PDA

View Full Version : Volumetric problems

KissMyGrits
08-03-2003, 11:57 PM
Ok, so I'm just LightWaving away, working with volumetric lights. Everything is going great, just the effect I was looking for, and then all of a sudden, BAM! No more volumetrics. They just wouldn't render, not even in Viper. I didn't change any settings or anything! This is stock lightwave, the only foreign plug-in I have at the moment is KW_EdgeSmoother (which I highly reccomend, despite the almost exponential polycounts). It's not the first time, either. This happened once before on a Mac OSX system I was useing. Very upsetting.

KissMyGrits
08-04-2003, 12:02 AM
Here are some images, doubtful they will help. There is just a displacement object, all the same settings, what I did was loaded the objects into a different scene. That's when all the problems started. Keep in mind I have been around the block a few times, I doubt there is something I just overlooked.

KissMyGrits
08-04-2003, 12:03 AM
And here is the working one. Feel free to take cheap shots at my objects and scene.

KissMyGrits
08-04-2003, 07:05 PM
Update: The volumetrics do render in Viper at this point, that is without the refraction object in the way, but no matter what I cannot get them to fully render. I'm thinking this must be some kind of a bug. If this has ever been addressed before somebody please let me know.

lwgal
08-05-2003, 06:44 AM
Does it render if you hide the object in the scene? I had a weird situation recently where I could render the volumetric light if I hid the object that it was close to by dissolving it to 100%. If I unhid the object, the effect wouldn't render. It does seem to be some sort of bug or something. I saved my scene and went back and rendered later (after doing a compositing test just to try out my effect by rendering the object and the effect separately) and it worked with the object visible in the scene. No idea why.

It may turn out to be a situation where you have to render in layers and composite later if you haven't been able to get it to work otherwise...that would be how the pros would do it anyway so that they could control the fire effect anyway and make sure that they got exactly the brightness/contrast etc. that they wanted anyway.

Good luck!