PDA

View Full Version : How Do I View The Influence Area for the Magnet Tool?

Giacomo99
10-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Hello-

I'm fooling around with the Magnet and Drag Net tools, and I have two questions:

1. The illustration in the manual shows the influence area visible as a blue circle, but I don't see it when I use the tool. How can I make the influence area visible?

2. Is there any way to adjust the influence area, other than numerically?

Please advise.

Dexter2999
10-08-2008, 11:33 AM
I think it is right click to change the influence area.

Giacomo99
10-08-2008, 11:48 AM
I think it is right click to change the influence area.

Thanks, that works! Unfortunately I still can't see the influence area. Please advise.

flakester
10-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Right-click and drag usually does the trick.

If you cannot see the blue influence area either by the right-click & drag or numeric methods, I'd say it might well be a graphics card /driver issue. If my memory serves correctly [no guarantees!] I have seen something along similar lines somewhere on the forum.

Hope that helps some.

flakester.

Dexter2999
10-08-2008, 02:32 PM
just to be clear...Are you saying that you don't see the influence area at all? Or that you want to see it while the tool is in use, not just when changing the area?

Giacomo99
10-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Right-click and drag usually does the trick.

Yeah, that did it. Weirdly enough, I never knew about the right-click-and-drag thing before (probably because I'm a longtime Mac user.) I imagine my Lightwave workflow might become quite a bit smoother now that I've discovered it.

Thanks to all.

flakester
10-08-2008, 03:27 PM
You're more than welcome :thumbsup:

flakester.

Surrealist.
10-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Yeah as you probably have guessed it works for all of the tools. The DragNet tool is very handy for this. Interactively RMB drag the circle to a new size, grab a point and go. I use this one all the time.

EDIT: Oh, I see you were looking at DragNet too.

Hopper
10-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Just don't make the same noobish mistake I did over and over, which was not paying attention to the influence area in the other axis windows. For some tools, it makes a difference.

Giacomo99
10-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Yeah as you probably have guessed it works for all of the tools.

Yes. Even though I've known what the Drag Net and Magnet tools do for years, I've never used them until now--because unless one knows about the right-click and drag thing, they're so awkward as to be unusable.

It's a real shame that so much of Lightwave's functionality is so poorly documented--most of the docs, both official and third-party, seem to be produced either by technical writers with no clear sense of how to actually use the tools, or by talented professional 3Ders who aren't very clear about explaining them.

Given the way the economy's headed, however, I may soon have nothing better to do than hitchhike to Texas and volunteer to rewrite the Lightwave manual. I can bring a tent and sleep in NewTek's parking lot.