PDA

View Full Version : Vue Sunset

adrian
10-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Hi guys,

I've started this sunset in Vue and I plan to add some LW stuff into it (hot air balloon, some birds.. maybe a ship in the distance). For now though I could really do with some feedback on the sunset itself, namely:

* the colours
* the layout of the scene
* the brightness

Thanks for looking :thumbsup:

tawolf
10-08-2008, 01:03 PM
It is very good, but for some reason my eyes are first drawn to the aircraft condensation trails. Maybe it's the geometry don't know but it distracts me from the purity of the scene

tawolf

virtualcomposer
10-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Vue makes beautiful landscapes and looking forward to when 7 comes out. I heard the render engine is greatly improved.

Nangleator
10-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Color and detail look good. The clouds look slightly 2D, but if the rest of the shot is good, it will pass.

The horizon looks wrong. I think you need the sky directly over the horizon to be brighter and blurred. Like the distant sky is affected by fog.

Digital Hermit
10-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Composition/layout: Think in thirds... lowering your horizon to the bottom third of the frame. Think left to right, your elements are placed in a way that leads me off the picture. What is needed is for those elements to lead me back to a "point of interest" in the shot.

Tawolf is correct in that you notice the con-trails because they are a strong unnatural element (Its okay to have them, but being that nature does not produce a straight line and they are in the near the center you are drawn to them and there is no reason to be, because it is not the focus.)

And since a picture is worth a thousand words... I just flipped, cropped and adjusted your composition with and added extension. Its not meant to be perfect, just wanted to illustrate what I was talking about. :D

Hope this helps.

adrian
10-09-2008, 02:11 AM
Thanks guys, this is most helpful :D

Stunt Pixels
10-09-2008, 02:18 AM
Looks real pretty, but one thing that bugs me is the water. As it gets shallower it should be getting both lighter and waves should be forming as the water gets shallower. It looks a bit strange that under the palms there are still no signs of waves... Dunno how to do that in Vue.

Can't resist giving a reference (http://www.flickr.com/photos/adriangray/170316703/in/set-72157594170407362/)

ben martin
10-09-2008, 05:04 AM
I don't like the cloud's jet streams... you can fix that easily in Vue Atmosphere Editor / Cloud Layers.
Unless you are needing those jet streams, it destroys the Landscape point of interest.

Edit: huh, i dind't saw the second image... well after all it's not jet streams but something else... the coulds are really weird... are those Vue native clouds?
It seems like if you have lines crossing that sky!

adrian
10-09-2008, 07:52 AM
No the second image isn't mine as such, D.H was just illustrating composition for me.

I will certainly get rid of those jet stream clouds and I think I will also raise the camera angle so there's less water but more of the sky. That will also get rid of the problem of the shallow water near the camera.

The clouds are a mixture of Vue's clouds (not spectral) and a photo of real clouds overlayed and color corrected on top.

ben martin
10-09-2008, 08:26 AM
No the second image isn't mine as such, D.H was just illustrating composition for me.
Ok, got it!
Anyway, instead of moving the camera up, I would consider to add a small sand beach and throw some large rocks at the corner and add some small stones near the palm tree.
Just my composition idea.

adrian
10-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Yeah I hear what you're saying... only thing is I don't know how to make a beach with waves/foam at the edge. I'm by no means a Vue expert yet!

ben martin
10-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah I hear what you're saying... only thing is I don't know how to make a beach with waves/foam at the edge. I'm by no means a Vue expert yet!
So, let's clarify... are you aiming to an animated scene or a static image?

Anyway, take a look at this: http://paroge.com/vde/tutorial/shore/default.htm

adrian
10-09-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm only going for a static image on this project.

Digital Hermit
10-09-2008, 01:00 PM
I guess I am gonna focus on the composition/layout of this thread and not the technical execution of the elemental details.

Is it important to the composition to have a beach shown, so much that it is illustrated? Reason being, it may not be a needed, as a necessary practicality, to validate that it is a beach scene. I other words does the beach complement what your are trying to achieve or distract from it or is it to become the focus of the composition?

To me there already is a "beach"; implied by the palm fronds.

Another question is... even in a landscape/seascape shot... what elements or element do you want the viewer to really take in. What other balanced elements outside of your main element will aid in helping us understand it.

shrox
10-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Is Vue like Bryce? I have been thinking about buying a good plug in or program, how does Vue contribute to Lightwave as far as doing things I can't do in LW or could do easier?

ben martin
10-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Is Vue like Bryce? I have been thinking about buying a good plug in or program, how does Vue contribute to Lightwave as far as doing things I can't do in LW or could do easier?
Check by yourself and make your own conclusions... :)
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/showcase/spotlights/

adrian
10-10-2008, 02:55 AM
To me there already is a "beach"; implied by the palm fronds.

Another question is... even in a landscape/seascape shot... what elements or element do you want the viewer to really take in. What other balanced elements outside of your main element will aid in helping us understand it.

What I really want the viewer to focus on is the sun, the distant islands and the golden clouds, rather than the actual beach itself as well as the water that is visible.

I just realised I made a critical omission from my first post. This picture will be for a DVD cover - so the picture will have text, title and a logo on it as well. Maybe I should put some dummy text/title in and re-post - in terms of composition it might fit a little better than it does now?

I've re-done the clouds (got rid of the trails) and lightened the horizon - will post an update tonight.

Shrox, you'll find that Vue can do vast landscapes and spectral clouds much quicker and better than LW. As for integrating the two I don't know much about that as yet - so far I've only imported some Vue trees/foliage into LW which seems to work ok.

cresshead
10-10-2008, 04:36 AM
I guess I am gonna focus on the composition/layout of this thread and not the technical execution of the elemental details.

Is it important to the composition to have a beach shown, so much that it is illustrated? Reason being, it may not be a needed, as a necessary pra.

O.T

love your avatar!:thumbsup:

virtualcomposer
10-10-2008, 09:54 AM

Vue and Bryce are like to night to day. Vue is incredible and Bryce is a beginners program for people who have some interest in 3D but don't want to invest a whole lot into it. Vue and Lightwave are two different types of 3D apps. Vue is mainly a landscape/matte painting type program. I've noticed that Vue can't make a space scene look real at all but LW can't make a beautiful landscape scene like Vue can. It just depends on what you are looking to do. I love Vue and want to upgrade it if I can try to afford it. I would stay away from Bryce since nothing will look very photo real and it's also very limited.

adrian
10-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Ok here's a small update - got rid of the cloud trails and put in the DVD titles and subtitles (not the real ones as it's for a friend's commercial product soon to be released). Also lightened the horizon a little (Vue seems to have a dark horizon all the time). The product is relaxation-related hence the soothing sunset.

Does the text on there make the composition better or should I still move the camera up a little? I've still got to add some subtle details like distant birds and maybe a hot air balloon.

I think the right hand tree should come over a little more but I don't want it obscuring the sun.

Digital Hermit
10-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Before you even go into all that...

Now that we know some critical info was missing.

DVD/CD cases are a 1:1 ratio. Not 4:3. Your composition will be cropped, letterboxed or squeezed to fit.

adrian
10-11-2008, 01:41 AM
Yeah of course I forgot. I think what I'll do is re-render a low res version at the right aspect ratio and put it on top of a dvd case template and we'll go from there.

adrian
10-11-2008, 04:36 AM
Ok here we go.

The picture has been lightened in order to show the template below. For now I'd just like some feedback on the composition. I also rendered as "preview" out of Vue to save time so it looks pretty dire.

BTW is it possible to justify text in Photoshop (ie both sides rather than just on the left)? I have PS7 but have access to CS2 at work.

Thanks again!