PDA

View Full Version : Mirrored boned heirachy stuck to wrong mesh

The Dommo
10-08-2008, 04:33 AM
Hey clever LW folks...!

Got stuck last night and couldn't find an answer to the following:

Have a model of a forearm and hand. I've tweaked it some more, and finally mirror cloned it for the opposite arm, in a seperate layer in Modeller.

Then in Layout I have rigged up the right arm and hand, and tested the rig and it seems ok for my needs.

I should add at this point that LW bones are new to me... I have Larry Shultz's LW9 rigging DVD but not had a chance to watch it yet (I will though Larry, don't shoot me!). His IK Boost class I attended online was ace, though not what I need for this I think.

So, I figured that if I mirror the heirachy using that specific bone tool, it mirrors nicely and perfectly into the right place of the left arm, where I want it.

Unfortunately after some playing around I realised those bones weren't deforming the left arm, because they were parented to the right arm mesh.

So, I thought Ok I'll just reparent them to the left arm. Simple. But no, LW tells me I cannot unparent, or change the parent. So how the chuff do I reassign those bones to the other mesh?

My workaround I figured out in the shower this morning was that I save the original bone heirachy out as a rig file, then reimport that rig and mirror it etc, and then make that rig a child of the mesh I want. But that's a bit of a workaround for something that in theory should be simple enough...?

What am I doing wrong? :santa:

Surrealist.
10-08-2008, 06:38 AM
The bones should be a part of the the same object. Put your other arm in the same layer and magically it will all work. :D

SplineGod
10-08-2008, 07:09 AM
I rarely if ever use skelegons for rigging. Its easier and more straightforward IMO to do it in layout. You can clone heirarchies and mirror them in layout as well.
As Rich pointed out, if you use skelegons keep them in the same layer and in the same layer as your character to keep things simple.

The Dommo
10-08-2008, 10:28 AM
I've not used skelegons though, they are regular bones and child bones drawn in layout. They just won't let go of the mesh that I don't want them to use!

I'll try whacking them back on their own layer in Modeller then... I'd seperated them out, trying to be efficient and organised... hmmph!

Nemoid
10-08-2008, 12:11 PM
it is because opposite arm is still onto another layer.
Put both arms in the same layer and all should work fine.:)

SplineGod
10-08-2008, 05:30 PM
For me, efficient is keeping bones and the object in the same layer. That way I dont have to worry about any weirdness. :)

Surrealist.
10-08-2008, 08:24 PM
I've not used skelegons though, they are regular bones and child bones drawn in layout. They just won't let go of the mesh that I don't want them to use!

I'll try whacking them back on their own layer in Modeller then... I'd seperated them out, trying to be efficient and organised... hmmph!

OK a little more explanation so it makes more sense as I wake up.... :)

It is just the way that it works with bones, you see they act on the entire mesh of one object which theoretically would be either all connected points or at least in the same layer. The way it works is that each bone has the potential to pull every point on the mesh. This is why if you put one bone in a model it will pull the entire model unless you 1) adjust its influence or 2) add another bone which will mow share the influence with the other bone. And this is basically what you are doing when you create a rig which could be considered basically a 3 step process. 1) Boning it 2) setting up some kind of IK relationship, and design of how it is to be controlled and 3) balancing and adjusting the influence of the bones on the points, hence the term "weighing". And this can be done with weightmaps or bone influence - adjusting the bone properties, adding hold bones etc.

The bottom line is the rig is assigned to one object.

All that said, you can open the bones property panel with the layer that has no bones and select "use bones from...." and pick the object with the bones. This is how you an object to work with bones from another object. But the bones must first be part of an object to begin with. But as Larry said it is probably a better idea to keep the bones in the same object and I agree, just giving you the information.

The Dommo
10-09-2008, 03:47 AM
Thanks Gents,
I knew this was the right place to put the question!

If I'm not home too late tonight from working on a music video for an X-Factor contestant, I'll try these things out.

:) I love learning 3D :)

P.S. Cheers Rich. I will try to be online at the weekend sometime if you're around!

Surrealist.
10-09-2008, 05:05 AM
Cool. Hope the info helps. You gotta do some tuts on rigging! And yeah, Ill be around. :)

The Dommo
10-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Well, I have tried the 'use bones from' and that worked fine, but just to be safe, I switched back to modeller and combined the two layers back into one, and yes the bones work fine.

Thank you! :)