PDA

View Full Version : Setup for rotating wrist?

silverline
08-04-2003, 06:13 AM
Hey everybody -

Anyone have a good bone/endo setup so that a characters wrist/lower forearm rotates (bank) along with the hand?

I set my character up with a cloned forearm bone that follows the hand bank rotate channel and has its own weight map, but I can only rotate the hand 90 degrees before the forearm starts pinching.

Thanks

hrgiger
08-04-2003, 07:24 AM
This was my solution a while back:

http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/38356.html?1043978661

check out the second gif. I rotated the palm a complete 180degrees without crimping. You'll find how to do smart skinning in the tutorials section here on Newtek's site:

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/animation/smart-skin/index.html

In there it shows you how to setup smartskin for a bending forearm, you just have to apply it in this case to the bank channel of the wrist. Works the same. The best thing about it, there's no need for extra bones in the forearm or anything like that.

Dangerman
08-04-2003, 03:38 PM
Probably not as powerful as smartskin, but quite effective. Split your forearm bone in 2. Rotate the forarm bone nearest the wrist for wrist bank. Shouldn't require any new weight maps.

CiaranM
08-04-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Dangerman
Probably not as powerful as smartskin, but quite effective. Split your forearm bone in 2. Rotate the forarm bone nearest the wrist for wrist bank. Shouldn't require any new weight maps.

You could also add a low percentage follower to the second of the forearm bones, to dissipate the rotation along the whole forearm.

silverline
08-05-2003, 07:18 AM
I tried the seperate bone idea with lowered percentage followers to taper the rotation, however no luck. I even tried it with 5 forearm bones and seperate weight maps for each! It did make the crimping smaller however, except with more of them. Maybe I need to spend a little more time tweakin the wt. maps. - Thanks for the links H.R.Giger - I'll have to check them out in a few days as my ship is going to pull into Hong Kong tommorow morning. I've got some boozin to catch up on- Later !!