PDA

View Full Version : Introduction to Headlight

WilliamVaughan
10-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Introduction to Headlight:
Right-Click Here to save (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/LW_9/Layout_Headlight.mov)

JeffrySG
10-08-2008, 07:50 PM
I've been using Headlight a lot lately. Thx for the vid!

dogbite
10-09-2008, 07:11 AM
all the files housed in the newtek ftp dont work well for me.
its extremelly slow and keeps stopping in the middle of the download.

can you please upload them to a mirror server ?

RonGC
10-10-2008, 02:39 PM
William. Thanks for pointing out Headlight to me, i hadn't stumbled across it before. Guess i'm not spending enough time in layout recently.

This is one of those very useful little additions to LW that sneak in if your not looking:D

Ron

IMI
10-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Oh yeah, gotta love it!
That's one of the first things I learned about in the XSI Mod Tool, and I thought to myself, LW *really* could use something like that. I can't say how happy I was to see it added to LW.
Thanks for the vid. :)

hrgiger
10-13-2008, 05:35 PM
In XSI you have a value slider for the headlight intensity, do we have a way to adjust it in Lightwave?

WilliamVaughan
10-13-2008, 05:59 PM
In XSI you have a value slider for the headlight intensity, do we have a way to adjust it in Lightwave?

to my knowledge it is just a toggle with no options

hrgiger
10-13-2008, 08:12 PM
That's too bad, hopefully Newtek will address that. Take the default scene for example, the distant light at 100% + the headlight makes for a really overblown light in your display on one side of the model(which is almost as bad as having no light). Perhaps they can at least find a way to 'normalize' it along with other lights if it's overblown like that.

IMI
10-14-2008, 12:44 AM
That's too bad, hopefully Newtek will address that. Take the default scene for example, the distant light at 100% + the headlight makes for a really overblown light in your display on one side of the model(which is almost as bad as having no light). Perhaps they can at least find a way to 'normalize' it along with other lights if it's overblown like that.

It's not much more of a workaround than just setting your distant light or whatever to a lower setting temporarily, but if you open up light properties and set the ambient intensity to a negative value you can compensate for that overblown effect that you get with Headlight on.

toby
10-14-2008, 12:53 AM
Is this any different than making a light that's set to affect OpenGL only? I've always had an "OGL" light in my scenes, and I can change the intensity, or the color, etc.

hrgiger
10-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Well, the thing I like about XSI headlight is that it overrides the lighting in the scene so it gives me an even shading no matter which side of the model I'm viewing. that's why I said it would be nice if LW headlight could somehow normalize the lighting. Sometimes you may want to see your OGL lights but when I'm animating or doing any other work that doesn't involve lighting, I want a nice even view of my objects.

IMI
10-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I hear you. We don't really need a 'headlight" though, all we really need is a toggle between OGL lights and... non - OGL, I guess. Like what we see in Modeler - it would be great to just click a button and see everything lit evenly, with none of the OGL lights affecting anything.

hrgiger
10-14-2008, 11:43 AM
How you see models in modeler is pretty much how they appear in a XSI viewport with the headlight on. The only difference is that you can adjust the brightness up or down.