modeling. I went over tweaking the details. Doh.. Oh well. I didn't want to stop, and here it is.

Nice! I love the thumb. That's where I went off the page.

geothefaust
10-14-2008, 02:10 AM
Hey thanks! They can be hard to model. I've spent a lot of time now modeling hands, eventually it gets a lot easier.

I even rigged the thing up for that quickie, sure like how it turned out.

Iain
10-14-2008, 06:53 AM
I even rigged the thing up for that quickie, sure like how it turned out.

That's nice. I'm wondering why the little finger is so low? Is it based on someone's hand?

virtualcomposer
10-14-2008, 09:11 AM

I really like the depth of feel in this one. Really good work. :)

geothefaust
10-14-2008, 11:02 AM
That's nice. I'm wondering why the little finger is so low? Is it based on someone's hand?

Yeah, it's based on my mutant right hand. :D

My pinky fingers are weird naturally, but have also been broken too many times, they are slightly curved inward as well. I can not straighten them.

Probably too much information, lol. I of course, omitted those details from the model.

Korvar
10-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Here's my attempt. Didn't time it exactly, but I started it during one half-hour programme, and ended it before the end of the next, so I'm assuming it was less than a full hour :)

It's terribly blocky, and the thumb proportions are wrong, but it could be the foundation of something. I might have a go at rigging it, see what happens...

JeffrySG
10-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Well, here's my 2nd attempt. I did HELLBOY's Right Hand of Doom. I spend about 50min on the hand this time, and then at least another 2hrs trying to get the textures right and lighting, etc.

64632 64633 64634

Hopper
10-14-2008, 07:53 PM
That's some cool texturing Jeffry.

I'm going the simple "safe" route this time since I suck at organic modeling. :D

If I can get it done in time I hope I have time to texture it this time. (hint hint) :)

TripD
10-14-2008, 08:24 PM
Nice stuff. Geothefaust..... really like that hand!

I give myself 1 thumbs up, cause that's just how much I got done in an hour.

@Iain that thumb thing might be going around. until the bloody end, my thumb was twice the size it is now.

People parts are difficult!! Let's do something for Halloween next! :devil:

JeffrySG
10-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks virtualcomposer! :)

Thanks Hopper, I still might tweak the hand texture a bit. It's not exactly the rock look I was going for but it was close. I'd still like to get a better understanding of the nodes, and little projects like this always help me learn a bit! I'm sure whatever you do will look great. :)

Looks like a good start on the hand, Korvar! The fingers look a little long to me. Did you subdivide the rendered version? you might want to bump up the subdivision levels on your next render. (if you are modeling in subd, that is) :)

geothefaust, the hand really does look nice! I'd be curious to see it with one of the subsurface nodes applied too!

Hopper
10-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Wow TripD, very nice. Excellent proportions. I'd give you a thumbs up, but I'm not much on organic modeling and my thumbs wind up looking like corn cobs... :D

JeffrySG
10-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Nice stuff. Geothefaust..... really like that hand!

I give myself 1 thumbs up, cause that's just how much I got done in an hour.

@Iain that thumb thing might be going around. until the bloody end, my thumb was twice the size it is now.

People parts are difficult!! Let's do something for Halloween next! :devil:

Yes! Really great hand! This might be my favorite so far! :thumbsup: Can you show some other views of the wires?

I did a small little texture update on my HELLBOY hand.

TripD
10-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Ah.... dude.... you need to animate that hand clocking someone good!!

Here are 2 more views..... I was trying to hide the weak parts though.

geothefaust
10-14-2008, 11:40 PM
TripD, thanks! Your hand is looking pretty good there too. Nice poly flow. I find that having a good flow of your edgeloops really helps create a convincing hand, or face, or whatever really.

JeffrySG, I've got to agree with TripD on this one... Animate that thing pounding into someone!

Hopper
10-15-2008, 12:48 AM
I don't know if I'll have time to texture, so I'll put up what I have. I gave it basic textures but OGL obviously doesn't do it justice. You can barely see the spec hit on the bezel glass.

Since the subject was hands and I can't model an actual "hand", I thought I'd be the odd man out and do something a little different. This has hands so it counts... uhh right? :D

Total time: 62 minutes (but I had a potty break so it was under I'm sure... and yes, I washed my hands).

The fun part was were the actual hands (so I included wires for the actual subject at hand - pun intended). I actually enjoyed it because the poly flow came out better than expected for a rush job.

Note: If I don't have time to finish a decent render, I'll put whoever wins as the engraving on the puter name plate at the bottom... :)

Korvar
10-15-2008, 03:16 AM
Looks like a good start on the hand, Korvar! The fingers look a little long to me. Did you subdivide the rendered version? you might want to bump up the subdivision levels on your next render. (if you are modeling in subd, that is) :)

It's subpatched, just left at the default "3" subdivision level. The "wireframe" version was put to subD level 1 and had the "other edges" thingy ticked.

The proportions are all a bit whacky - I have a bad habit of churning out the geometry and then trying to move everything into place, instead of making sure the polygons from which the fingers will spring are the right size and shape before extending them... I perhaps could do with working with backdrop images for guides instead of eyeballing it :)

colkai
10-15-2008, 03:44 AM
Since the subject was hands and I can't model an actual "hand", I thought I'd be the odd man out and do something a little different. This has hands so it counts... uhh right? :D

Yuh see, this is why I love these challenges, seeing how people push out from what one automatically falls into thinking about. :) :thumbsup:

Iain
10-15-2008, 03:45 AM
Good stuff guys.

Hey Korvar-where are you exactly? I'm from Hamilton originally.

Korvar
10-15-2008, 03:52 AM
Good stuff guys.

Hey Korvar-where are you exactly? I'm from Hamilton originally.

Originally, from Australia, but I'm now in Harthill, a small village pretty much exactly between Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Iain
10-15-2008, 03:53 AM
Originally, from Australia, but I'm now in Harthill, a small village pretty much exactly between Edinburgh and Glasgow.

I know it well. How the hell did you get from Oz to Harthill?

Korvar
10-15-2008, 03:59 AM
Oz -> England: Parents (I was only 13 at the time, and got no say)
Moved to bits of England as Mum was in the RAF and posted hither and yon
England -> Scotland: attended Dundee University (didn't get the A-level results I needed, and they were the ones who accepted me in clearing)
Remained in Dundee for 17 years
Dundee -> Livingston: Job. I was working in a call centre, taking technical support calls for BT's business ADSL service, and needed a change.
Livingston -> Harthill: The people who owned the flat I was renting decided they would like to live in it themselves. I was extremely poor at the time, and could only get a flat with the same letting company I was with, and the only thing they had that I could afford (prices in Livingston having gone a bit mad) was in Harthill.

Iain
10-15-2008, 04:31 AM
Ah that explains it. It's not the kind of place you'd think of leaving another country to live in :)

art
10-15-2008, 07:12 AM
Very nice Hopper. I had something similar in mind but I thought it would not qualify. I guess I was wrong :) I would not make it this good anyway. What was your modeling prosess for the hands, if I may ask?
I tried real hand, but I wasted 20 minutes on one not so good looking finger and I gave up.

parm
10-15-2008, 10:06 AM
I'll add my effort to this, as usual, impressive bunch.

Nice clock and hands Hopper:thumbsup:

Quite basic, but quite a bit less than an hour, 47 minutes modelling. Model attached, if anyone wants it to improve on.

JeffrySG
10-15-2008, 10:10 AM
^wow! great looking wires on that hand parm! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hopper
10-15-2008, 11:24 AM

Impressive poly flow! Thanks for the attachment. I might just have to save those for later... :)

parm
10-15-2008, 01:07 PM
JeffrySG. Thanks

And Hopper, you're very welcome :)

TripD
10-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Great hand Parm.... I'm jealous of how little geometry you required to do it too!

Hopper, nice twist on the concept. Really great modelling. Makes me want to rethink the contest now. ;D

Iain
10-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Nice work Parm!

JeffrySG
10-15-2008, 02:23 PM
JeffrySG. Thanks

And Hopper, you're very welcome :)

Ok, after looking at your model, I'm even more impressed with how the model is. :thumbsup::)

IMI
10-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Yes, thank you for the hand parm, it looks really good! I've been UV mapping it, gonna see if I can do anything with it in ZBrush.

BlueApple
10-15-2008, 03:00 PM
JeffrySG - really like each of your entries; nice contrast between the two.
TripD & Parm - very strong entries from both of you.

I think this one will be close.

Iain
10-15-2008, 03:52 PM
10 weeks in already...........

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=766278#post766278

Thanks to BlueApple.

JeffrySG will announce the Hands winner in his own time.

Korvar
10-15-2008, 03:59 PM

Nice clock and hands Hopper:thumbsup:

Quite basic, but quite a bit less than an hour, 47 minutes modelling. Model attached, if anyone wants it to improve on.

Very impressive!

Hopper
10-15-2008, 04:02 PM
10 weeks in already...........
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=766278#post766278

Things you find in a city street...

Oh I am soooooo gonna model a street. dibs! :D

TripD
10-15-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm gonna model the chewing gum that got stuck to my shoes today!!!

colkai
10-16-2008, 04:17 AM
may give me an excuse to use the roadside refs I have had lying around for a project that went South. :)

JeffrySG
10-16-2008, 06:42 AM
Well after going through all the entries again - there were a lot of great ones - I'm going to have to pick...

parm

as the winner of the week 9 speed challenge!!!

Big congrats! I think the hand was really well executed and showed the true power of a very well designed subd hand. :thumbsup:

Mark The Great
10-16-2008, 06:44 AM
I'm gonna model the chewing gum that got stuck to my shoes today!!!

Oh, man I just saw this.

I didn't steal your idea intentionally. Rest assured that it was a completely independent thought. :thumbsup:

colkai
10-16-2008, 07:08 AM
Well done Parm, have to agree, very clean bit of work. :)

BlueApple
10-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Great work, Parm. A well-deserved win.

TripD
10-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Oh, man I just saw this.

I didn't steal your idea intentionally. Rest assured that it was a completely independent thought. :thumbsup:

No worries..... The idea wasn't stuck on me.... errrr

TripD
10-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Parm.... need to model a 2nd hand so I can give you 2 thumbs up! :D

Iain
10-17-2008, 03:46 AM
Parm.... need to model a 2nd hand so I can give you 2 thumbs up! :D

Hah-that made me laugh.
"
I'm Rick James, b*tch!"

parm
10-17-2008, 06:44 AM
Great work, Parm. A well-deserved win.

Hey! what? When did that happen?

Thanks JeffrySG, and to everyone for your kind comments.

Cheers:)

Iain
10-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Hey! what? When did that happen?

Thanks JeffrySG, and to everyone for your kind comments.

Cheers:)

Congrats Parm.

You have a PM from me. Hope you get a chance to reply today as I'm away all next week.