PDA

View Full Version : Eye eye

T-Light
10-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Been writing a program for some time now.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been having huge issues with transparency (dx9). By yesterday evening I was so fed up I thought I'd lounge about and play instead. Loaded up an old LW eyeball object and started doodling in front of the tv, if it looked like cr*p, I'd throw transparency out of the program.

Here's the dx9 screen grabs with colour / specular / reflection / transparency and normal maps. Not what I'd consider finished and not something that's rendered in LW, thought the sketch threads would be a good home for them. :)

Oedo 808
10-08-2008, 12:13 PM
I kinda like what you've posted, but I also kinda have no idea what you just said, as in I'm not exactly sure what it is I'm looking at.

Admittedly the wine is not helping clarity of thought.

T-Light
10-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Wow, you're starting early Oedo :thumbsup: Give me about two hours and I'll be on your trail :D

Less confusing version of the above post (hopefully)...
I'm writing a texture painting prog, I'm not happy with its current transparency section, was thinking of removing it, decided to have a play with it instead and painted up an old LW eye model. The above piccies are cropped screen grabs of the doodling in action :)

parm
10-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Beautiful Iris texture.

Did you do that with your program?

Oedo 808
10-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Wow, you're starting early Oedo :thumbsup: Give me about two hours and I'll be on your trail :D

That's the spirit! (or wine as the case may be) :D

Less confusing version of the above post (hopefully)...
I'm writing a texture painting prog, I'm not happy with its current transparency section, was thinking of removing it, decided to have a play with it instead and painted up an old LW eye model. The above piccies are cropped screen grabs of the doodling in action :)

It's hard to say because I can't tell what is doing what, if that makes any sense. I can see that the reflection of the eye is too dull and that there is a bit too much of a rainbowy effect around the eye, but how that ties in with the transparency implementation as opposed to how it's been executed is too hard to say.

I can say that there's a lot to like in those screens, was that iris done in your program?

T-Light
10-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Parm

Beautiful Iris texture.

Did you do that with your program?
and
Oedo

was that iris done in your program?
Yes :)
Although there's nothing clever going on, the iris is drawn with a small airbrush on a low alpha setting, same way as it would be drawn with photoshop. The benefit with the program is seeing the iris colour take shape in the 3D view as you draw.
Oedo

It's hard to say because I can't tell what is doing what, if that makes any sense. I can see that the reflection of the eye is too dull and that there is a bit too much of a rainbowy effect around the eye, but how that ties in with the transparency implementation as opposed to how it's been executed is too hard to say.
You're right, the eye lacks an atypical highlight, looks the eye is dead. (although it could be because the eye is turned away from the light). The transparency problem I've been having doesn't really show in the images above (there've been several issues, I'm down to one), Suppose the doodling yesterday was to see wether it was worth spending more time with the transparency feature or just press on and get this thing out.

It's very difficult to control the spec/reflect/trans at the moment, it's down to the way these things are painted, at present I'm sending an RGB straight into the shader, the shader splits the rgb into specular/reflection/transparency. Problem is, the program currently works in RGB colour space, which is a nightmare, you have to keep each tone in your head for which effect, R=Spec / G=reflection / B=transparency, then mix to taste. This problem will be removed over the next week or so and the channels split, I'll have another bash at the specular then, it'll be a lot easier to control.

Oedo

That's the spirit! (or wine as the case may be)
Nah, spirit (drops more ice into an empty glass), chin chin :D

parm
10-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Yes :)
Although there's nothing clever going on,

Well you wrote a program. That's pretty bloody clever. :)

Will we be able to try it out sometime?

Hopper
10-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Beautiful Iris texture.

Oh no... The Iris don't make good wine at all ..horrible horrible texture... but Ale... now that's another story... <*hic*>

On the 3rd Guinness meself ... Cheers lads...

Oedo 808
10-08-2008, 10:43 PM
@T-Light

The iris texture is very important, I've seen many a character spoiled because of having lifeless eyes. I have no idea how to go about making an iris because I'm not really at the character stage yet, but I am eager to find a good way of making them so I find your program very interesting. As I said, the screens look very promising, good luck with it.

@Hopper

Oh no... The Iris don't make good wine at all ..horrible horrible texture... but Ale... now that's another story... <*hic*>

:foreheads .... :D

@All

This forum is full of drunken bums.... excellent! :beerchug:

T-Light
10-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Oedo

This forum is full of drunken bums.... excellent!
:D

The iris texture is very important, I've seen many a character spoiled because of having lifeless eyes If I get time a little later, I'll take another look at it then maybe render in LW for comparison, they won't be identical, different light position, different kinds of lights, but I'll take a look. :)
Parm

Well you wrote a program. That's pretty bloody clever.

Will we be able to try it out sometime?
Oh yes. :thumbsup: can't give a date though unfortunately, there's still a fair bit to do.

bluerider
10-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Like the Iris textures alot. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

T-Light
10-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Cheers Graham :thumbsup:

Sorry for not getting back in here earlier. I'll LW test these maps as soon as the prog has a way to level out areas of a bump map :) (over zealous bump mapping partialy responsible for the 'dead eye' look. I could level things out in photoshop, but that would be cheating.

GregMalick
10-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Please tell me that are working on a plug-in that allows painting textures natively in LW. :heart:

T-Light
10-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Nah, sorry Greg, it's a seperate app. Load your model ->paint/create your maps-> output the maps. No modeling / sculpting tools to increase the learning curve. I'd like this to be something you can use a couple of times, load it two months down the line and still know how everything works :)

edit - ie, even though it's not natively LW, I'm hoping that although it's a seperate app, it won't be too much of a problem.

GregMalick
10-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Darn! :cry:

It's not any problem... it's just not as exciting as painting textures, displacements, and weight maps in native LW.

Guess I'm just spoiled 'cause most other apps support this.

dodoy
11-29-2008, 06:03 AM
When i saw the eyes pictures you posted i fell terrinle. Seems some monster looked at me!

dodoy
11-29-2008, 06:05 AM
when I saw the eyes you posted i fell terrible. It seems some monster are looked at mt. HaHa!

dodoy
11-29-2008, 06:07 AM
When I saw the eyes picture you posted I feel terrible. It seems some monsters are looked at me. HaHa.