PDA

View Full Version : 64-bit, 3rd-Party Flash Player Available Anywhere?

Quiet1onTheSet
10-07-2008, 07:19 PM
I just discovered that when using Internet Explorer 7, 64-bit version, it's impossible to play Flash-encoded content via an Adobe solution.

For now, one must run Explorer 32-bit version, to use the available Flash players from Adobe.

So-o-o-o-o-o-o-o, anybody got knowledge of a 64-bit media player that'll handle the latest Flash encodes, without having to wait on Adobe to supply the food-chain with a 64-bit compatible Flash player?

Thanks,
Q1

FinalCutToast!
10-07-2008, 08:02 PM
...got knowledge of a 64-bit media player that'll handle the latest Flash encodes, [/COLOR][/B]without having to wait on Adobe to supply the food-chain with a 64-bit compatible Flash player?...
Not sure if QuickTime Alternative, version 1.81 - the newest update (which works with XP64/Vista and also inside Internet Explorer 7, 64-bit) will play Flash media but why not give it a try -- you, or anybody else out there with 64-bit Vista.
http://www.start64.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=815

Somebody please let us know if it does.

Quiet1onTheSet
10-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Not sure if QuickTime Alternative, version 1.81 - the newest update (which works with XP64/Vista and also inside Internet Explorer 7, 64-bit) will play Flash media but why not give it a try -- You'd normally need an .flv-compatible player. Anybody out there play Flash video, inside a 64-bit browser? If so, how'd you pull it off?

Q1

ercaxus
10-10-2008, 06:55 PM
This is probably useless information and not windows but ubuntu 64bit does it. I believe they use the 32bit plugin within 64bit browser or something like that. Good luck.

IMI
10-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is the benefit to using IE 64 bit? I have Vista x64, so of course I have IE both 32 and 64, but I can't see any reason to use IE 64.

So?
And it better be something really LIKE WOW! to get me to go back to IE after using Firefox for three years. ;)

FinalCutToast!
10-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Something to ponder:

Bugs and lack of apps plague 64-bit users csütörtök, 09 október 2008

Vista boosters say that the 64-bit edition of the operating system runs applications faster and can address a lot more system memory than its 32-bit counterpart. Just don't tell that to Vince Heiker, a retired IT executive in the Dallas area who has used 64-bit Vista for some time — and hates the OS.

All versions of Vista have serious compatibility glitches, including problems with Office 2007, but the 64-bit release also suffers from a lack of applications written to take advantage of that version's ability to address more than 4GB of RAM.

In fact, Heiker and several other Windows Secrets readers begged to differ with my Sept. 25 story, which discussed the transition of desktop computing to 64-bit hardware and software.

"Plain, simple, and clear: Vista-64 is junkware. It is absolutely the worst, the buggiest software Microsoft has ever released," Heiker tells Windows Secrets.

What's worse, he said, is that Microsoft has no fixes for the vast majority of Vista's problems.

The full story is here:
http://www.start64.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2860&Itemid=126

adamredwoods
10-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Adobe says after Flash 10.
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=6b3af6c9

The only third party players are Gnash and that other one (?) but I don't think they are Windows or nearly stable enough.

biliousfrog
10-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Just out of curiosity, what is the benefit to using IE 64 bit? I have Vista x64, so of course I have IE both 32 and 64, but I can't see any reason to use IE 64.

So?
And it better be something really LIKE WOW! to get me to go back to IE after using Firefox for three years. ;)

I can't see any benefit whatsoever...My modem/router can only go at 10/100, my internet connection is 'up to 8mbps', my connection has never even reached 2mbps...so why would I need a browser that can address more than 4gb RAM on a 64bit OS?