PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with fixed/sticky projection?

DonJMyers
10-07-2008, 03:25 PM
We are using build 1410 (v9.5) of LW here at FLash FIlmworks in Hwd. The fixed projection (formerly sticky front projection) doesn't seem to work. There are previous threads about this but has it been resolved? I just want to front project a microscopic image onto a shape, then move the shape and have the image from frame 0 stick to the object as it morphs slightly on later frames. The camera does not move.

I have one camera and one image. They are the same pixel size.

I create a color texture using "front project" and "fixed projection" is set to frame 0 which the bknd image is also set to lock to.

The object goes through a morph that changes it's shape but the front projection does not stick. It stays the same with a faint outline of my object where it should be but not what color it should be.

EEEK!

Netvudu
10-07-2008, 04:08 PM
I donīt recall if fixed front projection (which was never sticky...thatīs the name for the Worley tool, which the native tool does NOT replace though they have similar functionality) ever worked with morphing. I do know it doesnīt work at all with displacement or similar deformers.
Itīs not difficult to solve though. Create UVs for your geometry (any UVīs that donīt overlap. The automatic Atlas will be more than enough) and use the wonderful baking camera to bake the front projection into your undeformed geometry. Be generous with the resolution so that you donīt get pixelation later on. Now you can deform the object freely.

SplineGod
10-07-2008, 05:55 PM
I recall that it was called Sticky as well...hard to say. Some features seem to come and go or get forgotten sometimes.

DonJMyers
10-07-2008, 06:27 PM
We are registred owners of Taft plugin so we just downloaded the latest version and it works with 9.5 so everything is better. But gee that would be a nice feature to have native.

Netvudu
10-07-2008, 08:15 PM
I concur itīs weird that it doesnīt have that functionality. I donīt think it would be too tough for them to add it. I do understand why this could be pretty low on the list of priorities of the development team.

BeeVee
10-08-2008, 07:41 AM
BTW Don, yes it has been released (August 12th to be precise) and it's build 1455.

B

DonJMyers
10-08-2008, 03:14 PM
BTW Don, yes it has been released (August 12th to be precise) and it's build 1455.

B

I tried using the front projection in build 1474 and it didn't work.