PDA

View Full Version : Introduction to the Dome Light, Light Type

WilliamVaughan
10-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Introduction to the Dome Light, Light Type:
Right-Click Here to save (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/LW_9/Layout_DomeLight.mov)

Dirk
10-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks, exactly what I need right now :D

Do You plan to make tutorial vid about GI and radiosity? That would be great (ducking just in case I've missed it)

WilliamVaughan
10-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks, exactly what I need right now :D

Do You plan to make tutorial vid about GI and radiosity? That would be great (ducking just in case I've missed it)

yes...just need to clone myself a few times...I have it on my looooooooooong list of videos I want to do :)

Silkrooster
10-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks for that William. I wasn't sure what the angle did. Now I am in the know.:dance:
Silk

Kuzey
10-10-2008, 07:54 AM
I love dome lights and how you get soft shadows without doing anything :D

Downloading the new set of videos as I type.

Many thanks William and keep them coming :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kuzey

JBT27
10-16-2008, 04:55 PM
The Dome Light is great, but the rendering hit to get high-quality soft shadows is huge.

I was all set to use it on an outdoor scene, around 140,000 polys, but the render time went from 21 secs with a Distant Light, to 8 mins 40 secs with the Dome Light set to a quality of 12, no GI and no textures yet.....

I set the angle to just 1% - 1%-5% seems to be a good range for mimicking sunlight shadows - and maybe 12 is a bit high for quality, but all the same, these new lights are a great advert for getting the fastest hardware you can afford :)

Looks like my old dual-core's days are numbered for LW at this rate.....

Julian.

WilliamVaughan
10-16-2008, 07:26 PM
It's the same kind of hit you take for Area Lights IMHO

jameswillmott
10-16-2008, 07:28 PM
The tighter the angle the less quality you need too.

tyrot
10-17-2008, 04:18 AM
dear james, proton

is dome light relatively better for matching Video footage? HD,SD...video footage. I am asking because new lights are coming and if they improve our current workflow we must switch to them...right...

Best

WilliamVaughan
10-17-2008, 04:40 AM
Better in that it produces better shadows IMHO...more realistic shadows. But it depends on the shot. Sometimes a Distant light is all you need...esp when the sun is high in the sky on a cloudless day :)

IMI
10-17-2008, 05:28 AM
Thanks for that William. I wasn't sure what the angle did.

Yes, same here. The angle control is about the same thing as modo's "spread angle". I am very happy to see this in Layout now.
I was initially under the impression it was some sort of a GI light, in the way one might take a half sphere, flip the polys and make them luminous, or place a whole lot of lights around the inner polygons to fake radiosity.
And here I was trying to resize it or stretch it, hoping to get it to cover a scene. No go, it doesn't work that way.
Turns out it's an incredibly useful light after all. Thank you. :)

JBT27
10-17-2008, 12:08 PM
It's the same kind of hit you take for Area Lights IMHO

Yes, seems about right from testing such things - I'd just like them to be good and fast!

Tight angles are mostly all you need for daylight, and it's true that a lower quality setting does suffice for medium and long shots, though I haven't tested animating this shot yet.

Julian.

malinhess
10-20-2008, 10:21 AM
I have Lightwave 9.3.1 for Mac and I have no Dome Light. Where is it?

IMI
10-20-2008, 11:19 AM
I have Lightwave 9.3.1 for Mac and I have no Dome Light. Where is it?

It's not in any versions prior to 9.5.